why oh why

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been on sites where rates are great ....with no water for 3 days.
Jobs with no scaffs.
firms paying monthly.
Digs to pay for.
Goverment take their big cut.
Etc etc....

Gibbo I think it depends where you live mate.
My brother lives in london £950 a month renting 2bed small house.+ nursery bills+ all other **** comes with it.
Him and his misses both good wages.
(Not plastering).
They stuggle.

Lads I know up north £450 mortgage 2 bed house + bills.
skimming low rates...always on holiday comfy life !!

I agree mate so what do you do go to a new site get offered 2.75 m2 and go no then go home missus goes what you doing home you say they were only paying 2.75 so i thought i would be better off watching **** on telly
I agree, what is a good rate to one spread isnt necessarily a good rate to another, where I live and the next town there is about a£40 difference in the so called,going rate for what a builder expects to pay a spread for a days work.

I mainly subby to various ceiling and partition companies the rates arent the best but if it was more or less constant i wud be areet but it never is. Be thinkin bout goin it alone but then fear struggling even more for graft. Based in newcastle top rate is 2.80 for finish

the so called,going rate for what a builder expects to pay a spread for a days work.

I've never understood that approach to plasterers or any other trades, and I wouldn't think of using it either. If someone tried to dictate my rate they'd get a swift response, so why would I or any other builder try to do it to someone else?

It's a simple process, ask how they want paying (per square metre, day rate or job price) then add that into the job cost. Everyone knows where they stand and the job gets done. Earning a living is hard enough as it is without p1ssing people off and adding to the complications.

I mainly subby to various ceiling and partition companies the rates arent the best but if it was more or less constant i wud be areet but it never is. Be thinkin bout goin it alone but then fear struggling even more for graft. Based in newcastle top rate is 2.80 for finish

Thats not that bad to be honest, £280 a day minus tax. You'd probably earn more if you had a labourer though

lifes full of moaners, you find them any where in life, in the local, on sites, in high flying careers etc, bleating about this and that.

with out sounding like a ponce , if you've got your health, you've got your wealth and start from there. retrain, diversify, ive got pals who left school with nothing and can hardly write a sentence yet they are wealthy through graft and a bit of luck and run big outfits.
my old granddads pushing 90 now and a 2nd war vet, went out with his brother, he came back minus his brother and a blast of splinter in his leg meaning he cant walkright never has done, hasn't got a pot topiss in yet his the most chipper fella I know. as soon as I ever bleat he puts me right in my place, especially in a few week on rememberance sunday when I go down and put a wreath with him for his dead brother and cronies. chin up we aint got it that bad.

I've never understood that approach to plasterers or any other trades, and I wouldn't think of using it either. If someone tried to dictate my rate they'd get a swift response, so why would I or any other builder try to do it to someone else?

It's a simple process, ask how they want paying (per square metre, day rate or job price) then add that into the job cost. Everyone knows where they stand and the job gets done. Earning a living is hard enough as it is without p1ssing people off and adding to the complications.
Yes exactly, I mentioned the builders as they have got the ball park figure they want to pay from previous spreads in the area charging that price,just realy mentioned it as an example of differing rates in such a small area,I keep my dayrate the same wherever I work.i definitely couldnt except less the way my mrs spends lol

You tried that site behind Central Station mate, its been going a while so they might be taking on and its huge? I'll keep my eyes open for other new sites, one up in Northumberland Park, I think there is one in Longbenton and a few more I know of over the water. I haven't really been looking on my travels.

Status
Not open for further replies.