Conncrete path

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

User________removed

Private Member
Got a concrete path to lay in my back garden, its 180 ft long and needs to be about 1200 wide, im going to shutter off every so far so i can pour in slabs, im thinking this then can act as a expansion joint !!

Is there a rule of thumb as to how long a slab you would pour before putting in an expansion joint ???

Not sure on the exact measurement around the 3M mark i think.
I'm sure Lucius could tell you he's done a few before.

d*m**o for paths :RpS_thumbup:

Yeah there is that, d*m**o style lol :RpS_thumbup:

photo-473.jpg

For a concrete path you only need 75mm thickness and expansion joints at 2.25mtrs. A 100mm thick path should have expansion joints at about 3mtrs.
Use fibreboard expansion strips rather than timber to seperate each slab.

3 metres for 1.200 wide, if you pour alternate bays one day then drop back and pour the others the next its easier.

Looks like a path to the clothes line thing, probably so you don't get muddy feet when it's raining :RpS_thumbup:

Your some kind of idiot arent you? your disagreeing with what you said depth is a factor yes but on a path 1.200 wide 100mm or 75mm deep 3metre bays look right. you could go 6 metres and do a 3 metre groove what ever its a

Your some kind of idiot arent you?
You're or you are. Not "your". Idiot. hehe
your disagreeing with what you said depth is a factor yes but on a path 1.200 wide 100mm or 75mm deep 3metre bays look right. you could go 6 metres and do a 3 metre groove what ever its a
Ooh 'ark at you, luv! I am not disagreeing with what I said. I am disagreeing with you said
3 metres for 1.200 wide
It doesn't matter how wide the path is. It's the depth that determines the distance between the expansion joints. The formula is 30 x the depth in millimetres. For a 75mm path this is 2.25m. For a 100mm path it is 3m. No big deal but I'm sure you will get your nickers in a twist about it. LOL

Bet i dont been doing concrete for 32 years matey, edged and brushed, power float and a few fancy finishes as well learnt my stuff in Ozz where they know how to do it, didnt mean to upset you though but ime going through another one of my breakdowns. do you have a beard?

do you have a beard dont pick on the lad you both know your game on paths! bully!

Last edited:
lucy said:
Bet i dont been doing concrete for 32 years matey, edged and brushed, power float and a few fancy finishes as well learnt my stuff in Ozz where they know how to do it, didnt mean to upset you though but ime going through another one of my breakdowns. do you have a beard?
Me, upset? I was the one posting "hehe" and "LOL". I think the person that was upset was you. You were calling me an idiot when I asked you what the width of a path has to do with spacing of expansion joints. LOL
BTW, I'm 51 and I've been concreting longer than you but who cares about that?

Just to recap for anybody that is interested. File this away in your memory banks for future reference. 30 x the depth of your concrete in millimetres.

Think we just need to find the path of least resistance........:RpS_thumbup:

Last edited:
Me, upset? I was the one posting "hehe" and "LOL". I think the person that was upset was you. You were calling me an idiot when I asked you what the width of a path has to do with spacing of expansion joints. LOL
BTW, I'm 51 and I've been concreting longer than you but who cares about that?

Just to recap for anybody that is interested. File this away in your memory banks for future reference. 30 x the depth of your concrete in millimetres.

Amigo jo creo no, jo es 57 anjos proximo anjos so possible jo trabaco con hormigan a poco mas tiempo, no pasanado amigo, tiena mucho trabaco ahorra?

Friend I think not, it is 57 anjos next anjos possible so jo hormigan trabaco with a little more time, not pasanado friend trabaco tiena much less?

Was that what google translation made of it Steve? i know my Spanish writing aint that good but it does make better sense than that, anyway Big bruvbeardo will be along soon to confirm.

Was that what google translation made of it Steve? i know my Spanish writing aint that good but
Your English ain't much better mate! LOL.
You spelled quite a lot of it wrong. Your Spanish writing is probably similar to my Spanish pronunciation. I really stuggle with the pronunciation at times and get some funny looks from the dagos. :-0

You asked if I have much work? The answer is yes. I do general building. I've been very lucky. Me and the wife moved to Ibiza 5 years ago this month. The recession has hit the island but a lot of wealthy people own property here. A lot of money concentrated in a small area so it's been ok for me.
I do pretty much everything apart from the carpentry, electrics and plumbing and I subbed out some suspended ceilings recently because I struggle with overhead work these days (dodgy shoulder). I don't use any labourers full time at the moment because there isn't quite enough work right now but I get them in for a few days or weeks at a time.
It looks like I have a nice job coming up as this one finishes. The customers want loads of things doing like an extension, dry stone walls, landscaping, infinity swimming pool, indoor stuff etc etc. Not all at once though so I can keep a lot of the work for myself without having to sub too much of it out and it should keep me busy for quite a while.

Before I left in England I had been working as a bricklayer full time for 5 years. The subby I was working for had about 60 on the trowel. The last time I spoke to his wife she said they were down to 5! How is it where you are?

BigBruv what plaster do you use there, Yeso con perlita ? and do they have soft sand or the lorca white which is basically sharp sand?

Status
Not open for further replies.