yell.com

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruddez

anybody use yellow pages and yell.com my experience is that it doesnt work as it did many years ago i had 2 calls last year and had one job from them its that time of year now where yellow pages are phoning wanting me to upgrade the ad with websites etc which will cost £517 is it really worth it,anybody had the same experience`

Hey

I've got a free directory, got two jobs off it, prob made about 1500 but then got recommended off that so it all goes towards. I wouldn't pay for it though. Apart from my yell still lurking about and my website I don't advertise anymore. Seem to tick over ok off word of mouth and I prefer it that way so long as it keeps up. There's too many weirdo's out there

i set up the free ad a few years ago last year i had nothing off it but the year before i had loads, i get quite a few off the thompson local free ad though

Yellow pages is not that bad , i did manage to find a book shop that sold me a copy of Fly fishing by J.R.Hartly.:RpS_thumbup:

i got sucked into yell.com two years ago...they promised that x amount of people searched plaster in my area bla bla basicly promising the earth... it cost me 500 odd quid and had 1 fone call in return needless to say i think its ****

I spend 130 a month on yell.com and the book it's only just paid for its self no more might just keep yell.com going this time

You're better off paying some kid to put leaflets on peoples windscreens. The internet has killed them off: their turnover over the past decade has gone down the pan. They will soon be another casaulty of the credit crunch. Times are changing...

Like the bigfella said, use the free ad. i normally get a handfull of jobs each year off mine but i wouldnt pay to be on it

If you really want to try them out, phone them up and give them your requirements. They will give you figures about how many people search for plasterers each month. When you hear the price, tell them that it's too expensive. Then ask them for a free one month no obligation trial to test the waters. If they decline, then offer them £10. At the end of the day, they are a business: whatever little money they can make they will take it, even if it's a loss leader in the hope that you'll return and give them more money.

When I advertise in magazines, I never pay the going rate. If they say to me it's £250 for a quarter page advert, I say "No way, that's so expensive. There's no way I'll make a profit if you're charging that much". Then the salesman will chat to you about the benefits and during this time you say to him, "I'll offer you £50 to test the waters. If it works for me I'll pay the going rate next time". However, when he calls you back in the next issue and asks you how the advert performed, do not under any circumstances say that it was great. You make sure you say, "It was terrible, I only received one phone call. I'll give it another go but I can only offer you £50" :RpS_thumbsup:

The free listings are always good especially for that added boost to your google places accounts :)

Danny

Danny. Have you ever considered a section for say people with over 5000 posts or something. Have different areas or a postcode searcher and have people's names and numbers and have them labelled as tpf recommended spreads or something??

Danny. Have you ever considered a section for say people with over 5000 posts or something. Have different areas or a postcode searcher and have people's names and numbers and have them labelled as tpf recommended spreads or something??
minimumposts, lets say 5291?

Ha trust me its not for me. It's just if someone advertises work on here anyone can go for it. I would say that most of the guys on here with a lot of posts have been on here for a long time and most if them have worked with each other directly or have worked for people that other people know etc

Last edited:
i have advertised in yell in the past but personally considering the money i paid and the few jobs i got back it just was not worth it, and nowadays with the internet i find anybody who wants any trade just uses the computer,can see it closing in next few years

i'M with yell.com and so far "nothing" the chap phoned me last year saying with them i could get up to 15 extra jobs a month, now i've been with these buggers before many years ago and nothing came of the advert but this time i said i would go with them for one year and see how it goes. So far nothing and its a big advert photos the lot, all i get is reps phoneing or some company saying they could get all my ppi back. The thing is so far i've not paid a penny to yell as they check what calls i'm getting and it comes in so far at 23, i took this advert out with them last May, and if i'm not getting 15 jobs per month i not paying them, they tried making me also take out a web site moonfruit, As they say it comes up on google, eerr no it does not !, as a week later a lady from yell then phoned and wanted me to pay for its listing as this was extra, See was told to go forth, and you know what i mean. £20.00 odd pounds per month for my advert and nothing to show for it. Never again yell.com

Status
Not open for further replies.