How to avoid artex skimming failure

BeckyL

Hi,

I am renovating my flat which was built in 1967 and all the ceiling has artex.

I plan to get all the ceiling skimmed because I hate small dots (phobia…) but a neighbour just warned me about his ceiling plaster failure. His ceiling was skimmed about 8 years ago.

Can any one with experience on artex please advice what other product besides PVA I can specify when getting plasterer to quote? I read that most of you say PVA should be fine but I don't mind spending a bit more on for peace of mind. Unfortunately overloading isn't a option. Most of my ceiling artex are painted, some areas like hallway and lounge has been re-artexed to fan patten maybe 10-15 years ago.

IMG_2400.jpg

Hi,

I plan to get all the ceiling skimmed because I hate small dots (phobia…) but a neighbour just warned me about his ceiling plaster failure. His ceiling was skimmed about 8 years ago.

Can any one with experience on artex please advice what other product besides PVA I can specify when getting plasterer to quote? I read that most of you say PVA should be fine but I don't mind spending a bit more on for peace of mind. Unfortunately overloading isn't a option. Most of my ceiling artex are painted, some areas like hallway and lounge has been re-artexed to fan patten maybe 10-15 years ago.

View attachment 75032
Get them all overboarded.
No need for any more discussion.
You're welcome.

May be concrete ceilings in a flat, only the top floor would you be able to overboard.
A 1967 flat would have a small amount of asbestos in the plastic ceiling material.
The stipple ceiling needs a scrape, PVA and a skim.
The fan pattern ceilings will need the same prep and a coat of bonding plaster to prevent any of the pattern showing through the skim.

May be concrete ceilings in a flat, only the top floor would you be able to overboard.
A 1967 flat would have a small amount of asbestos in the plastic ceiling material.
The fan pattern ceilings will need the same prep and a coat of bonding plaster to prevent any of the pattern showing through the skim.
That's true Malc, you can have a gold star.

I'm sure @ChrispyUK could think of a way to overboard a concrete ceiling

Hi,

View attachment 75032
Remove the skim coat and reskim it, you need to give it a quick wash and then grit it before plastering.
Bostic Cementone @ B&Q. will do the trick. Good luck .

Thanks for the replies, We can't overboard without applying for permission from the freeholders and managing agent. The cost is more almost £1k for an application, solicitor & surveyor fee.

Does Bostic Cementone works for painted as well as none painted artex?

Thanks for the replies, We can't overboard without applying for permission from the freeholders and managing agent. The cost is more almost £1k for an application, solicitor & surveyor fee.

How would they ever know?

Mix a bit of SBR in it.

If its painted just give it a coat of Cementone and leave it to dry overnight.

Hi,

View attachment 75032
a decent spread would know how to prep that background correctly....you would'nt need to 'specify' anything

Thanks everyone. So I found a plaster through recommendation and and his work in my friend's home are very flat and neat. Despite seeing the photo of the neighbour's falling ceiling, he still think PVA should be fine because it never give him any trouble so far. He only used blue grit a few times, doesn't know anything about Bostic Cementone but happy to use it if I am worried. He used to work for company for 17 years and have just gone solo last year. so my questions is, should I go for blue grit that he has used it before or Bostic Cementone is a better suited product in my situation (heavy artex and painted) ?

Thanks everyone. So I found a plaster through recommendation and and his work in my friend's home are very flat and neat. Despite seeing the photo of the neighbour's falling ceiling, he still think PVA should be fine because it never give him any trouble so far. He only used blue grit a few times, doesn't know anything about Bostic Cementone but happy to use it if I am worried. He used to work for company for 17 years and have just gone solo last year. so my questions is, should I go for blue grit that he has used it before or Bostic Cementone is a better suited product in my situation (heavy artex and painted) ?
Cementone is a better product than blue grit, Imo.

Ffs when did customers start telling the spread how to prep the job that there quoting for.

I'd listen for 10 secs zone out and be gone so would anyone else that's decent and not desperate for work

Ffs aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhbhhhhhhhh