Which is the very best Render, Monocouche or otherwise???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikerose

Help Required please,

I am a selfbuilder, building x2 2500sqft chalet bungalows in Bournemouth Dorset. Bottom 6 courses are blue's/bricks with the rest being rendered blockwork. (the odd blue brick detailing)

My question is simple, which is the very best render out there for this job? If anyone can help giving the pro's & con's of each of the manufacturers products I would very much appreciate it. I have read reports of K-rend cracking & discolouring over time & is nearly impossible if not impossible to repair....

Parex seems to come well reccomended & seems to have a solid history although mainly in france????

I really could do with professional opinions from people who have been using these products for some time & can give good impartial advice....

Please help.....

Thanks

Mike

Are you sure you want a monocouche type render? If done correctly sand & cement can give an exellent finish that will stand up very well to weather and be given a variety of surface finishes and can also be a very cost effective option.

essexandy said:
Are you sure you want a monocouche type render? If done correctly sand & cement can give an exellent finish that will stand up very well to weather and be given a variety of surface finishes and can also be a very cost effective option.

Thanks for your response, to be honest I don't know what I want. I am looking into the modern products because I thought they would have clear benefits over the traditional sand & cement render?

Getting very confused as searching the web predictably has thrown up all sorts of opinions which is why I decided to post on this forum.

Thanks

Id use krend myself , but it should come down to who is going to apply it cos if there new to the material it could look rough , best to stick with what they would normally use !

Firstly Mike welcome to the forum ;) And what a excellent first question , you have come to the right place for impartial advice, there are a wide specrum of plasterers on this site covering most or if not all the aspects of external render finishes both new and traditional. Dare i say most of the advice and recommendations you receive may not help you with your decision making, in fact it might make it worse for yourself ;D anyway best of luck with your self build you live in a very nice part of the country with excellent river fishing ;)

Most of the lads on here use modern bagged renders day in day out and I'm sure they will help you out , personally ive only used K REND and im not to sure about longevity of the product or in fact plastic beads say 15 years down the line but im no expert in mono renders .

hi mate, we do mostly machine applied render and have used them all, They all have there good points but weber is nice to use and gives a very nice finish. Monorex is also a very good product. I find krend a bit fine and i think this is the reason for cracking problems. If you want a price as im only about an hour away from you or need some more advice send me a pm.

Hi Mike

Sand & cement render has been around for a very long time.

If applied correctly all you will have to do is give it a coat of masonary paint every five years.
I was one of the first to use self coloured renders back in the early eighties, time will tell.

grand wizard said:
i would go with parex if you want i will give you the reps number

I have used them all and parex monocouche is the best on the market... dont worry about cracking as if a new build then have the mesh embedded in the first coat... forget sand and cement... it will crack and need painting... get an approved applicator to do the job... take photos of the application procedure and parex will give you a gaurantee...

Render Systems said:
grand wizard said:
i would go with parex if you want i will give you the reps number

I have used them all and parex monocouche is the best on the market... dont worry about cracking as if a new build then have the mesh embedded in the first coat... forget sand and cement... it will crack and need painting... get an approved applicator to do the job... take photos of the application procedure and parex will give you a gaurantee...

Forget sand & cement it will crack ??? funny that I don't seem to suffer that problem with my sand & cement renders anymore that those using mono systems, perhaps that's because I embed mesh in the scratch coat and use fibres in both coats 8). Just a little bit biased there I think Render Systems.

Render Systems said:
[/quote

And dont tell us, you are a approved applicator and you are on first names terms with the rep and lets have a think about who the rep will recommend. ?. All a approved applicator says is you have paid the money and done the course. The customer is better off asking the firms who are submitting quotes is the following:

Do you carry out the work yourself or get subcontractors in . ( because if there using subbies then the subbies may not be approved so bang goes any backup)

Can i have 3 contact numbers of people who you personally have carried out the same type of work for. ( lets face it me render systems, you have pics on your website and you never even done the work did you, and there are lots of people running round showing pics of jobs they didnt do)

You can never insure there will be no cracking at some point in render, houses are chucked up way to quick and something has to give when the settlement starts. If the block cracks then the render will crack. end of.

have a look here spunky old chap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxhkA7rllTs few videos of me working... and yes i do use subbies for big jobs...
you can ring muhamed al kharifi in kuwait where i did 50,000 m2 of eifs, you can ring brenville construction bradford just finished 4000 m2 of acrilics. the pictures are stock of dryvit who said i could use them as im an approved applicator and trainer also have a look here me up to my arse in it http://www.render-systems.com/Latest_Job.html
also as you say render will crack but if applied properly ie follow manufacturers specs then it shouldnt... if it does its the fault of the builder.

spongebob said:
bobby said:
is it me or does render systems like to tell everybody how well he`s doing,also where in the world he`s worked!!!!!
Cant say id noticed , Anyone else ?

No nor me he seems a very quiet, modest, humble and likeable chap.

bobby said:
is it me or does render systems like to tell everybody how well he`s doing,also where in the world he`s worked!!!!!

not noticed but ive noticed he likes to dress up in 19th century clothing or none and post the pics on here ;)

I have been where i have been... i have done what i say... if people ask questions i try to answer them... if i want to work in my pants... i will.... if i like dressing up like a t**t i will...

Status
Not open for further replies.