Woodchip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basher

Just got a phone call of a customer i have done work for, saying they have a back bedroom that has woodchip on and can i skim it? I said no! He says my friend had hers scoured p.v.aed and skimmed and it is fine! i said you can get that plasterer to do it as i wont skim on any paper as it wont stick why do people not believe the workers!!!

Serious so your saying you can skimm over any paper that has been painted no way i aint risking doint that

ive gone over woodchip have you ever tried getting the crap off murder right to me its one of the best things to get over

Don't care what anyone says any wallpaper can be removed if you know what you are doing!
Woodchip is a b a s t a r d to get of if you don't know how to strip properly.
I don't use steam strippers unless absolutely necessary.
Some people soak it once try scraping it & it doesn't budge then they give up!
And as for skimming over woodchip, well what can i say apart from cowboys!!!!

Surely if you skim on any kind of paper the skim and p.v.a will act like a steamer dampening it i would never put my name to skimming over it

why not just charge em for taking it off ,do it properly ...get your labourer to do it if its to hard for your hands ??? and call it character building ;)

He dont want to pay for it to be taken off and he cant be bothered to do it himself so he will get tonto to do it no doubt!!!

just started a council refurb and the brief is strip the paper off and if it wont come off take the plaster off and re do it I dont even bother trying to strip woodchip I just take off the plaster its quicker I foookin hate woodchip

best way.. mate let em fone you later after other spread when its blown to put it right itll come away easier charge em twice as much 8)

my mate gypbonded some and its still on there........i'd tell him it could fail but do it if he insists its his house .........another way is to slurry some boards over it and mechnically fix them after

It's gotta come off.
Took loads of it off.
Done council in the past, strip woodchip that's on bare plasterboard prep & skim.
time consuming but it will come off. Rite tools & rite amount of times you soak it.
Probably quicker to rip boards off & reboard or overboard, but not in council budget i suppose.
Glad i don't do that s h i t anymore.

no im not saying that im saying ive skimmed ove painted woodchip and had no problem.if it were my house i wouldnt do it but ive done it and it worked no prob mind whats the worst that can happen the woodchip come off
Basher said:
Serious so your saying you can skimm over any paper that has been painted no way i aint risking doint that

it depends on what it is stuck on like, you should remove it but when i bought my place the idiot had papered straight onto plasterboard so it was sealed and skimmed over.

Score the woodchip with a paper tiger or knife,
scrape all the wood chips off the face of the surface with a beeline yellow handled blade scraper,
then soak the walls with hot soapy water with a wide paint brush,
leave for 5-10mins, then soak again leave 5-10mins,
try & scrape paper off the wall if it won't budge just keep wetting the walls & leave them to soak
3, 4 or even 5 times.
It will eventually come off.
Works every time even on glossed woodchip.
Steam stripper will work but be carefull as it can blow the plaster if held on the wall to long.

cheers for that ive often wondered how to get wallpaper off
Nisus said:
Score the woodchip with a paper tiger or knife,
scrape all the wood chips off the face of the surface with a beeline yellow handled blade scraper,
then soak the walls with hot soapy water with a wide paint brush,
leave for 5-10mins, then soak again leave 5-10mins,
try & scrape paper off the wall if it won't budge just keep wetting the walls & leave them to soak
3, 4 or even 5 times.
It will eventually come off.
Works every time even on glossed woodchip.
Steam stripper will work but be carefull as it can blow the plaster if held on the wall to long.

Used to do my head in when customers say we'll strip the walls.
Then the day you turn up to skim the room there's bits left on the reveals, around switches & sockets, down the side of architraves where it's an inch wide.
I would rather do it myself properly.
So now i add a days labour into the price for stripping a room & tell them price includes stripping,
if it comes off easy say in 2hrs or less that's a bonus.

yeah......i've stripped woodchip paper..... and thought there's no way on earth that plaster would ever make this paper come off the wall. but u cant gaurante the paper is always gona b that hard to strip. also looks alot more professional to take it off. plus ive never come across woodchip paper that was easy to strip

Status
Not open for further replies.