Who negotiates??.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottie5

Private Member
Just been to look at a job I was recommended for, now i don't particularly want it and definitely don't need it but still gave them a fair price.
Which consisted of how much I expected to be paid for doing the job.
Then the haggling started now I explained that im not selling shite on a car boot sale nor am I a used car salesman, im there on my day off because ive came highly recommended.
looking at adding value to their home using a set of skills not everyone has.
Then I asked if they had to go and negotiate their saleries at the end of each month with their payroll dept,
"No" he mumbled, "so then why should I"?.
"Point taken, when can you start"?.
(y)

Fair enough, happens to all of us I think every now and then. When you get recommended not sure why they want to haggle, surely they asked friends about recommendations to make sure finish is top notch, then they should expect a reasonable price not a knocked down price because they had the effort to give you a call.
Good reasoning Scottie

Float and setting living room this morning.....+ skimming ceiling £600 for 2 days labour only.

The fella was quoted £1300 !!
Snapped my hand off.
Always ups n downs in this shite.

Folks do take the piss though.
Both tradesmen and clients.

Just been to look at a job I was recommended for, now i don't particularly want it and definitely don't need it but still gave them a fair price.
Then the haggling started now I explained that im not selling shite on a car boot sale nor am I a used car salesman, im there on my day off because ive came highly recommended.
Then I asked if they had to go and negotiate their saleries at the end of each month with their payroll dept,
(y)
I posted something similar when the bloke wanted it cheaper for cash, i asked him if he would be happy if sainsbury's paid him less for cash
" point taken, when can you start"

I don't negotiate .... infact the last one who tried I binned off .... stood there after id already done a few rooms over the various times so I told him a price as it was just some patching ... I said x amount then he turns to his mrs and says so we'll pay this .... I walked off laughing ....

I don't price work to then have to rethink it ... prices is my price and once you bend to haggling then your leaving yourself open to them trying it on or trying to add stuff into the price ...

Quoting on a Sunday - doesn't happen with me .... my day off !!

I posted something similar when the bloke wanted it cheaper for cash, i asked him if he would be happy if sainsbury's paid him less for cash
" point taken, when can you start"

Thats spot on arti, theres few other industries where its acceptable to haggle over money like that.
He wanted my best price I gave it.
He either pays it or he doesn't but Its a bit insulting to try and knock it down.

Thats spot on arti, theres few other industries where its acceptable to haggle over money like that.
He wanted my best price I gave it.
He either pays it or he doesn't but Its a bit insulting to try and knock it down.

Yep - gives me the hump too .... especially if id gone round on a Sunday of all days !!

Two weeks ago I priced out a job I didn't particularly wan't also. Almost no plasterers in this area that will do this type of work - a derivative of a Milestone material with a matching color outside on some garden walls. You leave it smooth and then stone grind it by hand the next day. I priced it around $20.00 a sq. ft. and they freaked out over the price I was supposed to start right away (two weeks ago). Last week the general contractor asked if there was someway I could negotiate a lower price. Nope, and everyday that goes by I'm considering pulling the bid off the table. They just called at the end of the week and okayed most of the job. I just hit them back with since it's the end of the month now and I'll have no grace time to pay for the materials and I'll now have to wait until the end of October to get paid and with the rain coming and maybe messing up my schedule I asked for a pretty large deposit on the work. Now waiting for a response, supposed to start tomorrow unless I don't hear back. Sunday morning now and I'm headed out to price out a master bedroom re-plaster, good thing shouldn't be any traffic on the roads.

(y)
Correct Scottie,these are the type of people that begrudge paying anybody,you go out your way for them and for example the price would be £ 495 and thats what they would pay £ 495!

It's a funny one.
Any sector where there is a set price on show like supermarkets sports shops electrical places etc people will pay the price they see or they don't buy, a very very small few will haggle.
The difference is us Brits aren't used to it.
It happens a lot in other countries but we're not used to it.
I'm sure most of us on here will haggle for something we want. I know I do.
But we don't have profit margins like retailers do that's the difference.
We also provide a manual service as well as the product that's the main difference.
I get it now and again but I just tell them no if I can't and if I can still earn good I may knock a little off.
The best thing I do is offer a deal that suits me more but the client still benefits.
We're all winners.

if hes not prepared to pay for what you can do in a day scottie then hes f**k*d,,, let him pay some muppet 3 days

I've had a few of late, the most recent being a Dr, the work I quoted came in at £819.00 and he emailed me saying if I would except £700.00 he would book in to my schedule....

I explained that the difference in price wasn't far off the materials and i wasn't in a position to provide them FOC to improve his property, and that id pass the opportunity of work to someone else, cheeky twa7 messaged straight back and said if I could do anything on price to get back to him, lol Obviously didn't take much notice of my previous reply.

Got work till nearly Christmas, all be it big jobs, so guess hell be waiting a while for me to get back to him.

Stick to your own price it's that simple, it doesn't matter what the other guy charges you just have to explain what your gonna do and guarantee it :) there will always be cheap plasterers and people who will use them but you can explain what could go wrong ;)

in my time of quoting plastering work, we have been through upteen recessions and booms so it all depends which way the wind is blowing if we are willing to neg. or not.

In all honesty my misses takes more than her fair share.....no negoitiating there !!

Shes the boss
Im the main shareholder !!

Why people negotiate? When I give a price it includes labour, mats, running costs + profit. If you cut a deal you dig in to your own profit, which enables you to put aside for dry spells, rainy days and whatnot. If they don`t like it then go and get someone else in who`s willing to do it cheaper. Theres enough of them out there willing to work for beermoney.

Once u stop going lower with prices to get work yer fuk I'm doing a refurb now i gave a price to reskim every rm and repair on mid terrace house ,3 bed 2 bath rm 2 living rm n sum cheap tit is it doing for £1800 yer buying the work if yer doing that
:hueco:

Last edited:
If you give a price ..
"Oh if you can do it for xxx..knock 50 quid off the jobs yours blah blah ...more work if we can do a deal" etc etc....
If you take the lower offer deal, it makes you sound like you where on the take ..(.overpriced) from the off!!!!!

;)

I always haggle but never get haggled....

but.... they way myself and jane do things is like this... in fact we do most things like this...

When we were travelling ans we say went to Australia zoo... before we would get there we would ask how much each is will to pay to get in... we both set a figure split the difference and then if it was more we would walk away/haggle or if it was less we would go in.. some things we said price didnt matter and do it regardless....

This also happened on our renovation project set prices and budgets and stuck to them... the painting was a crock of s**t but thats another story... we got our kitchen at a price we were happy with did deals on timber and bathroom stuff...

Use to send jane in to travis and tell her not to leave until the price came in budget :D

but.... they way myself and jane do things is like this... in fact we do most things like this...

When we were travelling ans we say went to Australia zoo... before we would get there we would ask how much each is will to pay to get in... we both set a figure split the difference and then if it was more we would walk away/haggle or if it was less we would go in.. some things we said price didnt matter and do it regardless....

This also happened on our renovation project set prices and budgets and stuck to them... the painting was a crock of s**t but thats another story... we got our kitchen at a price we were happy with did deals on timber and bathroom stuff...

Use to send jane in to travis and tell her not to leave until the price came in budget :D
Sounds like a keeper

Poor painter:(....has he still got a roof over his head ?

So you pimp out Jane to get discount :-o
Will she travel ;-)

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.