Why is is Called a Hawk?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tightcoat

I think I know why it is called a hawk. Most plasterers are right handed and hold the hawk in their left hand. Most falconers are right handed and catch their bird on the left hand. That is as close to a falconer as most plasterers will get.so they call what they hold in the left hand their hawk.

I told my wife this and she said she thought it was spelled hock and that is what plasterers are always in.

Just cockneys call it that but they don't know why, where as us northerners call it a handboard because it's a board that you have in your hand simples :)

The meaning comes from the latin for hawk being “accipeterâ€￾ (used during medieval times) and accipeter coming from the latin verb “caperâ€￾ which means “to seizeâ€￾.

why dont u call it a handle board then as its the handle thats in ur hand
This has got to be the stupidest reply I've read this year lol **** it let's name it after a flying thing and then when Someone asks us why we call it a hawk we can say I don't know but it's not a handboard :) even though I've just explained why xx

I think it's a North south divide thing ain't it,
I've never heard anyone call it a hawk,I guess it's the equivalent Of us northerners go into a pub and order a pint of beer, where as our southern chums will order a pint of shandy.

I think it's a North south divide thing ain't it,
I've never heard anyone call it a hawk,I guess it's the equivalent Of us northerners go into a pub and order a pint of beer, where as our southern chums will order a pint of shandy.

And that'll be as flat as s fart..

hawk or handboard
board and stand or board and dummy
sand and cement floating or greening
skim or pinking
angle bead or hook spear
plasterer or spread [a word i was told never to use]
cement or dust
does not matter what you call it as long as you can understand the lingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.