what tool?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty3968

alright lads
Im new to the plastering game and was wondering what tool you used to get into tight corners..eg the side of a staircase where it goes into a 45 degree angle ish....the last few inches is to small for a trowel ,,,is there something along the lines of a pointing trowel? ive got a set of small tools but dont quite get into the corner
scotty

Pointing trowel is ideal but don't worry too much the skirtng will cover that bit:RpS_thumbsup:

whats wrong with a leaf and square? or a 'trowel' and square i.e. 'small tool'... its only about 2 square inches that you cant get at..
i usually throw a bit on with the 'small tool' and let it go right off before i touch it up with my 'small tool'?

in fact ive always wondered to myself, what is a guage trowel actually designed for?
answers on a postcard please?

p.s. ive tried the pointing trowel, guage trowel (before i throw it back in the van for another 6 months) and to be honest, i can get it 'flat' with any old piece of straightish plastic then finish with the little leaf and square... turn out to be the best tool in the box, specially on council type jobs where youre trying to plaster behind hand basins, bogs etc...

lad i know only uses his gauger to point up his ridges?

get yourself an old credit card,top up card, gift voucher and cut them to size. good for any small margins aswell. good old tip from stolen stilton that

or just use a small tool

a gauging trowel is used to scrape the side of the buckets mate...
ive always used a trowel, i.e finish trowel, prior to 'bucket' trowels...
ive honestly never seen the need for a 'guager'.. brickie trowel, pointer, finish trowel, no bucket has a rounded bottom like a gauger anyway?
besides...
how do you spell guage? or gauge?
redundant tool imo...

Chris I saw this old guy rendering a wall in France with a gauging trowel straight from his barrow threw it on the wall then smoothed it off with the back of it :RpS_lol:
To be fair it looked ok next day:rolleyes)

In times past I have seen old spreads use these tools to meausure amouints when mixing with putty lime and also been use when building out a cornice.

god man must have taken him ages... :RpS_blink:

see this is it, maybe its what you get used to..

when i lay bricks, i use a brickie trowel... i can get a decent amount of muck on in, lay it on the course, flatten it and run the tip down the centre to lift it...

when i was bricking up fireplaces for the council, the brickie trowel stayed in the van, i'd mix up enough for 3 thermalites in a bucket with a bucket trowel and use the same trowel for puttin em down...

I use a bucket trowel for bedding and pointing ridges/hips... better trowel than a guager although prior to the bucket trowel, a guager did seem to be handier for cutting off once bedded on...

ive really got no use for a guager at all??? kin waste of time imo? and why the f'ck do they call it a 'guage' trowel anyway?

I use one for putting cove addy on back of cove straight from bucket.
And it seems to scrape the bottom of gorilla tubs out better than a square edged bucket trowel.
It also came in use on them funny lumpy shaped walls I did in france with lutece one coat chris :RpS_wink:

Gauging trowel is used for mixing or gauging small quantities of quick setting plaster and so will a brick trowel , bucket trowel. Just maybe the measurment of powder this trowel holds when adding to lime putty. So became the standard of the day from times past.

i've started using a gorilla tub for dab and bonding lee, its a pain to clean the corners out at the end, might have to buy myself a trowhawk

i only ever use my gaugein trowel when ive got to knock up a small bit of bonding or somethin other than that it just sits in the van, i dnt even have a stainless steel one just because i dnt use it enough to warrent buying a good one.

I use one for putting cove addy on back of cove straight from bucket.
And it seems to scrape the bottom of gorilla tubs out better than a square edged bucket trowel.
It also came in use on them funny lumpy shaped walls I did in france with lutece one coat chris :RpS_wink:

so thats how you did it!

i was thinking youd thrown it on and just kept running a sponge over it!

The bloke who taught me always said that the guaging trowel should be stood upright in a bucket and water added up to the top of the blade. This provided the right amount of water to give a full bucket of finish when the powder was added - I seem to remember him saying it was more usual for 'guaging' lime putty. To guage is to measure, right?

yeh, as is a 'guage' of plaster...
but i swear, that'll only work in a gorilla tub...
guage trowel of water in a builders bucket gonna do you about 1/2 a bag surely?

so thats how you did it!

i was thinking youd thrown it on and just kept running a sponge over it!

:RpS_biggrin:
Yeah i used a gauging trowel & hawk and just used the back of it to apply it and spread it to follow the stonework underneath, some areas I just threw it on first:RpS_biggrin:then spread it out then sponged it over when it firmed up a bit & just kept going over it with a clean sponge now & again till it was finished :RpS_thumbup:

By the way that old dude I was on about was only rendering a front wall about 4' high:RpS_biggrin:

when i came across that stone i fired s'tloads of lutece on it and ruled it... cost the bloke a fortune... :RpS_blink:
good job i didnt show him your pic... :RpS_laugh:

i've started using a gorilla tub for dab and bonding lee, its a pain to clean the corners out at the end, might have to buy myself a trowhawk

They sell em not far from me want me to send you one:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.