Damp/ Condensation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali121

Hi there

I am in need of a 2nd/3rd opinion about the condition of the walls in my house - I think its a case of condensation but I have had one plasterer look at it and quote me for a damp proofing job so would appreciate further investigation/opinion

PM me for further details - the house is in East Berks/ West London borders

Thanks in advance

Hi there

I am in need of a 2nd/3rd opinion about the condition of the walls in my house - I think its a case of condensation but I have had one plasterer look at it and quote me for a damp proofing job so would appreciate further investigation/opinion

PM me for further details - the house is in East Berks/ West London borders

Thanks in advance
What makes uou think it's condensation and have you got any pics this will help

Many Thanks for the replies so far

Yes, there are black dots, mainly in corners and behind furniture as suggested (which I understand to be condensation and as such can be remedied through heating/ ventilation route)

but the walls at the front of the property (both ground and 1st) are wet to the touch, wall paper comes away easily and plaster that is then exposed is wet.

Whilst the ground floor may/may not be due to damp, rising damp does not travel to 1st floors right? So that is what makes me think it's condensation due to the windows never being open/ heating not on/ house left 'closed up' etc

Pictures are on their way, ideally I am looking for any of you good people who could come out and have a look yourself - a professional eye would be very welcome :)

Thanks again

Many Thanks for the replies so far

Yes, there are black dots, mainly in corners and behind furniture as suggested (which I understand to be condensation and as such can be remedied through heating/ ventilation route)

but the walls at the front of the property (both ground and 1st) are wet to the touch, wall paper comes away easily and plaster that is then exposed is wet.

Whilst the ground floor may/may not be due to damp, rising damp does not travel to 1st floors right? So that is what makes me think it's condensation due to the windows never being open/ heating not on/ house left 'closed up' etc

Pictures are on their way, ideally I am looking for any of you good people who could come out and have a look yourself - a professional eye would be very welcome :)

Thanks again
Sounds like condensation have you checked the around the windows, getters and roof? Also pointing and have you always owned the property? Has this problem just happened and what has changed to make this happen?

Flynny,I'll leave it to you to advise ALI 121 , full injection or fuel injection ?

havin a cheese sarnie meself Marra

is your house brick? with alot of the heavy rain and wind lately water gets in the bricks and pointing causing like damp on internal walls. is it an old house?

The roof and gutters were sound last time they were checked, the windows all look solid from the outside, but inside the house the wallpaper comes away in your hand (all very wet!) and ther are long large cracks in the plaster, particulalry at the top of the windows so in any case, it may be worth re-plastering?

when we bought the house a few years back it was (and still is) covered in wallpaper, so that was probably masking the condition of the plaster - house itself is from around 1928, but have no idea when the current plaster was put on it! At that time we painted over the wallpaper and there were signs of small areas of wet-patches on wallpaper, 'furry' mould in 1 small patch in the kitchen/diner but not wet-to-the-touch walls like it is now

If anyone would be willing to come to the house I would be very grateful for a quote for the work needed

Cheers

Yes brick house, no cavity wall, but all the wet plaster is on external walls, none of the internals walls have anything on them: black dots/ damp patches or anything

is your house brick? with alot of the heavy rain and wind lately water gets in the bricks and pointing causing like damp on internal walls. is it an old house?

Are u serious, I've got a shed/bedrooms for kids parties thing in my back garden. Anyway it's riddled with damp. Do you think the council will sort it out for me ??? It's worse when I turn the oven on

Yes marra they will do it free of charge, how many sleep in there? is there a carbon monoxide tester in there as carbon monoxide is dangerous you know it causes condensation & deadly mould :-0

Get yourself some spray for the mould ns wipe it off, bang the heating on for a few weeks live in it and them see what it's like, insulate the loft this can make the place lose heat which i think contributed to condensation. Put toilet seats down, empty the sinks, don't dry clothes on the rads, check around windows and doors and avoid silk paints oh and a vent won't go a miss :)

And paint the walls with anti condensation paint :RpS_thumbup:

Thats not a joke by the way you can actually buy it & it does work I've used it a few times :RpS_cool:

Yes brick house, no cavity wall, but all the wet plaster is on external walls, none of the internals walls have anything on them: black dots/ damp patches or anything

sounds like something wrong with the brickwork pointing on the front of your house, may well need damp proof course work, best person to contact would be a building surveyor.
also what flynnyman said, best advice in the meantime.

Yes marra they will do it free of charge, how many sleep in there? is there a carbon monoxide tester in there as carbon monoxide is dangerous you know it causes condensation & deadly mould :-0

All legal my freind, soke alarm everyplace ,
Surely the the council would pay to get my house sorted then ? I've got 4 bedrooms let out to students (lol, they say they are but pay the rent). I've given them all a calor gas heater but got massive condensation problems on ground floor and penetrating damp on 2 bedrooms (1 ours) and the other a rental in my attic conversion ?

Hmmm think you need a airbrick in your bedroom is the damp patch worse at bed time? :RpS_unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.