What would you do here? PICS

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

worz

Just stripping the wallpaper off before re-boarding the ceiling and plastering the whole room.. having removed the wallpaper on the window wall, I noticed a few problems.

It looks like it's been skimmed over the original plaster at some point, and that layer is coming off, see pic.

Also, there is nasty cracks at the bottom of the window on each side, also the window wood frame looks a bit crappy

In the last room I just pulled the whole wall off and re-boarded it, should I do that here or is there a way to sort it?

Thanks in advance

IMG-20150127-00086_zpsw1esomqq.jpg

IMG-20150127-00091_zpsdqgi80qq.jpg

With the size of the window im not suprised there are cracks appearing at the weakest point... id chop those cracks back to brick to check structure around the window is sound, id fix some EML to the brick rough and skim just to be safe.... as for above the window id scrape the loose plaster off and it up if it feels solid enough and it is just the skimming that as blown.. get some decent pva on it before you skim it

scrape out the cracks then fill and scrim, tap around the wall checking and scraping of all loose plaster, apply pva and skim, doesnt look deep so you can dub out wth first coat .:)

Sorry to stray off subject,I don't get that a big window yet they put a blank in the bottom half.

Thanks guys, ex council house and the windows look crap inside.

I'm thinking about boarding over that panel ...

Ive seen them boarded before.. usually timber frame to inside of reveals, set back for your plasterboard to come flush with existing wall, dont forget to slip a bit of kingspan down their though if you do ;)

Yes would make sense to me,you could always change the blank to glass if you wanted.:RpS_thumbup:

Thanks all, quick question, as the wall is a bit crappy is it OK to just over board the entire wall and window panel ? it's only a small wall..

I wouldnt personally... although sometime you can get away with it if you use secondary fixings but thats not advised.. id still play it safe and rough and skim... if your wanting to board it id advise only boarding to the brick/breeze

Thanks all, quick question, as the wall is a bit crappy is it OK to just over board the entire wall and window panel ? it's only a small wall..
Knock all loose off scratch coat bond the whole wall skim up lovely jubly!:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.