will my trowel be ok??

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

steevo76

i got two little digs on the edges of my trowel which i got out with some fine sandpaper.this blunted my trowel(one each side).i took it to a tool sharpening shop and hes "put an edge "on it.he said he couldnt sharpen it like a knife but hes put an edge on each side.will this cause me problems,ive got to use it tommorrow,hes kind of squared off each edge.advice please not been plastering that long(5 yrs).please can i have some serious comments

You should have a back up trowel by now,I would just throw it away and buy a new one cos I'm from Stratford upon Avon.

Buy a plastic trowel for final finishing. Your trowel sounds blunt (obviously I cant see it) and will be for a while I suspect. Keep using it and it will sharpen like before.

Draw it across your upturned wrist, if it slices deep then the trowels ok... but you wont be. If it doesn't then the trowels blunt.......either way you lose.

Actually, thinking about it your best bet would be to just jump off something really high.

Best regards, Dan xx

the bloke in the shop put it on a machine he said .hes squared off each egdge n its sharper but cos its squared off more ,will that give me grief or is that how u sharpen a plastering trowel.someone sensible please

If you are ever going to take a ding out of a trowel always do it from the back face of the trowel not the business side and as already said you should of had a back-up. Years ago this was easier cos everyone was floating and setting every day and you floated with one and set with the other and the floating started to break in your back up trowel. Basically as far as the one you have is concerned you are cattle trucked until it is broken in again but, if you know what you are doing you should still be able to turn out an acceptable finish with it or a new trowel for that matter. You could always try putting an edge back on it with an oil stone !!!!

With respect Steve I think you have learned a little lesson here, get that back up trowel broken in. I think Raggles has given the best advice there. Probably a bit short notice for you to get a plazzi in time for tommorrow, but it would have helped with final rub

so basically i shouldnt have had it sharpened.will it cause lines in the finish? is there any point going to qwork with it or should i wait to get a new trowel

n dan suck a fart out my arse u muggy ****

:RpS_lol: I gave you some good advice, what do you want from me ffs??

Let me get this right, you gave your best skimming trowel to a "bloke in a shop" to put on an unknown (to you, and us) machine.

And you're asking us over the internet if it might cause you problems in the future?

I always carry a stone in my bag just incase probably another thing that people don't get taught anymore how to get a nick out of your trowel

Ive got a stone in my setting up bag, great for nicks. just as good is a flat diamond blade ( get them from kitchen shops for sharpening chefs knives)

Problem with my stone is when I lube it up its like that scene out of ghost haha the lab starts sweatin incase I make him do demis role:RpS_biggrin:

nagels are nails. a few spreads brought this term back from germany with them. they pronounce it shnergelss! pet hate of mine is finding tape measure, stanley knife in bottom of bucket. now I have a tool bag with all those little tools at hand

Who the fuckk takes a trowel to a sharpening shop???? ..Did the erm ,eh...trowel sharpening guy seem a bit surprised? Or does he do it every day kinda thing??Wind up.:RpS_unsure:

Last edited:
Steve u say u have been plastering for 5 years u have been asking alot of different questions lately that all seem abit daft , r u abit daft orrrr have u not been plastering 5 years ???? The blokes probably fuked ur trowel ad go buy a new one , ya neva na he might be a wiz on his machine of sum kind

Me thinks hes a crash course skimmer! I wish theyd all go away and stop calling temselves plasterers! Christ! What plasterer doesnt know how to fix a few dings in his trowel? Go and hoddy for a couple of experienced spreads for a few years and you might learn a thing or 2.

cheers for the advice u slags.i went to work with a bloke who had been plastering 23 yrs and he said he did hes on a grinder.i didnt want to **** my trowel up with a grinder so took it to a tool sharpening place thinking hed do it propperly.every plasterer ive worked with has said im a good improver.but unfortunately there are alot of wankers who think its funny to **** less experienced plasterers up.bollox to ya thats what i say. i did 2 yrs full time at college n three yrs finding my feet doing domestic work.learned two lessons here dont sharpen a trowel n never take advice from a plasterer they are mostly big headed egotistical wankers

Steevo your trowel will be fine dont listen to the tosspots giving you **** you can use a trowel when brand new just need to time your trowelling up right all that breaking in is b*ll***s just pricks who know **** all

cheers gibbo.ive not gone to work today lost fair bit of work.gonna do a wall in here with it n if its to difficult buy a plastic to help trowel up.nightmare...

Just use it im sure it will be fine. take an oilstone or diamond file to it to remove any machine marks though. once done learn to look after your trowel properly, it is afterall your money maker

cheers .my trowel is ****** though tried a bit indoors its worse than when i was a first yr at college.if i cant get a worn in one off someone im selling me tools n starting again.

Just buy a new trowel and a plastic. It'll be sharp in no time.

I think Beddy sharpens them for a fee.

Always carry a sharpening stone in my toolbox (its a well worn thing used for sharpening scythes). Don't worry about blunting the edge of your trowel just make sure the edge is even. It'll soon wear in again. Always have a spare trowel though - I use my spare for rendering - I give it a polish on the ligger (wet it and chuck a bit of skim on then polish the edges and flat blade on it it to remove any rust buildup etc from being stood) my spare by the way is a crappy Tyzack (..won't go into details again - this one has a loose handle which I can't be bothered tightening).
if you want to put an edge on it a bit quicker, get a sheet of wet&dry (800 or 1600), put it on something flat like a sheet of glass and use that. Hold the trowel at a shallow angle and rub away. In the meantime take a tilers trowel and give that to the bloke to take the 'jimps' out. And if your trowel is a cheepy crappy one made from monkey metal do yourself a favour and buy a decent one.

Status
Not open for further replies.