Howdy

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackster

Hi gang,

I am due to start a course in January. It is one 3 hr night a week for 10 weeks.

I probably wont need to attend after the 3rd week, cos smoothing a bit of muck on a wall aint exactly rocket science is it?

I'll probably start up on my own sometime in mid February and undercut all of the local competition, to make sure I get all the work.

CALM DOWN, WIND UP OVER!!!!!!!!!!

In reality I am an ex sparky with 26 years man and boy experience, but I did a law degree and am now a solicitor with a local authority.

I've always had great respect for spreads (didn't know that phrase until I looked in on this forum) and it is a skill that I haven't always wanted to try.

So the course is simply to enable me to have a go at overboarding and skimming my horrible artexed ceilings and making good when I've been a bit heavy handed with the old bolsters. (I still do the odd leccy job)

I've read some comments with amusement on here about sparky's.

Best paid building trade?
Don't get dirty?

Your having a laugh on both counts!

A quick question please?

I've bought most of the tools I think I'll need (mostly MT) but can't decide on the best type of splash brush.

Can you let me know the most suitable type and size please, is it a fence brush, an emulsion brush, masonry brush etc?

Thanks in advance

Jackster

hi jackster..
any old 3" or 4" paint brush will do you as long as its not covered in paint..
try a spray plant mister bottle some swear by em...
although being a solicitor you should be able to afford to pay someone else off the course to come and do the job for tuppence ha'penny and save on doing the course yourself...
plus you get to nip down the pub for an extra 3 hours every week ;D

Thanks ChrisW

Unfortunately, I donate almost half of my salary to my favorite charity (the CSA) so am not quite as well off as I should be.

I'd probably do it myself anyway, I'm quite a hands on person and love learning news skills. Can't wait for the course to start. if I get as much plaster on the walls as I will probably get on myself, I'll be OK ;D

Believe it or not, I don't actually earn as much yet as I did as a sparky. That's mainly because of the silly hours I did whilst travelling up and down the country.

I now work a 36 hr week on flexi time, sat at my desk in a warm office and I've never been happier ;)

welcome to the forum!

Yeah sparkys get a fair bit of flak on this forum and my GF's old man is a sparky and he is a bit of a tosser however the jobs i have seen on his he has not done anything to annoy me!

Good luck wit the course you will enjoy it dont go self employed.....lol

All the best

Danny

Thanks for the welcome lads.

Unfortunately, I commited the henious crime in a different thread, of suggesting that most sparkies probably don't realise how much leaving the cables out annoys you guys.

For this terrible crime, I was called a "t**t" and apparently I don't have a sense of humour either, for finding this a little out of order.

It wouldn't be too bad If this was just the grunt of a lone knuckle dragger, but no one else appears to have picked up on it.

Sometimes other forums get a bit tetchy or aggresive, but there is never a shortage of people to let the knuckle draggers know when they have stepped out of line, especially with new members.

Regretfully, that doesn't appear to be the case on here.

Many times over the years, I have returned to a job to 2nd fix it and marvelled at the skill of a good spread and the transformation his work brings to the building. This is one of my main motivations for wanting to learn as much as I can about it.

I don't doubt that I'll need loads more help and advice during and after my course, but I won't be risking another of Madmonk's hilarious brainstormers by asking anything on here.

Thanks anyway, all the best

Jack

Jackster said:
Thanks for the welcome lads.

Unfortunately, I commited the henious crime in a different thread, of suggesting that most sparkies probably don't realise how much leaving the cables out annoys you guys.

For this terrible crime, I was called a "t**t" and apparently I don't have a sense of humour either, for finding this a little out of order.

It wouldn't be too bad If this was just the grunt of a lone knuckle dragger, but no one else appears to have picked up on it.

Sometimes other forums get a bit tetchy or aggresive, but there is never a shortage of people to let the knuckle draggers know when they have stepped out of line, especially with new members.

Regretfully, that doesn't appear to be the case on here.

Many times over the years, I have returned to a job to 2nd fix it and marvelled at the skill of a good spread and the transformation his work brings to the building. This is one of my main motivations for wanting to learn as much as I can about it.

I don't doubt that I'll need loads more help and advice during and after my course, but I won't be risking another of Madmonk's hilarious brainstormers by asking anything on here.

Thanks anyway, all the best

Jack

jack its a pity your not gonna stick around there is plenty of good advise on here and maybe a little banter, if your serious about learning to plaster and need advise stick around. I will agree there wasnt really any need to greet you in such a way and i can understand you taking this stance, ive posted on quite a few forums and they get a bit repetative its only banter and to be honest your first post was pretty witty i think you may enjoy if you stayed if not good luck on your course mardy bum ;)

i cant help but wonder what would happen if i went on a sparkies forum and said 'sorry lads, i didnt realise filling your boxes with plaster pissed you guys off'...
go on tony, your usually up for it.. ;D

shame to lose a member.... stick around you will see we are nice deep deep down

You will learn a lot here I still do

Danny

That is just typical of a spark no sense of fun, not last in this game long with you (french word) taking twets

if you can't take the banter then thats a shame. its not personal and you know your not liked if you DON'T get the pi55 taken out off you.

i was only jokin jackster dont take it too heart mardy buum you will have to take the knocks on here im afraid electricians all the same very touchy

Status
Not open for further replies.