Advice looking to start as a plasterer! is it a good idea and any advice would be fab

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayHS357

Hello all

love this site, and been busy reading about the up's n down's for becoming a plasterer!

i am a 30 year old, fully conversant in the ways of plastering for many years and also dot n dab and stud walls, but with no certs nor qualifications to show what i can do.
i am somewhat of a perfectionist and do a great job

I have been looking at this for a while now and this is what i love doing privately! and i am keen to get what advice as to course's and training and NVQ's and so on.
with AbleSkills? ( to name just one place to gain the certs) just to get the certs needed these days to work on site. i do not need the course to learn the trade, but i am sure i will learn some things that will be useful and also waste some time in doing mixing and perp work to gain a City & G, or NVQ for a few £££££ in the next few months.

i have done site work and new builds in the past and i think i know most of the pit falls and so on. and I do have my cscs card

but I need something to see me enjoy my days work, and i know plasering is the one for me.

but upon reading some postings on here from last year, is this a good thing to get into now? i am not looking to make a fourtune from plastering just a comfortable income in doing something i really enjoy.

i am about to ask some local plasterers if they wish to try me out to show my ability.

but this is one major site to get a number of views and some will be pratical and some not so ( i know ) but i simply need advice as to what you guys feel the state of the uk plaster/work is like now and maybe where it is heading..

i live in dorset on the sunny coastal town of poole.

listen any advice and any thoughts will be read and re read with open eyes and open mind :-0

so please do not hold back :RpS_crying:

You can still earn a living it's not that bad I'd get a temporary cscs card and see how you get on have a look on the Internet you can get you're basic year card for 30 quid by sitting a basic health and safety test I got my nvq through a local college

F*ck plastering its s**t I F*cking hate it........... Nahh only joking its mint i love it :RpS_confused:

love it :RpS_biggrin:

cheers guys for the fast feedback

re my cscs it is still valid so thats no probs. even then it is not any problem as it is a simple test and a few quid to re take.

not sure re the training venues to try, to get the certs needed? any advice to see if they are any good or not

If you've got a cscs you don't need certs yet it'll still get you on site, not sure if the cscs is only temporary until you get you're nvq so you might be restricted until you do get you're nvq as I'm not sure you can resit the basic cscs.....jesus did you understand that lol....flynnyman works for the cscsc branch when he's not pushing trolleys maybe he can give you some advice :)

mmmmmmm lost now, lol
but it is sunday night and now the JD is kickin in :rolleyes) but i think i get what you are saying dude

need some advice re the cert in a city n guild and NVQ in plastering. and where to avoid and where to go and see if they have a course suitable for me

Where are you based?
If you sit you're health and safety test it only lasts a year and you can't redo it you have to do the full nvq in that time.....I think

it works out that to have 7 weeks off, to do a C&G course, including NVQ will cost me £3.5k+ and also the 3 - 5k for the course. but i know it will be worth it for me to do something i love doing.

just dont want to waste me cash of a shabby company setup for the training course

Can you skim, float/set, render and d+d to a good standard and can prove this in a working environment?

Where are you based?
If you sit you're health and safety test it only lasts a year and you can't redo it you have to do the full nvq in that time.....I think
it lasts 5 years spunk mate i did mine last year runs out 2016

My cscs runs out next year as well which is weird as i did it the same time as my mate did and his runs out this year.

What's the difference between the temporary card and the full card
red is the temp card for people doin nvqs etc green is for basic skills or industry accredited ( folks who learned on the job day in day out )

you can get a labourers card which lasts 5 years :) but that only gives you the right to use a broom...lol

A lot of spreads had the labourers card when the cscs first came about and i still know quality trades men that still refuse to get one.

What's the difference between the temporary card and the full card

RED CARD - EXPERIENCED WORKER

Top This card is available to everyone with on the job experience (normally at least one year in the last three), but missed the industry accreditation opportunity.
To qualify for a card you need to:

• Check to see if your trade is covered by CSCS.
  • Pass the health and safety test
The card is valid for one year and is non-renewable.
The card is issued on a temporary basis, while a NVQ or SVQ is being achieved. It is expected to be replaced by a skilled five year card on achievement of NVQ or SVQ Level 2 or higher.

Hey there.

re the CSCS card

I have a "Basic Site Skills Only" cscs card for use when I was asked to work on MOD sites back in 2009,

it expires end of Feb 2014

it is classed as " Construction Site Operative" in Green! but is valid for 5 years

so my cscs is sorted

so back to me OP, about whom I should train with to get certs in plastering and so on. is there any company that you might know I should stay well away from?

Hey there.

re the CSCS card

I have a "Basic Site Skills Only" cscs card for use when I was asked to work on MOD sites back in 2009,

it expires end of Feb 2014

it is classed as " Construction Site Operative" in Green! but is valid for 5 years

so my cscs is sorted

so back to me OP, about whom I should train with to get certs in plastering and so on. is there any company that you might know I should stay well away from?

i have just noticed something?

What is the "Health & Safety" cscs course? is this the same as what i hve re my cscs or something more? as my original cscs was all about site safety and safe practice and do's and dont's so is it the same as the Health & Safety cscs

please advise

able skills do a 1 day nvq coarse for experienced spreads that just need the nvq......... just tell them your time served.. they just ask you questions etc.... i did my city and guilds there, ill be going to goldtrowl for the nvq tho.. seems like a better centre...

Status
Not open for further replies.