What would you do here

This is on our offices and after a year from a builder who is meant to have done it all I have sacked him and need to do it myself.... yay

That ply in there looks fooked to me and I think it needs to come out but not even sure why it is there...

May want to make sure the windows are wedged in tight. If so, I’d refoam that properly and you’ll have to make good with upvc trim and fascia over the steel.
A bit of careful trim and silicone work would cover that mess up and then patch in the render.

May want to make sure the windows are wedged in tight. If so, I’d refoam that properly and you’ll have to make good with upvc trim and fascia over the steel.
A bit of careful trim and silicone work would cover that mess up and then patch in the render.
Oops I disagree , now isn't that unusual,,,,,lol
Only nit picking , did you mean " packed " not "wedged "

ok thanks.

Pretty much confirmed what I thought.

I will take that wood out and foam it then just render it.

I don't like plastic trim

ok thanks.

Only flat trim on the frames to help disguise the lack of skill using a tape measure when measuring up the windows.

ok thanks.

Always best to finish with a trim anyway imo even when correctly sized stops the inevitable cracking!

Window is the wrong size. Should have added a clip on extender to make the frame bigger but they added ply as a bodge.. That's my thought

Are you leaving the steel exposed ? I would shoot on timber to the web of the beam and the underside where they stuck in a bit of a floorboard , cover it in felt and mesh .Then render it .

Are you leaving the steel exposed ? I would shoot on timber to the web of the beam and the underside where they stuck in a bit of a floorboard , cover it in felt and mesh .Then render it .

Going to block itnup lkke the other steel was done

Window is the wrong size. Should have added a clip on extender to make the frame bigger but they added ply as a bodge.. That's my thought

To be fair there was about an inch thick of render all round... and thenoriginal steel wss totalled

I was going to render them back they were already rendered...

Fair enough Danny. They just seemed badly measured and under sized. I often have to make good such things, and can usually turn a sows ear into a silk purse...within reason :D

This is on our offices and after a year from a builder who is meant to have done it all I have sacked him and need to do it myself.... yay

That ply in there looks fooked to me and I think it needs to come out but not even sure why it is there...View attachment 34217
View attachment 34218
View attachment 34219

I have an external, exposed beam over a sunroom that I want to box in to plaster/render. Apologies that it is partially hidden with the scaffolding

What did you do in the end to box in your beam before rendering??

1612105903317.png

I used blocks and cemented them in

I considered that, but I would wonder, how stable blocks are when cemented into an RSJ?

I am considering putting recycled plastic onto the web of the RSJ, instead of timber (which may rot in behind the plaster). I will screw cement board onto the plastic, to plaster onto.

I considered that, but I would wonder, how stable blocks are when cemented into an RSJ?

I am considering putting recycled plastic onto the web of the RSJ, instead of timber (which may rot in behind the plaster). I will screw cement board onto the plastic, to plaster onto.

Nearly 2 years in and no cracks :D The builders who did this initially always do it apparently...

you could always wedge timber in and then screw and exterior render carrier board to it like aquapanel @Runswithscissors maybe abl to guide you on that
I have thought about the timber, but I would be concerned about it rotting in time, therefore I want to use plastic instead if possible. In 10 years time if the timber gave way, there would be nothing to hold the board and the render may not self support itself leading to cracking.

My theory is that if I use a plastic length of 3" x 2" and sprayfoam in around it to prevent sun reaching and heating up the beam through the plaster in heatwave, that I will minimise the risk of cracking.

The Permabase Cement Board seems to be a readymade solution for the render outside

On the other hand, blocking it up seems sensible as there are less materials involved that can expand and contract at different rates. But it would require the blocks to be sliced thinly. The RSJ is 203mm x 102mm which allows for only 2 inches of block to sit in.

Perhaps bolting in a 2" thin lintel might be another solution