2 layers of 15mm soundbloc into resilliiant channel

Hi, I'm a starting a job where it is required for me to install 2 layers of 15mm soundblock into resilliant channel. The spec states self tapping screws be used to tack the boards, 25mm & 42mm for the second layer. I'm struggling to find a 42mm self tapping collated screw & was wondering weather a fine thread screw would be suffice for the second layer.

Thanks
James

Screwfix do a 40mm and a 50mm phillips countersunk self-drill screw that'll do that. Nobody will notice it being 2mm short. I doubt even a 50mm will come out the other side if its a partition. A lot of fixers use standard screws and a bit more grunt with a driver.

As I don't have a screw gun or a driver it's easier for me, but slower, to use self-drill. I can't justify it but I'd love a screw gun - I'd zoom around putting feck knows how many screws in everywhere, just like the young labs do.
Then have to take off 'em because they (I) forgot to stagger the boards.

If you’re using an impact to screw up, get a dimpler so the screws don’t go through the paper. The drywall screws only need to penetrate the resi bar by 10mm, so in theory, a 25mm fine thread screw for first layer, and a 42 for second layer won’t reach the joist and defeat the object of the resi bar. Hilti screws are sharp as f**k, I’d use them. Some self cutting screws are blunt .

Standard corse thread drywall screws will suffice, you just have to push a little harder initially until the screw gets started.
Collated screw gun saves so much time and remember to stagger the joints on the second layer of boards.
Course thread are for fixing to timber, fine thread are for metal.

You shut up cunty
2E35589A-9E41-4F12-ACB1-50B1EA69DACF.gif