What to expect from a plasterer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miniandrew

Hi folks,

I'm a regular user of forums for such drab things as helping people in debt, but I'm just moved in to a new house and it's an old 1860's coach-house which needs some work to it and I need some pointers as to what I need to look out for from builders.

Experienced people like you on here are invaluable as they are on the sites I frequent like the consumer action group, so I do hope you don't mind me gate-crashing the site to get this guidance?

For those who don't know, a coach-house was used by visitors to a manor house of some kind and their horse drawn coaches were brought into what we would call a 'garage' with a pit in the floor for inspecting under the carriages.

The people who we bought from moved in 25yrs ago and the 'garage' still had its original wooden doors 9ft sq x 2 and a pit, but they replaced the damaged wood doors and bricked them up behind to create an internal wall making the garage a living room. They cleaned up all the brick walls by getting someone to run over them with an angle grinder leaving scoured circular marks all over the bricks and left not a straight flat wall in the place.

During our search for a property we favoured older barn conversions and oasts, but as they were located generally in the countryside away from the grandchildren we decided to stay closer to the city and found this old place.

With the flavour of the barn conversions still in our minds thought we'd like to to add some character back into this place and bring in a few ideas from the barns.

Not wishing to make a coach house into a look-a-like barn when it's not a barn we decided to plaster over these rugged walls (and it's a shame because natural yellow brick looks nice but it's so dark in here we have to lighten it up) and add a few oak beams .

This brings me to my question:

I had a guy come and describe how plastering the walls and adding oak beams/panels/planks (whatever you call them) about 5-6" wide floor/skirting to ceiling and a few around the door we needed to take in to account the environment the room takes with heating etc and the plastering finish can be different accordingly as timber shrinks, plastering cracks and so on.

So, we have a 30sq mtr room, we are floor tiling with Travatine natural tumbled stone with underfloor heating and we are adding a log burner. The 9ft sq 'doors' are being replaced by windows.

The walls will be plastered and in all 7 floor to ceiling (8-9ft) beams of approximately 5-6 " wide projecting some 2" from the surface in grade B light oak will be added with a few added struts at an angle of some 60 degrees.

Should I expect the plasterer/builder to afix the beams first to the walls and then plaster up to the beams or, given the materials/heating/shrinkage/movement etc., plaster the whole wall first then afixing the beams in your learned opinions?

What kind of materials should I expect them to use for the plastering?

I've read numerous threads on here of the techniques some of you have discussed on plastering in barn conversions, but this is not quite a barn conversion as we are adding the older wood ourselves rather than using original beams in place already.

I need to reassure myself that whoever is spinning me the details of how they will be doing this job actually knows what he/she is doing.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Andrew.

Morning Andrew

welcome to the forum mate!

It is a bit early in the morning for the true spreads to be up and at it...... I am a material supplier and sponsor, so not really the sort of member you are after....

what you really want someone to come out and give an expert opinion / quote, let us know where you are based as well....

Give it until tea time and you will have some posts....

Good Luck mate

Last edited:
The best thing you can do is get hold of a good honest local spread, there's loads of variables I bet and you need to see it really

You could maybe do a few walls in sand and cement floated and sponged you can have them left perfect or maybe rougher depending on what you want where. Rougher sometimes gives it an older look IMO.

I can do rough.:RpS_thumbsup:to be honest I think I would go for fitting the timber first then plastering after,I've seen it like that in old farmhouses and a bit of a rougher look seems more in character.finishing it dead smooth would make it seem more of a modern finish.good luck with it sounds interesting work,let everyone know where your based.

get an architect who deal;s in this kind of property in your area he will know the tradesmen and materials to use and if it goes tits-up youve got someone to blame (sue)

this coach house is from 1860s so it must be a grade 2 listed building i would think. i would go to the local planing office first to find out what you can and what you cannot do.
putting false beams and studs up is a no no. the house could turn out looking like something out of toy town.
how damaged are the yellow bricks? they sound like they be a strong stock brick.
oul local maltings are being turned into flats for weekenders. they shot blasted the bricks bringing up a dappled finish to the brickwork, which was accepted by the planning authorites

this coach house is from 1860s so it must be a grade 2 listed building i would think. i would go to the local planing office first to find out what you can and what you cannot do.
putting false beams and studs up is a no no. the house could turn out looking like something out of toy town.
how damaged are the yellow bricks? they sound like they be a strong stock brick.
oul local maltings are being turned into flats for weekenders. they shot blasted the bricks bringing up a dappled finish to the brickwork, which was accepted by the planning authorites

Just because a property is old doesn't mean it'll be listed, my cottage is from 1800 and although people have applied to have it listed, the listings officer, after a visit and lengthy chat wasn't interested.

Just because a property is old doesn't mean it'll be listed, my cottage is from 1800 and although people have applied to have it listed, the listings officer, after a visit and lengthy chat wasn't interested.

u mean c u n t s have applied to have it listed

u mean c u n t s have applied to have it listed

Yes twice they've tried. First time a lengthy meeting with the listings officer, the second time a quick cup of coffee and an assurance that he wouldn't be bothering me again.
Anyone can apply for someone else's property to be listed and age isn't the main criteria, so I was told.

i would have thought that a late georgian coach house to a manor house would be of an interest to be a listed property.
i did pruchase a thatched cottage in leavenheath suffolk, it was not listed , it had a pine frame, i do not think my one had as much age as it looked.

The odd thing about listed buildings is that you can let them rot but if you renovate them you have to follow all the recommendations from the heritage society

Yes twice they've tried. First time a lengthy meeting with the listings officer, the second time a quick cup of coffee and an assurance that he wouldn't be bothering me again.
Anyone can apply for someone else's property to be listed and age isn't the main criteria, so I was told.

age is only one aspect of listing. the black brick tower blocks at essex university are listed buildings. they where built in 1965 and at 13 storys are the tallest brick buildings in europe.
each floor had curtains in the same bright colour,as part of the design. if you go there today you can still pickout which colour is on which floor. so some of the curtains have hung there for almost 50 years.

I grew up in beaconsfield,bucks.we were told that the tower up at the local army camp was the tallest brick built tower.well I am going to have to find out now,thanks malc:RpS_sneaky:

Looked it up Malc,it says 15 storeys as I remembered,the officers accommodation tower built in 1969.apparently the queen took exception as it offered perfect views of Windsor castle.and it sways in the wind.not sure if it is listed though and the camp is up for being built on with new homes.will it stay or go?

we had the floor screeding contract at essex univ. the walls are all painted blockwork.
a labourer would be given 10 ton of sand a heap of cement and told to mix up. there would be about four labourers mixing, each on thetre own heap of sand, another one on the barrow,another one on the hoist and 2 laying.a fight would break out if the screed was not coming up quick enough. a tough job with tough men.

The labourers wore leather g-strings,the guy on the hoist wore fishnets and the two laying the screed were rolling around in together in a clinch reminiscent of 9n a half weeks.just kiddin Malc,lot of respect for the old ways of grafting.:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.