Whats going on? .... Crazy prices.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole cash thing only works out for both sides if the company doing the work is vat registered and the main percentage of the work is labour. It's against the law so don't do it.

It's also unfair on business's that play by the rules as they can't compete.

Last edited:
just cos he does cash jobs doesnt mean he doesnt pay his tax, does it mate :RpS_wink:

I dont do cash jobs if you are referring to me, I kinda stated that in my rant above ^ everything I earn goes in the bank as I said I cant be ****** with wods of s**t at home!

The whole cash thing only works out for both sides if the company doing the work is vat registered and the main percentage of the work is labour. It's against the law so don't do it.

It's also unfair on business's that play by the rules as they can't compete.

Lol

Fcuk the rules the banks have proved this week that there arent any, so they get fined big money so who does that affect the innocent shareholders and eventually get it back of us, who gets this fine money anyway.

fcuk the rules the banks have proved this week that there arent any, so they get fined big money so who does that affect the innocent shareholders and eventually get it back of us, who gets this fine money anyway.

fsa

Does area of the country effect demand and prices? I live west kent never had lack of demand.

I'm from Scotland and there's no decent work up here and my bro jumps all over the country trying to chase work,
count yourself lucky mate cos times have well and trully changed.

why doesnt he just get their lass off her arse and get a good job then he doesnt have to run about like a dick?

South Yorkshire has gone down the pan, way too meny plasterers an iv said before there were 6 on my road including me, about 30 - 40 in the village, Sheffield Rotherham have been called the plastering capital of uk, around here anyway.

I trained up doing a mixture of domestic, site work which included rendering, Screeding most aspects of traditional plastering.

Domestics for me usually charge between 100 - 120 p/day I would like to go in higher but I just would not (and still do not) get the work. If I get anymore £ then I'm probably doing 3 gauges to get the money and not have to go back the next day, but i'll be finishing at 7-8 pm, kid iv had working with me is a really good plasterer, but slow. He is pricing bedrooms up at £250-£300 and being knocked down to around the £200 mark but would not get it done in the day, so minus mats he'd be working for £80 p/day so he refuses it.

Site work has died and did do a long time ago around here, the hope of earning over £2.00 m2 has all but gone, prices I'm getting offered are £1.70 - £1.90 m2, which on big runs might be ok but we all know what sites are like, the big areas get eatin up straight away and unless you have free run at 60 m2 a day (very rare) each your not going to make a fortune. Day rates on site are £10 p/h usually x 8 hrs - £80
Contractors finding any excuse not to pay you, mixing up day rate and price to line their own pockets.

I'm being offered the work, but refusing it as its just not worth it

Last 3 jobs offered

5 bed detached houses - £1400 board, d&d, skim Barnsley 10 miles away

York 65 miles away refurbs - £100 p day

Nottingham refurbs - £10.50 p/h - 35 miles away

You'll probably laugh but iv dropped back on to agency, local within 25 miles. At the minute I'm usually 12.50 p/h 5 mile up road, time an half on sat. And most importantly guaranteed weekly pay also a good way of making contacts. Not pulling trees up just puttin hours in and doing a top job. I always try to negotiate hourly rate with them try and get an extra £1 p/ hour and sell myself to them.

More and more young lads round here coming through, don't know if there any good as I look after myself now and try and stay away from the bigger 1 man bands who sub work out to 20-30 spread and pinch £20-£50 a week off everyone who works for them for no good reason.

The trade has lost a load of respect, looked upon as semi-skilled. Won't come back for a long time, I'm starting to look for other avenues of work as this is not a career anymore just a stop gap for young lads hoping to earn a few quid, but very rarely doing so.

South Yorkshire has gone down the pan, way too meny plasterers an iv said before there were 6 on my road including me, about 30 - 40 in the village, Sheffield Rotherham have been called the plastering capital of uk, around here anyway.

I trained up doing a mixture of domestic, site work which included rendering, Screeding most aspects of traditional plastering.

Domestics for me usually charge between 100 - 120 p/day I would like to go in higher but I just would not (and still do not) get the work. If I get anymore £ then I'm probably doing 3 gauges to get the money and not have to go back the next day, but i'll be finishing at 7-8 pm, kid iv had working with me is a really good plasterer, but slow. He is pricing bedrooms up at £250-£300 and being knocked down to around the £200 mark but would not get it done in the day, so minus mats he'd be working for £80 p/day so he refuses it.

Site work has died and did do a long time ago around here, the hope of earning over £2.00 m2 has all but gone, prices I'm getting offered are £1.70 - £1.90 m2, which on big runs might be ok but we all know what sites are like, the big areas get eatin up straight away and unless you have free run at 60 m2 a day (very rare) each your not going to make a fortune. Day rates on site are £10 p/h usually x 8 hrs - £80
Contractors finding any excuse not to pay you, mixing up day rate and price to line their own pockets.

Last 3 jobs offered

You'll probably laugh but iv dropped back on to agency, local within 25 miles. At the minute I'm usually 12.50 p/h 5 mile up road, time an half on sat. And most importantly guaranteed weekly pay also a good way of making contacts. Not pulling trees up just puttin hours in and doing a top job. I always try to negotiate hourly rate with them try and get an extra £1 p/ hour and sell myself to them.

