Why 2 coats of PVA, not just one stronger one?

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers Granty. And you can tell if it's high suction by how quick the PVA dries?

If it needs a second, so you make the second a stronger PVA mix?

Cheers mate. Im more you're style but seems some ppl swearing by 2 coats and just wondered when you'd chose one style over the other.

No harm either way I guess so long as the walls have had their thirst suitably quenched ;)

I prefer 2 coats at around 4:1 depending on background? One the day before and 2nd prior to plastering. Latley been using that bluegrit tho and slightly watered down (cup full of water) day before then plaster next day no messing around etc its great gear

The grits are good but I find blue grit the worst one.... hard to apply and to cover. I use soverigns plasterers stabliser.

its £30 marshy but its a different class than blue grit.... i would leave my lab on the job with blue grit and trying to get it on even was terrible and when i spread over it it turned a flat smooth wall like going over heavy artex..... the sovereign rep did me a deal on my 1st tub to try it and it is well worth the extra £10

its £30 marshy but its a different class than blue grit.... i would leave my lab on the job with blue grit and trying to get it on even was terrible and when i spread over it it turned a flat smooth wall like going over heavy artex..... the sovereign rep did me a deal on my 1st tub to try it and it is well worth the extra £10
I'l give it a try mate cheers for that

Now @brimplas what's the difference between stabiliser and pva or the grits, the term stabiliser makes me think it would be good over distemper etc, I have used a stabiliser before and I didn't feel as confident with it, possibly its non familiarity

Sorry johniosaif I got the name of he product wrong, it's actually called plas prime not stabliser . It does say it stablises as well though...... For me blue grits grit is to course, wba/ betakontackt is to watery and the Plas prime is a nice mix of both.

Sorry johniosaif I got the name of he product wrong, it's actually called plas prime not stabliser . It does say it stablises as well though...... For me blue grits grit is to course, wba/ betakontackt is to watery and the Plas prime is a nice mix of both.
Thanks

I have had lads ask me this question a few times over the years and I always say the first coat is to seal the wall and make sure the plaster will bond with the wall and not crack and come back off the first coat should be allowed to fully dry. The second coat is for you, it will give you more time to work with the gear once it's on and you'll be able to get a bit more on. If it's a small job and you want the gear to go off quick one coat will do.

I know that BG bond it is just like blue grit just more than double the price. Does the soverign stuff kill the suction aswell on old substrates ?
Yes it deos, just used it on a couple of old walls with grey skim on which is normally a pig to seal..

Status
Not open for further replies.