what's with 'roughing'??

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

spread1970

forgive me,i'm new to this site....but it does my nut when a plasterer refere's to floating as roughin....it was all float and set when i came up....years later this roughing term seems to be common place.is it a regional thing...like handboard(hawk)and ligga board(spot board):-0

these regional terms are confusing eh? when i herd of dogging i got confused and got in alot of trouble, the lady at batersea dogs home said i had the complete wrong idea..........was still fun though:-0

Always known it as 'Rough and skim'....'handboard'.....'spotboard'....and not 'sets' but 'guages'.

There are loads of regional differences mate, the most common ones are that we Northerners say 'Handboard' where Southerners say 'Hawk' and they also say 'good spread' and we will say the same bloke is a 'rough cnt' :RpS_thumbup:

Been at it over 35 years and toe it's roughing, to my old man it was roughing, think its probs a regional thing, but as i've found over the years it still amounts to the same thing, as long as its done right its no big deal, apart from the hawk thing ffs

it's all the same thing yeah,but the roughing i come accross is indeed that...'ukin rough!!
there seems to be no flatening or closing in,just slap it on....skim 'al cover it:RpS_biggrin:
'spose you guys on here mostly house bashers so it doesn't apply to you,you live n die by the work you produce.
also does me tits when a guy calls a bucket trowel a guager......poxy kidz,no respect:RpS_lol:

the reason why i call it a hawk is simple,i did an app in london under the citb(city&guilds)and thats what it was called,by the tutors,the text book's,the guys back at work on site....even the irish gang that turned up now n again.
a yorkshire man i teamed up with a good few years back explained that a spot board was what bricky's use...so it's a liggaboard for spreads,fair anuf,but handboard sounds like a chuffin olimpic sport:RpS_unsure:

a handboard is what it says............a hawk is also what its says............a fewkin bird of prey....................fewkin southerners..................:RpS_thumbdn:

I've never liked the term "roughing" either and always say "floating".
Going back in time internal work was known as render, float and set (down here), so as far as I'm concerned we've dropped the render (usually) and now it's just "float and set".

Terms I've heard used down here are:

Floating=Rendering=Roughing=Scratching=Slashing (no idea, don't ask)

Setting=Skimming=Hits=Gauges=Shifts=Moves=Slashes (no idea don't ask)

i was at a job the other week and a relative of the client knocked on the door.....he was holding a harris hawk on his left wrist....thumb face up,in much the same way as we would hold a hawk/handboard....got me thinkin that that's where the term came from.....

i was at a job the other week and a relative of the client knocked on the door.....he was holding a harris hawk on his left wrist....thumb face up,in much the same way as we would hold a hawk/handboard....got me thinkin that that's where the term came from.....

Of course it is where the feck did you think it came from?

the way i see it is the companys who make HAWKS call it a HAWK so that makes it a HAWK, saying no its not its a handboard is the same as buying a ford fiesta then telling everyone its a porsche, no its not it is what it is advertised and sold as a HAWK:RpS_thumbup:

red-tailed-hawk_681_600x450.jpg handboard.jpg
Dont care how well you train the one on the left..........it aint holding any plaster for you

Last edited:
thing is it got my ligga from slbm in leeds,it was called a spot board and stand.....:RpS_confused:

i think ligga is a kind of afectionate pet name :flapper:

i find it doesn't matter what the company's that manufacture the goods call their product the north for some reason think that the manufacturers name is wrong and their name is right they are on a planet of thier own them northerners:rolleyes)

never heard of roughing or ligga board up here, and a handboard is called a handboard not a hawk, but anyhoooo thats life

i find it doesn't matter what the company's that manufacture the goods call their product the north for some reason think that the manufacturers name is wrong and their name is right they are on a planet of thier own them northerners:rolleyes)

Exactly jr this is OUR planet............................:RpS_wink:

we always called it float and set, but i have heard it called roughing also when it was sand and cement greening and pinking,

holyshit balls..........the boy irish is back..................you sick of hollywood now marra??

Status
Not open for further replies.