Why use lime?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlacheson

I've been told that its personal preference whether or not you use lime in rendering. Is this true? What is the purpose of lime?

Sorry monk but you've got this one wrong, lime actually helps retain moisture in the render allowing the cement to set and cure properly, it also re***ds the mix a little giving more time to get the correct finish in warm conditions(I tend to use a bit less lime in winter so as not to slow the setting time down to much) and lastly having lime in the mix gives a less dense finish which should crack less.

hydrated limes a load of b*ll***s it will do all of the above but youre still mixing it with cement

If it does all of the above as you say it does why don't you rate it? I have done a fair bit of rendering (cough cough) from straight forward flat render through to paneled work and I always have and always will have lime to one degree or another in it.

Andy I have had loads of trouble with lime recently it just wont mix up properly.... i am doing what i usually do 5-1-1 but it just mixes like pastry so i have cut out using lime.

No one can give me an answer for it

Rich

Richard I can honestly say I've never had any problems with lime and I don't buy any particular brand. Now I know you probably know this already and am not trying to offend but the lime must be added to the mixer straight after the water and is best left to turn for a little before adding the sand also I wouldn't entertain using anything other than a full size mixer for rendering.

andy i say it cause its a shite by product of the real thing it will plastercise etc ......but you use cement with it hence the shiteness

Surprised to here that people are having problems using lime, allways used it myself and allways will but maybe its a fine tuning type thing , even fast or slow mixer drum speeds can make a difference without going into hard or soft water areas :eek:

I've just priced up another 1000 metres of render supply and fix, now the difference in the cost of materials between s&c and OCR is considerable and I would not stand a chance of getting the work if I chose to use OCR. And if you don't get problems using sand, cement and lime why bother with OCR other than for ease of material delivery and storage.

shop around andy prices are coming down you can do a lot more meters finished in a day so that helps on price and the finish is better very consistant and never any crazy cracking down the road everything about it is better and im old school

You can shop around until you are blue in the face but you still won't be able to supply OCR anywhere near the cost of s,c&l. As for getting more done with OCR I can't honestly say because I haven't done enough larger jobs with OCR but I have just worked out that I get between 30 to 35m.sq of plain render finished per day and about 25m.sq of panelled work( allowing for two coats and beading), these are not just on nice big straight forward areas but an average, but I would be interested to know how much more can be achieved with OCR as it could be useful in certain circumstances. As for better more consistant finish well I can only say that I only ever get comments about how good my render looks and what a nice even colour it dries( even though it will be painted) and I have seen some dreadfully uneven finishes with OCR as I have with s&c. I've been at this a long time and have never had a problem with my work crazing( although I have seen plenty of jobs where they have).
I'm always open to the newer ideas and products, when you're in this trade for a long time you have to be don't you, I'm on my third different type of finish plaster on s&c(siraphite,siraphite B & multi finish), so if the figures stack up I'll have another look at OCR for my plain render.

Status
Not open for further replies.