What's better

Status
Not open for further replies.
No thats 120m2 with my 64 year old dad doing cupboards and ensuites. If thats all you've got give it up man.
Your going off topic what you said was someone on domestics couldn't get by on site now your blaming your old man for being slow and picking up the bits which is a contradiction coz if your old man can get by anyone can :)

Done both site and domestic and you can earn a shed load more money doing domestic than site for. A lot less graft why f..k your body up to earn someone money

images

Your going off topic what you said was someone on domestics couldn't get by on site now your blaming your old man for being slow and picking up the bits which is a contradiction coz if your old man can get by anyone can :)

Your either a wind up merchant flynnyman or which is more likely a bit simple.
The point was that most domestic lads would struggle to get through a week on site which im sticking by 100% theres more w@nkers robbing joe public on domestics then I've come across on the sites I've been on

Your either a wind up merchant flynnyman or which is more likely a bit simple.
The point was that most domestic lads would struggle to get through a week on site which im sticking by 100% theres more w@nkers robbing joe public on domestics then I've come across on the sites I've been on
Me a wind up? I've never been so insulted in my life xxx the point that was being made is the skill level needed on site is less than on domestics

Much more skill needed on domestic then site. You gotta be a complete muppet thinking site work is more skilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah skimming to a good finish yeah well hard!!!!

Same old every day on site!!! The standard on site is shiiiiit!!!! Cus your all against the per m2 price!! You will be foooooked when your in your 40s I've seen how it gets people after years smashing it on on site!!!!!!

its not less skill needed for either its a complete different skill SET needed for each site plasterers proberly can smash on more meters than domestic buuut domestic need to be able to get over anything and be versitile enough to drop what they had planned for a day get a different tools set out and do something else at the drop of a hat, i.e screeding floating rendering coving dabing tacking and such forth, where as site is all board smash it on quick cos price it macca.
like i said neither one is better than the other just a different skill set rather than more skill for one over the other (either way)

on site work or domestic? Not sure what i should try and focus on first. Think i would rather do on site work then its a decent steady wage and i don't have to worry about getting the work but then again i am on my own now so can see it being quite nervy if i go straight to site.... Well if any of you hear about any work let me know, willing to travel anywhere :rps_thumbup:
both shite!

its not less skill needed for either its a complete different skill SET needed for each site plasterers proberly can smash on more meters than domestic buuut domestic need to be able to get over anything and be versitile enough to drop what they had planned for a day get a different tools set out and do something else at the drop of a hat, i.e screeding floating rendering coving dabing tacking and such forth, where as site is all board smash it on quick cos price it macca.
like i said neither one is better than the other just a different skill set rather than more skill for one over the other (either way)
More skill, knowledge and experience needed for domestic most site spreads come from being a labourer and a lot on site can't board just skim visa versa

the comercial side has been broken down into soo many different sectors now that is completley ruined comercial plastering side of things IMO (haha) we do a bit of a mix but the sites we work on are not massive one were on at the mo is 7 flats but we are rendering all the outside doin all the screeding tacking insulating skimming coving in certain units then theres a basement conversion the funeral home at the bottom is moving out for another flat then a new build in the carpark being done.
we just finished one next door but one to the above one and again we had the entire package to do and that was quite a big job but would be classed as a small comercial site.
i do agree on the fact alot of site plasterers are just that just skimmers but again that is just a product of the broken trade that is our own

I like to think that I take the same pride in my work weather I'm doing site or domestic.
Also both are different. Site is all new work just turn up and board, spread or whatever.
Domestic you need to rip out or make good etc before you make a start on any proper plastering. Not to mention sheating up and keeping things clean and working where someone lives.

I like to think that I take the same pride in my work weather I'm doing site or domestic.
Also both are different. Site is all new work just turn up and board, spread or whatever.
Domestic you need to rip out or make good etc before you make a start on any proper plastering. Not to mention sheating up and keeping things clean and working where someone lives.
Then you have the most important thing that is overlooked on site you have to deal with the public on domestics which in its self is a trade lol

More skill, knowledge and experience needed for domestic most site spreads come from being a labourer and a lot on site can't board just skim visa versa

My old mans a site spread who came from being indentured to a master plasterer and an advanced city and guilds, I came via 25 odd years with him, if we "skim" houses on site thats because its what we choose to do.
But lets have it straight we he over 65 years of experience between us. I would put our standard of site work up against most spreads I've ever seen and we wouldn't be found wanting, my original point was that the domestic market is flooded with chancers who wouldn't last a day on my site and im sticking by that.

