Why would u even turn up

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I was getting at colleges have no incentive to fail people ends up with a load of people who think they are qualified.

Because they only get paid from each pass m8 .... I know this as theres a school near me and I know the owners .... they have never failed anyone !

Yep its Joe public that has to put up with shoddy work as a majority of builders and developers won't tolerate it, and it's Joe public that gives the industry it's reputation.

We had a apprentice work for us a few year back, was the 'best' in his class at college thought we'd put him In a small room. 4 freshly boarded walls, no ceiling, told him if it was too big just break the room into two mixes
Off he went
Two hours later went to check how he was doin.....
Yeah he had split the room in two.
He had done the top half of all four walls
To be fair
The plaster he put on wasn't a bad finish haha

It's that easy to pass once I worked for a firm who called a sat mornin meeting at a local pub when we got there us ( the ones who had been on for a couple years) and the newbies got split up while we had our so called meeting load of knackers about programme n stuff a couple of blokes came in to asses the new lads for nvq they gave them all the answers to questions and basically filled forms for them all the lads were bothered about was gettin the Swazz in them n free bacon butties there were 12 new lads there not one failed it and were passed off within a fortnight . The assessors told us they got 700 notes per pass , and yet 7 of those lads failed the cscs test one more than four times !

joke hey... have no time for assesors... their in it for the money, and like you said, dont give a toss who they pass.. disgrace..

It's the f**k**s doing weekend courses that are ruining it for everyone...

So cassie what'what's the date for the tiling seminar? Lol

come mate, be good, and there will be beer..... I see tiling as part of our trade, so its not like we are learning a '' new career '' a lot of the plastering skills translate over to tiling...

yep, and suspended ceilings, years ago... seems they are all seperate now, but should be part of our trade, the more you can do, the busier you will be, and not bored stiff skimming boards all day..lol..

This is my first post and I’m afraid it’s a bit of a rant, I’m not a plasterer by trade, but I did attend a course on plastering at a collage, it was taught by a plasterer with 40 years’ experience and who was still on the tools, it was a fantastic course and I took a lot from it, I’ve no intention of changing the side of my van to say plasterer, but my beef is with the general building trade on a whole making out that that plastering, bricklaying, plumbing etc. is on the same level as open performing heart surgery, most of the people I went to school with who ending up in the building trades are the ones who never progressed to shoes with laces and would call the teacher “mum”( me included), they weren’t turning down offers from Cambridge to become plumbers. The whole idea that you need to be time served to be any good just isn’t true, like anything it just takes practice, but I agree that practice shouldn’t be on paying customers houses.

exactly.. not on paying customers houses, thats why a 5 day course is no good.. and us builders are probably earning more than the university boys anyway..lol

This is my first post and I’m afraid it’s a bit of a rant, I’m not a plasterer by trade, but I did attend a course on plastering at a collage, it was taught by a plasterer with 40 years’ experience and who was still on the tools, it was a fantastic course and I took a lot from it, I’ve no intention of changing the side of my van to say plasterer, but my beef is with the general building trade on a whole making out that that plastering, bricklaying, plumbing etc. is on the same level as open performing heart surgery, most of the people I went to school with who ending up in the building trades are the ones who never progressed to shoes with laces and would call the teacher “mum”( me included), they weren’t turning down offers from Cambridge to become plumbers. The whole idea that you need to be time served to be any good just isn’t true, like anything it just takes practice, but I agree that practice shouldn’t be on paying customers houses.
Talk absolute rubbish! You dont understand anything about our trade and your insulting all the experienced guys on the forum that have been taught properly go skim a booth out and call yourself a plasterer cock!!

No ones making out it's some magical dark art and I do believe you can get a grounding in most things in a short space of time. But doing it to a high standard and making it pay is something entirely different.

In one way or another to be decent at anything you have to serve your time,either through an aren't a ship or working alongside a decent spread for an ample period,you said yourself unless you know what your doing you shouldn't be practicing on customers homes.therefor serving your time is the only way you can become competent to do so.im not talking just skimming,although there is good and bad to the untrained eye when painted all looks the same,I mean floating well,nice flat render and so on,to do a high standard is a skilled job whitch takes time to learn.

Talk absolute rubbish! You dont understand anything about our trade and your insulting all the experienced guys on the forum that have been taught properly go skim a booth out and call yourself a plasterer cock!!

I agree I know nothing of your trade for start I have no idea what a plasterer cock is, I dont intend to insult anyone, my point is, if someone wants to learn a new skill and put the work in whats the problem? I know there is people out there who call themselves trades men after there first trip to B&Q, but as well, some of the worst work ive seen was by experienced qualified trades people, who are more intrested in, getting in and out and paid.

I agree I know nothing of your trade for start I have no idea what a plasterer cock is, I dont intend to insult anyone, my point is, if someone wants to learn a new skill and put the work in whats the problem? I know there is people out there who call themselves trades men after there first trip to B&Q, but as well, some of the worst work ive seen was by experienced qualified trades people, who are more intrested in, getting in and out and paid.
I see more where your coming from now,you mean time served doesn't mean to say you are good,I agree however I still stand by what I said that to be good at something takes time and practise but even with all the time in the world and endless practise you won't be good if you havnt got the right mindset.

My word how some attitudes change!!!!!!!
I've been called ****** ******* c**t prick and more for the last few years for saying what everyone has finally figured out?
Ban plastering courses and get some sort of certificate based on years experience not nvq's? we also need a union to stop agency's dictating pay per hour as well.

I've been called ****** ******* c**t prick and more for the last few years for saying what everyone has finally figured out?
Ban plastering courses and get some sort of certificate based on years experience not nvq's? we also need a union to stop agency's dictating pay per hour as well.

years ago we all went self employed because the builders union was so weak we could negotiate better terms on our own, we would laugh at the union rate and their 5p extra tool money.
i do notice the rates that agencies think a plasterer is going to work for, they base plasterers and painters on the same rate. but i would never work for their rates.

Thats nice.:)

theres a major difference between a course plasterer and time served

being time served you come across alot of different problems on the job and learn ways to get around them
you get trained in every aspect of plastering

float & set
s&c
screeding the lot

read stories on facebook with people with companies that have only just just started plastering in 2014 after doing short courses

so basically there practising in customers houses

Trouble is it's only gonna get worse! A lot of private jobs, customers can't really tell good from bad half the time anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.