What type of beads for rendering arched areas?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLIPPY

I am starting a job soon that has 3 arched window areas that needs rendered.
what is the best type of bead to form a curve with. I was thinking about using plastic stop end type beads to do this or maybe go freehand . Any suggestions from some seasoned spreads on here? thanks :'(

hard without looking, i always find it hard to get a bead to sit right so id make a timber former and do the job freehand, using the former you have the added bonus of knowing that all the windows will look exactly the same.

Rich

depends on how wide your windows are mate..
expamet do an arch kit for backing plaster/render.. dont be using stop bead, cos youre gonna need the thickness and they aint stiff enough for that..
an arch kit is 3 dimensional, they come in 2'6" or 2'9" and possibly others too.
the expamet version has a pvc 'bead liner' which fits over the metal section and is bloody handy when gettin em to lie up properly, plus if you need to stretch it a bit it'll bridge the gap for you..
wickes do a cheaper version, standard 2'6" without the plastic liner bead if you cant get expamet but you shoyuld be able to order em in from any decent builders merchant..
see 'pictures' in the faq (new to plastering) section for a prime example using exactly this kit.. ;)

richardbrown said:
hard without looking, i always find it hard to get a bead to sit right so id make a timber former and do the job freehand, using the former you have the added bonus of knowing that all the windows will look exactly the same.

Rich
rich is right in what he's saying here.. all the work is done setting the beads.. if it takes you an hour per window to set the bead bang on then so be it... get the bead wrong and youll never get it back where you want it..
if freehanding/using formers youll be left with a 'hard edge' i.e. no bead so you can use a pvc skim coat arch bead over the render when you skim it..

I did a portico not that long ago with four arched window openings and a door opening. Had to do inside, outside and the reveal all in same day. I used hardboard to form a natural curve and it worked a treat..

Screwfix do an arched bead 27062-96 how do i know that when i live in Spain.
Lucius

thanks for all suggestions guys, i think i might try using hardboard to form the curved area.
the arch comes into almost like a semi circle at the top so i would need to prop it up well to prevent any sagging after it has been scratched and floated.

lucius said:
Screwfix do an arched bead 27062-96 how do i know that when i live in Spain.
Lucius
dont tell me...
you have the screwfix catalogue sent over specially every month.. you wait with baited breath for its arrival and when the day finally arrives its off to the bog for half an hour.. am i right? ;D

I dont do a lot of rendering to be honest and never come acroos an arch that needs to be rendered,but like the guys say above i think hard board is the best option here shouldnt be that time consuming either really

Status
Not open for further replies.