Wicks Pva

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi the Last 3 jobs I've done I've had problems with the Pva either not going off even after 4 hours and it dragging or going like gum. This is then working twice as hard to get it flat. This is in a warm house and its a new tub of wicks Pva. I've just never known Pva to be that bad. I mix it 50/50 Going to try the red tub uni bond next to see if that's better

A few possibilities, paper paste glue on the walls,impervious paint, you should apply a weak 5/1 coat first not 2/1

Your better off spending a little more for uni bond or the like, as superspread said you get what you pay for,

The strongest I use it is 3/1 like asif said 5/1 then 3/1 and you should be alreet, smelly feet

A few possibilities, paper paste glue on the walls,impervious paint, you should apply a weak 5/1 coat first not 2/1

Just noticed beddy said it ..... Its 1/1 not 2/1 at 50/50 lol , thats the problem though its too gluey , if yours using it pure sticking stuff it takes a day or something , weaken it down cos am sure it wont say 50/50 on the tub :RpS_thumbsup:

I always used to find wickes pva as one of the best, but like you have had issues with the glue just not drying no matter what the conditions

The past 3 jobs have all been at different ratios the last being 50/50 as I thought it was pulling and not setting due using too much water. So this time I thought right lets go 50/50 it don't feel that thick at that tbh but still 3rd job and same so I'm it got to be this stuff cos I've not had this issue ever before unless it's on silk glossy paints

Always unibond super pva for me, I won't even contemplate using any other. Try it out bet you won't use anything else ever again.

ive used wickes pva for over 10 yrs and ive also used at 50/50 apx for same time. I just get a new tub empty into roller tub fill the empty pva pot with water and add and never have any problems.

But I always let my pva go bone dry before skimming. When ever ive had problems in the past its always been if pva of any brand is still wet.

To be really honest, I blame your lack of feel for what you are doing, each job is different, if I saw someone doing 1/1 on walls I wouldn't plaster it.you might as well nail the can on the wall..

To be really honest, I blame your lack of feel for what you are doing, each job is different, if I saw someone doing 1/1 on walls I wouldn't plaster it.you might as well nail the can on the wall..

I know what your saying john and it contradicts advise on tubs etc. However for me I only apply 1 coat and let it go totaly dry.

If was 1 of these plasterers that belives in a seal coat and a tacky coat I would use weaker solutions with the 2nd being stronger.

At 50/50 im happy to pva a full house walk away for a month and come back and still know theres enough grunt to give and control suction.

Personaly I think weak pvas pish! not enough strength to hold back high suction or enough key over paint etc.

Anyway experience and confidence in your own way is all that ultimately counts!

I know what your saying john and it contradicts advise on tubs etc. However for me I only apply 1 coat and let it go totaly dry.

If was 1 of these plasterers that belives in a seal coat and a tacky coat I would use weaker solutions with the 2nd being stronger.

At 50/50 im happy to pva a full house walk away for a month and come back and still know theres enough grunt to give and control suction.

Personaly I think weak pvas pish! not enough strength to hold back high suction or enough key over paint etc.

Anyway experience and confidence in your own way is all that ultimately counts!
Some pva that I have bought has been so bad it's left in the lock up

I often use Wickes PVA its good stuff, as said you just have it too thick. PVA is more of a science then you think.

Over general walls with emulsion i would not expect it to be wet though even after 4/5 hours tbh . Do you ?

Well I will see with the red tub unibond. As I said I have done it different on past 3 jobs to see what's going on even at different ratios and I always try to give it 2 coats but when it's not drying or even tacky just wet through takes the piss :p .. Any way will try other brands as that's only thing I've not changed recently

Over general walls with emulsion i would not expect it to be wet though even after 4/5 hours tbh . Do you ?
Yes, if there is a problem with the paints porosity , I'd know as soon as id put it on that there was likely a problem, the paint might not have absorbed into theoriginal plaster.

Yes, if there is a problem with the paints porosity , I'd know as soon as id put it on that there was likely a problem, the paint might not have absorbed into theoriginal plaster.

All different kinds of background the past few jobs with different paints on walls and some artex ceilings and they've all been the same. If we was talking about identical background like glossy/ silk paint or a greasy kitchen ceiling then I would expect it to hang and react different but not straight forward easy bedroom walls with just your average Matt emulation paints. I know what your saying but 3 jobs 3 different types different ratios mix. I usually use TP Pva and not had a problem and never noticed this until I've used wicks own Pva may be that's best being applied day before..

All different kinds of background the past few jobs with different paints on walls and some artex ceilings and they've all been the same. If we was talking about identical background like glossy/ silk paint or a greasy kitchen ceiling then I would expect it to hang and react different but not straight forward easy bedroom walls with just your average Matt emulation paints. I know what your saying but 3 jobs 3 different types different ratios mix. I usually use TP Pva and not had a problem and never noticed this until I've used wicks own Pva may be that's best being applied day before..
Point taken ,you have to be there..

2its the back ground that's repelling the pva not the ratio of the pva.

I guarantee you if you applied pva to 2 identical walls 1 with a 50/50 ratio and 1 with a 5/1 ratio they would be absorbed into the background roughly the same.

The difference after that is that you will have more of a skin once dried with a thicker solution and this is what I personally prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.