Lol chill hahahahah nobody is having a go at your work coz your old man is there to keep an eye on it ;) your right the domestic market is flooded with chancers but they get found out quicker and find it impossible to adapt and learn but on site it's repetative and the skill level is less so they can hide a bit better and there is always someone to put it right and move them to a different site till they improve at skimming boards.

For what it's worth I don't want to do 70 sqm a day I'm nearly 49 ,been plastering since i was 17, ill leave all that to the speed merchants, im quite happy doing my domestic stuff ,nice and warm in the winter and very happy with what I earn without killing myself

My old mans a site spread who came from being indentured to a master plasterer and an advanced city and guilds, I came via 25 odd years with him, if we "skim" houses on site thats because its what we choose to do.
But lets have it straight we he over 65 years of experience between us. I would put our standard of site work up against most spreads I've ever seen and we wouldn't be found wanting, my original point was that the domestic market is flooded with chancers who wouldn't last a day on my site and im sticking by that.

so this whole thing was pointless because your argument is domestic is less skilled because of chancers, the same chancers that do a course to get quals just to go on site so thats that one out the picture now, then you say they wouldnt last a day on your site, thats because you know what your doing the same applys if the "chancers" did a day on a domestic for us they wouldnt last the day cos we would and have before thrown them off.
sooooo this whole 2 pages and god know how many hours has been a waste haha:RpS_lol: we love a bit of time wasting haha

you'll end up doing both mate,, then see which you prefer or pays better,, i like doing both,, on a site today and im in a occupied house tomorrow , not to keen on bloddy town house though

not all site work is house bashing,, work on school,, hospitals, etc, etc and the see how good your work has to be,, with agents,, finishing foremen,, clerk of the works

So work on domestic you say :RpS_laugh: Jesus I've made world war 3 on here with this thread haha
So work on domestic you say :RpS_laugh: Jesus I've made world war 3 on here with this thread haha
Only you can decide which side of the trade you want to be on. Try both and after a year or so see what suits your ability best "I am not doubting your ability in plastering" but you will know where you feel comfortable in the trade and what part you want to spend most of your working career. I personally do probably 60 to 70 % domestic and the other on site. I just don't want you thinking that one is better than the other because all work is money in the bank at the end of the day. scottie5 . Your father at 64 years old still putting in by the sounds of it a great days work on site with you. In my book he is a legend and long may it continue. I lost my father 3 years ago and work my nuts off to keep our family name going for the respect of others of what we do. This sounds a bit over the top but please cherish all the days you work with him. Because without them we probably would not be where we are today. The last thing I would like to add is can we all stop having a row about who can bash this on in a day, or can only tack and skim not dot and dab a board. cant float and set. cant do lime plastering etc etc. I thought this site was to help people in the trade with problems they want advice from other tradesmen that have been there and done that and can advise how to. Not have a slanging match over what you can and can not do. We need to make this forum the best to advise others and that's down to us users .Guys you can take what I have put as you like but only we can make this site what we want it to be .

i have worked on a few big sites before i was with the firm im with now and they always split it between a couple of gangs and all the others were always appalling but they got paid the same as us and was motoring through it with one coat and one trowels and then there was us doin proper 2 coats and 2 trowels with a dry gaff after, that was bollox i can tell ya finished my first bit bout a month i think it was then sacked it off.
but then on the other hand been on domestic jobs to give someone a lift on a job and you look at there work and wonder how they are goin to get paid at the end of it, so it 6 of one half a dozen of the other

i like to just do domestics , council work and flood damage work for insurence cos. they do not take the finance up that a site does. the money is safe , no one going broke on you owing you thousands. no 20% tax, no 2% citb payment, no 2% main contractors discount, no aggro, we want ten house done this week and one next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.