Your advice please chaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hairybear

Right, a pal of mine has asked me to sort this out.....obviously caused by using cheap galv beads which have blown.

So got a couple of questions for you. Firstly, what materials, processes would you say they've used here? At first I thought it was s&c but upon closer inspection it seems like some kind of bagged render with a slurry coat finish.....forgive the lack of terminology here....

Also, how would you tackle access across the porch apex? Any tips other than getting a scaff company in?

i know this is probably billy basic stuff to some of you time served spreads however, as some of you will recall, external finishes is not my thing outside of basic s&c ...but ain't scared to have ago if I'm given the right direction.

any advice...tips, abuse welcome.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 316
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 258
The Bell cast has completely corroded and is on the way out on the corner beads all over the house but as you say, far worse over the lead. Maybe galvanic action.......I don't know.. The bell casts have been bonded onto the flashing......?

The Bell cast has completely corroded and is on the way out on the corner beads all over the house but as you say, far worse over the lead. Maybe galvanic action.......I don't know.. The bell casts have been bonded onto the flashing......?

if the bell cast beads have been fixed with thistle/ carlite bonding then the bonding has broken down. the brickwork looks a mess. i would give this job a miss.

Malc, how would you make this good? I'm contemplating hacking off what's there, and using S&C and I'll admit it's because I've never used anything else than S&C in anger ( apart from a 3 day k-rend course I did ages ago which I've all but forgotten. If I prime the block/ brick/existing with an sbr/cement slurry first.....What's your thoughts?

If this was business I'd not touch it for obvious reasons but as it's a mate, I'd like to help if poss....

i would rib lath and render the walls again.
i have never repaired hybuild. the dormers are not a problem to over render. for a cheap job, cut the beads off, render, you may be able to get the hybuild pattern with a coat of very wet cement and sand and pull a paint roller covered in either a plastic tube or an empty mastic tube down wards, then decorate the whole wall.
this is how we produce a similar pattern in ewi

The problem here has been the existing beading rusting and, due to it being bonded onto the flashing has blown as lead expands and contracts a lot with heat. Is it acceptable/the done thing to bond beads onto lead?...

The problem here has been the existing beading rusting and, due to it being bonded onto the flashing has blown as lead expands and contracts a lot with heat. Is it acceptable/the done thing to bond beads onto lead?...

I wouldn't

you can not use internal plaster to fix beads on externals. either screw and plug, stick with external tile adhesive, nail.

Can you see up as far as where the lead is raggled? If it's siliconed properly & neat enough you could Bellcast above it. If not the lead needs prepped with wire wool/ primer(calcium playmate) or aluminium primer & hope for the best with a fixing.big silicone filled wraggle wont help with a key either

Can you see up as far as where the lead is raggled? If it's siliconed properly & neat enough you could Bellcast above it. If not the lead needs prepped with wire wool/ primer(calcium playmate) or aluminium primer & hope for the best with a fixing.big silicone filled wraggle wont help with a key either

no, but it can't be too further up. I suppose I could raise the bellcast, so bond it to the block just above the raggle.....have to do the same both side tho...

I'd check how the lead is fixed,assuming nothing, it could be badly fixed hence the Bellcast being fixed.I hate surprises also :)

Status
Not open for further replies.