Free Training

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigsegs

ok....now then, people pay silly money to go on a course to learn 'how to plaster'
problem is, like anything else, you dont gain any experience...
so i propose a solution!
come and work for me for 6 months...
it wont cost you a single penny!
all you have to do is turn up in the morning and do exactly what i tell you and i will GUARANTEE that if you're still with me after 6 months you will be in a position to put an ad in the paper and start your own business and earn good money cos youll be producing a high quality finish!
if youre a grafter you WILL be kept on...AND ill buy you lunch...
anyone interested?

wages not included.offer subject to work availablility.i reserve the right to sack you at any time(even though you dont get paid).

alrite seggsy am intrested but youd have to give me a couple of hours to get there every morning what do ya say to that?!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: ;D

tell u what, i'd much sooner buy a bloke lunch and get a grafter than not and get a waste of space...when i did general work all the time i used to buy the labourer breakfast AND lunch...difference in work output is amazing when theyve eaten properly...
i look at it as an investment... :cool:

alrite seggsy am intrested but youd have to give me a couple of hours to get there every morning what do ya say to that?!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: ;D
bloody hell 2 hours from durham! what you drivin a bleedin bugatti!

where are you segs?
Might just come and see you anyway!!!

peterborough...people will do anything for a free lunch!!! you dont need training anyway...you should be givin me tips!!!

if only you knew. lol
I'm only down the a1 in luton.
Did a job in peterborough couple of years ago. Never been back!
100 mile round trip. charged £80 and was asked why it was so expensive!!!!

Sounds very tempting! though i'm based in Oxford.

Very much looking for a route into Plastering, was supposed to be starting a 2 week Goldtrowel course today, but after speaking to a number of different Plasterers they say it's not worth the paper its written on and was bleeding expensive for what you get out of it and the best way to get started is to work as a Plasterers Labourer.

I'm a complete novice i hasten to add! :eek:

Any tips?

thats exactly my point! most plasterers who work alone will willingly train a novice in return for a hand on the job, at the end of the day we've all gotta learn how to mix up, lay on, flatten, trowel up, but you really start to learn when your actually in someones house avoiding the kids, trying to keep the place tidy, trying not to swear, patch up, bead up, skim like its your best ever job, clean out and get paid...all with a smile...you soon learn the tips...such as eat lots of food and keep moving cos if you stop you dont wanna get going again...even if its just cleaning up while waiting to trowel up...

an offer like segs's doesn't come along very often and someone should jump at it. It's gotta be the best way.
With regards to Goldtrowel i've heard good stuff. As long as you see it as a startpoint a course is ok.
If you do thier six week course they also put you in touch with nvq assessors and I've heard of guys doing that and passing nvq in 3 assessments. Annecdotally mind.

ps...update..
landed a decent size job, works on the up so i got the missus lad with me again...told him i'd stuck a tongue in cheek ad on here and he's goin like a BULLET!! ;D

ill keep yall posted in case he runs out of steam by the end of the week though... ;)

marky - you dont mention how much the gold trowel course is? or if youre working part time or on benefits? how are you pulling in the cash at the minute?
lets just say you landed a job workin for 2 spreads, they'll keep you movin without you havin to pick up a trowel, youll be worth 40 quid a day, its when its quiet and theres only work for 1 spread that youll get your training cos itll pay them better for one of em to take a day off and the other to take you with em...youll still mix up/clean up/make tea but youll still have loads of time to pick a trowel up and get used to it, you might even be given a cupboard to do all on your own but you'd be better off learnin to flatten off and more importantly WHY!
if you land a job with one spread on his own to be honest, all youre gonna be doin at first is mixin and cleanin etc so until you can at least flatten off good youre not really worth 40 quid just to knock up a couple of buckets of skim, clean a few windows, sweep the floor and make a brew...unless the bloke is particularly generous...he may as well spend an extra hour a day and keep the 40 quid...
SO...what you need to think about is how you can make yourself of some value, maybe offer to work for your lunch and a few beers, it takes some of the sweat out of the plasterers day and he'll be grateful for such a willing worker, stay on the rock and roll for a bit (i didnt say that btw its a bot/virus ::))
then, give it a couple of weeks and while your standing around waiting for him to give you sommat to do (assuming youve swept up/cleaned down and kept him in tea) grab a trowel and offer to start flattenin off...after a short while he'll realise your actually savin his back, youll get a routine goin flattenin off behind him and youll be worth 40 a day...
shortly afterwards youll get a chance to have a go at layin on...week later when youve managed to get most of it on the wall instead of you/the floor etc your gettin there...
keep watchin how he does it though...thats how youll answer your own questions mostly...
pick someone older than you, someone your own age would see you as a rival and tend to take the p'ss and keep you on the broom (testosterone innit)...we've all got sommat to prove when we're young! well most of us anyway!
best way to get a start locally is just put the word out your lookin for some plastering training and are willing to provide effort, 2 arms, 2 legs and some common sense in return, maybe the odd meat pie...and when i say put word out i mean tell everyone and anyone, not just who you think might give you a start, cos people talk, tell your gran, the postman, the ugly bint that fancies you down the chippie...anyone...except gordon brown
if you find the right bloke/team youll find that the more you put in, the more youll get out...but above all dont expect it to happen overnight, youll need 6 months experience minimum...then, when youre makin your own background suction decisions etc, and making your own mistakes, thats when you really start learnin

here here ;D
my lad does get pittance but i put the effort in to get him flattening in etc and hopefully (he's only 17) he'll have a chance to be earning very good money by the time he's 21 - 23.
if people think they can become a plasterer from a two week course .....................................you all know the rest ;)
the courses aren't a complete waste they might be better for an experienced labourer who's boss is holding him back a bit and needs to learn himself, or for d.i.yers , my advice would be go to work with a good time served spread who is willing to teach you and only if it's 20 a day cash it's better than paying for it :D
if you read the criteria, you could learn it in two weeks on site ...honest!

Status
Not open for further replies.