wood burners

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon12a

Hi All
After information on plastering around chimney breast .Wood burner going into opening , Been told that plasterboard 15mm fire board cant be used with in a certain distance as could catch fire ?

12mm hardibaker boards dabbed inside then screwed then all the joints done with fire sealant you get in a tube project it past the front 10 mm then you can float to it then skim stop bead on edges then skim

Or Render the inside with sand and cement with lime, up to a bead and float the front of the breast out, as Madmonk said.

Ours is cement rendered inside and has a brick surround. The back wall is painted with fire-black.

We have just had some plasterboard fitted near our wood burner and are unsure of the safety or the required distance it needs to be away from the flue pipe.

The edge at the top of the Alcove was uneven and to overcome this the plasterer fitted some metal beading on to some plasterboard which was dabbed to the inside top part of the alcove, underneath a fire plate.

Is this safe?
is it likely to combust?
Is there anything that can be done to resolve the problem if there is one such as trimming the plasterboard back? I can possibly cut a strip off with a stanley knife that will give us a distance of 18cm or 7" (approx) away from the flue

Any advice and possible solutions appreciated!

misconception has always been that firerated board can go next to log burners but the truth is it cant... you need that vitcas stuff :-\

Just s&c or hardwall it. hardwall is only qualified for c50degC however I've used it in my own house and not had so much as a hairline crack ( do have a good 4 inches air gap all round though) The trick is to leave it to dry naturally for as long as practical before you ramp up the stove/wood burner whatever and when you do, don't max out straight away. Not sure how this would cope if stove was right next to wall though.....

I did this for a customer last summer who chose the hardwall option after I gave him the price of vitcas!

Oh, if possible leave the rear brick exposed....presuming it's brick! Looks tonnes better and generally the surface closest to the stove.

I remember an old mason who told me he used lime render on fire places, no cement as it tends to crack in the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.