What to do with a conduit that was chased in too shallow?

Which option?

• Chase up chaser :)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Chase up electrician

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Plaster over and hope for the best

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Re-plaster the entire wall

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atreides

Hi.

What do you do when you've had a conduit chased in your internal single brick wall too that is shallow? The surface of the conduit now lies flush with the existing plaster!

We had an electrician doing some wiring but in one place we needed a new chase down the wall. He did not have a vacuum-collection unit so it was going to make a huge mess. Instead we hired a local contractor to cut the chase into the wall. I wanted a 32mm conduit so I could run speaker cables, a HDMI cable and an optical cable up the wall. The chaser has cut it wide enough but not deep enough. Unfortunately however, I did not realise this until the electrician had come and wired in the conduit and brush plates and my wife had already filled it with plaster for the first coat.

I see my options as:
1. Call the chaser back and get him to fix it (i.e. he should have cut deeper)
2. Call the electrician back and get him to fix it (i.e. he shouldn't have installed a conduit that was clearly so close to the surface. The electrician was the one who chipped out the brick between the cuts)
3. Plaster over it and gradually taper it back to the existing wall.
4. Re-plaster the whole wall.

I think that 1. and 2. would be bad options since a) they will both likely say it's the other person's fault b) it will involve ripping everything out and starting again and c) the timber floors are being put in on Monday and my wife hates the thought of any more work going on once they are in and d) we are living with my parents in law and my wife is keen to move back into our house. Option 4. would be the most foolproof but would be more time and cost and run into problem c) and d) as well.

So unless anyone has any better suggestions I think I will have to go with 3. and hope for the best. The wall will be partially covered with a large entertainment unit so any issues won't be glaringly obvious. I guess if the plaster cracks off in 6 months or so we can address the issue then (probably with option 4) once we are living in the house and the floorboards will have the inevitable scratches in them so this option may seem more palatable.

How much plaster is necessary over a plastic conduit? Is there anything you can do to stop it cracking? I have heard that some PVA on the conduit helps it stick.

Peter

3 or 4.

Its not really our job to do it and I hate it when sparkies leave it flush or even proud but I just normally blend it our. Or If I don't like the spark ill take the capping off and leave it next to it so he knows ive taken it off

Last edited:
Thanks Beddy.

Unfortunately it's a round pipe, not one with a cap. Here's a photo.

1-conduit.jpg

The sparky is at fault as he would have known the depth required to accommodate that conduit, unless he expressed a reluctance to take out any more of the brick with it being a single skin. The best solution now will be to feather it out as said previously :RpS_thumbup:

get the sparky back ,do the job correctly your wall wont look right unless its flat ..... all problems are caused by other trades plasterers cover them up

Just skim it bollox to bonding it, the round conduit has no flex so it shouldn't crack. Feather it out a foot or so either side with skim. Job done

Thanks guys.

I went with the skim over method. The house was built by a first-home builder so I figured that even if there is some slight imperfection it will no means stick out as the only one. The back bedrooms were obviously plastered by the apprentice with little supervision.

The 2nd coat of paint is drying now so I will post some photos once it's all done. I'm hoping this thread will be useful to others in the future as I could not find anything about it and it seems like it might be a common issue.

i imagine this thread will be of use to no one lol

Why not? This is the DIY section after all. Many of us have little idea what we are doing :)

It would have been useful to me at least. Even my choice turns out a complete disaster, others can learn from it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.