Young or old

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok how would it be received if I just turned up at a job with my tools and asked if I could muck in? Would they think I was mad and start throwing hammers and **** at me.? I've noticed that plastering is a job where not many want to help others get in on there patch.

Had two young lads, from this forum approach me for 'work experience'. Even tho they said they'd work for free I said I'd pay em.....neither of them turned up!

starting to wonder if it's me!

Ok how would it be received if I just turned up at a job with my tools and asked if I could muck in? Would they think I was mad and start throwing hammers and **** at me.? I've noticed that plastering is a job where not many want to help others get in on there patch.

Al give the address for the morning , some random dude turn up and starts doing your work for you sounds good :RpS_thumbsup:

Had two young lads, from this forum approach me for 'work experience'. Even tho they said they'd work for free I said I'd pay em.....neither of them turned up!

Haha the must of found out ur other hobbies and thought **** that , heard u liked young lads :RpS_lol:

Cos they saw 'Savile Plastering - we destroy cracks' on your van :RpS_biggrin:

it is very difficult to find any plasterer to teach an apprentice these days. i do not know of one plasterer who is direct employed by a firm. it was the direct employed plasterers who trained apprentices.
we are all piece workers on the lump sum, so it is a race to get finished get paid and get home. we have not trained anyone for 20 years.
my eldest son who has his own plastering business, has one young chap about 21 years old, he has been to collage got his level 2, he is a good worker but he will miss the odd day ,just when you need him, because he has been up the pub the night before.

Yeah I see that on here a lot, but like you said there isn't that much help out there to get on and learn with others out to make there own cash whilst taking the time to train someone. The problem is big firms abused there position too, I did a bricklaying apprenticeship when I left school with Barrett homes for year and a half but never got anywhere near a wall, just sweeping out house after house. Didn't even mix up. The agent would go mad as his view was I was earning them ( the brickies) money if I was working for them. Cheap as chips labour that kept there budget down I guess.

Yeah I see that on here a lot, but like you said there isn't that much help out there to get on and learn with others out to make there own cash whilst taking the time to train someone. The problem is big firms abused there position too, I did a bricklaying apprenticeship when I left school with Barrett homes for year and a half but never got anywhere near a wall, just sweeping out house after house. Didn't even mix up. The agent would go mad as his view was I was earning them ( the brickies) money if I was working for them. Cheap as chips labour that kept there budget down I guess.

barrett homes are developers, just house bashers with a load of site animals., not builders. you need to do an apprenticeship with a building firm or a plastering firm that employs its own direct labour force, that carries out quality, variable contracts.

George if you lived near norwich id take you on tomorrow pal. Keep plugging away mate cause with your kind of attitude im sure you'll go far.

Cheers Scottie,I did a wall for a friend's inlaws and the have asked me to come do some more bits so that's a nice little confidence boost :)

Just put an ad on gumtree george. State u only do small jobs and take it from there. Seen some shocking work from so called experienced plasterers..

I'm far from perfect but every job I do gets that little bit closer. Building up on my tools as I need them also helps. Next on the list is a dab radio so I can get absolute radio to work too.

You have the right attitude george, you will be fine, keep small and build up bigger with experience, unlike coursers who after the course think their 10 men.. keep doing what your doing and as your confidence grows , so will your earning potential..

You have the right attitude george, you will be fine, keep small and build up bigger with experience, unlike coursers who after the course think their 10 men.. keep doing what your doing and as your confidence grows , so will your earning potential..

Nail on head.

Cheers guys. My aim is to make a good living out of it in around 5 years. I've got flexibility in my driving job so I have the ability of doing bits and bob's around putting bread on the table. I've also has some good input and advice off the forum witch helps.

Most are between a rock and a hard place. How can you justify paying someone £250 a week when your a sole trader. The money has to come from somewhere usually out of your pocket.
1 in 20 lads are ok. I've had one with me for a week and all he does is moan. Hopefully it will pass.
I know of two firms who has one plasterer each on their books. They'll never take on plasterers apprentices if they do they cut them loose once the funding is gone before they've finished learning.
They're needs to be more funding for employers like Danny says.

The big firms I know have a lot of apprentices chippys etc but as soon as they're 2 or 3 years is up they're out the door as the funding stops

if y take someone young on throw there fone in the first mix otherwise theyll be on it all day

Status
Not open for further replies.