More and more young lads round here coming through, don't know if there any good as I look after myself now and try and stay away from the bigger 1 man bands who sub work out to 20-30 spread and pinch £20-£50 a week off everyone who works for them for no good reason.

The trade has lost a load of respect, looked upon as semi-skilled. Won't come back for a long time, I'm starting to look for other avenues of work as this is not a career anymore just a stop gap for young lads hoping to earn a few quid, but very rarely doing so.

Sounds s**t

Last 3 jobs offered

do something different then, at your age you could easy retrain for something.
plastering is seen as semiskilled these days thats true, when i started out [late 90's]we were the best paid on site.
why you ask are young lads coming through? youve got to wonder why.
speaking for my self, weve never been as busy and not for peanuts, i guess its down to areas, contacts etc.

That is what's happening round here btw before anyone jumps on me.

why didnt you get in touch with the plastering i put up on here in harrogate?
no matter where you are in yorkshire you wouldnt be more than an hour away. i was giving £3 a metre on board there, with no retention, and there were mega runs as the house was huge.

Yeah like You said its down to area I think, I think the amount of plasterers about drives the prices down around here because no matter how low the prices are someone will step up and take it on. Which is sad, but people just need a wage sometimes.

I'm looking at what's out their at the minute, I'm not sure if to try and learn more skills like ceiling fixing or see if a plumbing mate will take me on. I'd like to keep my van and tools though, took me a long time and a lot of money to build up what I have.

I saw it mate but Had got this agency work sorted, an kid I'm with is too slow for price.

Was the thread locked, it had padlock symbol next to it.

I'm in Sheffield too, and just ticking over.

On average I'm two - three weeks in front. Had to have some days off last week.

Price in at £100 - £120 but how can you compete?
A kid I know calls himself a spread but he's just a skimmer, and he's workin today (Sunday) for £60 wtf???

It's alright talking about it but what can we DO? There must be something.

How did we get to classed as semi skilled? This trade is THE MOST skilled. How can you compare it with cutting bits of wood, or threading cables?

Last edited:
I saw it mate but Had got this agency work sorted, an kid I'm with is too slow for price.

Was the thread locked, it had padlock symbol next to it.

it was locked i think to stop jokers posting on. y
ep i got sorted now, be it eventually. you say thers plentiful of plasterers about, i struggled to get anyone i know as there all busy.

Ceevee, you know what it's like round here. Bloody thousands of spreads. Lot of big contractors based here too.

Titan, horbury's, Lloyd clough, jd jones, jacksons

I'll keep plodding on, but think I'm goin to have to learn more skills.

I'm in Sheffield too, and just ticking over.

On average I'm two - three weeks in front. Had to have some days off last week.

Price in at £100 - £120 but how can you compete?
A kid I know calls himself a spread but he's just a skimmer, and he's workin today (Sunday) for £60 wtf???

It's alright talking about it but what can we DO? There must be something.

How did we get to classed as semi skilled? This trade is THE MOST skilled. How can you compare it with cutting bits of wood, or threading cables?

People using spats, Speedskims and plazzi trowels doesn't help IMO. Even Permashape trowels have made it easier for the lower skilled to at least skim to a reasonable standard. Dot and dab is easier for the low skilled to do than wet plastering, although to do it to a high standard is still beyond most.

Yeah like You said its down to area I think, I think the amount of plasterers about drives the prices down around here because no matter how low the prices are someone will step up and take it on. Which is sad, but people just need a wage sometimes.

I'm looking at what's out their at the minute, I'm not sure if to try and learn more skills like ceiling fixing or see if a plumbing mate will take me on. I'd like to keep my van and tools though, took me a long time and a lot of money to build up what I have.

mac how much a day are you working for? how much would your plumber mate pay you and when youv done with him would you take it up and go about undercutting other people thinking you know the trade? how long did it take you to build up what you have and what do you have?

People using spats, Speedskims and plazzi trowels doesn't help IMO. Even Permashape trowels have made it easier for the lower skilled to at least skim to a reasonable standard. Dot and dab is easier for the low skilled to do than wet plastering, although to do it to a high standard is still beyond most.
sup with that like?

sup with that like?

Not really anything wrong with it just saying that they are some of the reasons we're considered a semi-skilled trade, because most spreads are at best semi-skilled. Harsh? I think not.

£100-£120 p/day

I'm not sure what he would pay, wouldn't be about the money while I was learning if i did, just like other jobs, it's what you achieve in the long run. If (big if) I did do a couple of yrs with him got certs ect, I probably get on with agency out on sites, an get some more experience and contacts. But I'm set up to be plastering and I do enjoy it, it would be hard to just give it up.

I havent undercut anybody in the 8 yrs plastering, Im not interested in what other people price in any line of work, unless it's me paying. I price to my standards and speed that's all I can do, I don't buy jobs I never have. £120 p/day is probably above average around here, for domestics, which is what I charge. Above average prices for above average service, in my eyes. I don't kiss on lips tho. Lol

Took me 8 yrs to build up what I have, good van, quality tools, all certs, some tickets a good few contacts, experience and a good standard of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.