How do you stick paper tape on before skimming

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtsb

I'm planning on re skimming a ceiling with multi-finish and would like to try paper tape instead of self adhesive scrim tape to cover the cracks. Having read afew posts on this forum, it seems to be a better way of preventing cracks re appearing, but how do you stick the tape up before skimming.
Any advice for this Diy-er would be appreciated

Just cover the joints with a thin coat of your plaster and push the tape into that with your trowel then give the tape a wipe over with more plaster so you cant see it.
When your sticking your tape to the plaster don't press on too hard or you will push the plaster from behind the tape and it won't have anything to stick to and when covering it don't let it build up too much or you will have low spots and see every tape. If you use Knauf plaster you should do this about 1 hour before you start skimming but BG is fine to crack straight on with.

put a bed of finish on the joint and bed the tape on, you could bed with dry wall adhesive either or strong pva

Start off with the short joins and only mix a little plaster just to put the tapes on.
cut the tapes to size first and hang them to one side before you mix your plaster.
try to use a small midget trowel,if you have one.

Yes, but also why **** about sticking it.If your worried abot the crack you would be better to try and stop the movement.

What makes u say its down to movement? Some numpty may have missed some scrims when they last skimmed, who knows

What makes u say its down to movement? Some numpty may have missed some scrims when they last skimmed, who knows
Well when i re skim a lid with a crack i always try to find joists and screw em up tight.For the sake of 5 mins and a few screws normally sorts the issue.Still can not see the point of stcking paper tapes.

Paper tape can be superior to scrim in terms of hiding cracks. When scrim is used over an existing crack and reskimmed, the crack can reappear in the same place through the newly skimmed area, whereas with tape, the crack is hidden by the tape to begin with. If it does crack afterwards, it is most likely to appear along the edges of the tape, however, the likelyhood of this happening can be reduced by scrimming either side of the tape or covering it entirely with a wide scrim tape :)

Paper tape can be superior to scrim in terms of hiding cracks. When scrim is used over an existing crack and reskimmed, the crack can reappear in the same place through the newly skimmed area, whereas with tape, the crack is hidden by the tape to begin with. If it does crack afterwards, it is most likely to appear along the edges of the tape, however, the likelyhood of this happening can be reduced by scrimming either side of the tape or covering it entirely with a wide scrim tape :)
Hmm so you use both on the one crack ? paper tape then scrim ? bit OTT

And so basically you would only use this method once you have already ****** up doing the job the first time, enough said

Yeah i said both, no where did i mention you doing it that way always, just you being a presumptuous prick

Status
Not open for further replies.