Darbys

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimPastey

Where is the best plasce to go for some desent darbys i looked on Refina but hey only got feather edges and straight edges

Cheers Pastey

Forget the Derby's and go with the h sections, this could get a bit confusing this thread,.... but if you really want a derby you can have mine, give me your address and just pay the postage!!, but just try one of the h sections first or even one of the roll top things they advertise (cant remember what they call em)

Paul is so right, the only good thing I can say about darbies is that they fly well, I managed to get it in the skip of the top lift.

don't get me wrong , back in the day they were a great tool, but always frowned upon by the the old school boys (yes there are spreads older than me) but at the end of the day you have to move with the times or get left behind ( i still don't sponge float multi though:huh:, but if it works for you fair play!!) but use an h section then a feather edge , you wont go wrong, or if your as skilled as me, just an h section :RpS_thumbsup:

what length edges do u guys use? i was always taught with a 6 and 8 ft feather edge. changed to h sections a yr or so ago and much prefere them, especially with spraying. but i no a lot of guys use 4ft edges...

We used to use a darby a lot in the days of floating internal walls, good tool when you get the hang of it.

Always floated with a darby years ago god knows what happened to it and how will a H section do the same job as a darby on floating?

what length edges do u guys use? i was always taught with a 6 and 8 ft feather edge. changed to h sections a yr or so ago and much prefere them, especially with spraying. but i no a lot of guys use 4ft edges...

I've not counted but I think I've carry about seven different length feather edges/h sections ranging from about 2ft up to just over 9ft. I only tend to use the longest for doing the box screeds on higher walls, where I prefer to be able to rule from top to bottom in one go. I like my feather edges to be the heavier grade which are stiffer (like the h section are) and will only use the lighter grade up to about 4ft. I find the lighter grade are just to flexible unless they are kept at close to 90 degrees to the wall, and this is why I don't use a darby as I've not seen one that is stiff enough IMO.

Why do you prefer h section over featheredge? And why does it seem no one uses a darby?

when ur spraying ur not putting on as flat as you would by hand. so when u rule ur pulling more off and then wiping it back onto the wall. with a featheredge it goes all over your hands. it doesnt with a h section.

I've not counted but I think I've carry about seven different length feather edges/h sections ranging from about 2ft up to just over 9ft. I only tend to use the longest for doing the box screeds on higher walls, where I prefer to be able to rule from top to bottom in one go. I like my feather edges to be the heavier grade which are stiffer (like the h section are) and will only use the lighter grade up to about 4ft. I find the lighter grade are just to flexible unless they are kept at close to 90 degrees to the wall, and this is why I don't use a darby as I've not seen one that is stiff enough IMO.

see i still only have a 6 and 8ft h section also, and a 4 ft serated. buyt a lot of guys go **** that, im not using an 8ft to rule a wall.... persoanlly if a wall is lat least 8ft wide and high, i use the 8ft for the whole wall. i just use featheredges for beading now

Rule off with a straight edge, fill in the hollows, derby, fill, devil float.

Why not straight edge, fill, straight edge again and devil float? What does the darby achieve? I'm not saying you're wrong but not being a darby user myself I'm interested to know what advantages people think they have.

I use a derby got mine from Wickes...I don't reckon this 'old school' you talk of ever even used straight edges of any kind most of the walls I've come across on refurb work are f**king terrible and look like they have been done by a blind man.

Hey , Hey FreeD they was the days when we use to go for drink at dinner. what do you expect in the afternoons when we was half pissed. Thinking about it there is more rough feckers about now then there ever whas. I will tell something else a lot of the old lads who served in the 2 nd world war those in navy spent hours on watch we salt water spray blinding there eyes and them poor feckers in the desert blinded by sand is it any wonder there eye sight was poor.

That explains the walls in my house then Henry was built in 76 all S&C & Skim, fcukin walls all over the place :-0 looks like I'll have to sort the old spreads work out :RpS_biggrin:
Looks like it was all done free hand didn't they rule off in the 70's :rolleyes)
Stairwell walls shocking!! :-0
Bloody p1ssheads :RpS_laugh:

Yer but Nisus your talking about the time of the 3 day week spreads had to do in 3 days what they would do in 5 days, power
cuts, building trade strikes so all in all nothing changes LOL.

it will always be the same through the generations, there will always be some that are not up to scratch, but this generations does seem to take the piss

Why not straight edge, fill, straight edge again and devil float? What does the darby achieve? I'm not saying you're wrong but not being a darby user myself I'm interested to know what advantages people think they have.

Derby to close it in, err ...ready to open it up again with the devil float.

After using the straight edge to take off the excess, I would run the derby over it vertically and then back over horizontally. Just the way I was shown I suppose Andy :RpS_thumbup:

Derby to close it in, err ...ready to open it up again with the devil float.

After using the straight edge to take off the excess, I would run the derby over it vertically and then back over horizontally. Just the way I was shown I suppose Andy :RpS_thumbup:

Oh right that sounds similar to what I do with a feather edge Bubbles except I rule it of and then close it in with the feather edge as I go. By the time I get to the bottom of the wall the only thing I have to do to the top is float it.
It's one of the best things about this forum is hearing how others would tackle things differently to yourself.

i concluded whilst rendering in the rain today that i dont like serated edges anymore. im struggling to see the point

Status
Not open for further replies.