what to charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b2k99

Hi all, I'm new to the forum so take it easy on me!

I have been plastering and taping for about 10 years, mostly internal with a bit of rendering (sand/cement and krend) in between.

I've spent my time working as a subbie with the odd high priced fiddle to keep me going.

Long story short... Ive decided to work for myself which has been going well so far but I have had a rendering job come up that I'm unsure how to price fairly.

It is a gable end with bad access 6m wide by about 7high
On to dirty stone that will need a fair amount of jetwashing, hacking off and dubbing out, 2 coat render and a tyrolean finish

This is what I have come up with
I'll need a 2 lift Scaffold £192 inc vat, materials £168 (didn't price for any lime though, necessary?) and labour
4 days me and my boy £800

That is £1160.

She just wants the wall tarted up to sell btw

There is also a few little extras included but only small things so I won't bore you with it lol

I am more than capable of doing the job albeit with a bit off messing about with the tyrolean gun

Does this sound like a fair price? Do you think I am being too cheap?
Works been tight since xmas and don't want to scare the woman but I also want to earn out of it... I'm sure you all understand

I'm in the west country if that helps lol

Any advise or criticism will be greatly received, thanks for looking

Way too cheap but we dont talk rates on here. Scaffold is unrealistic price.

Last edited:
Way too cheap but we dont talk rates on here. Scaffold is unrealistic price. Triple it.
Thanks for your response mate.

I have had the price for the scaffolding already, he is cheap but I've used him before (platform for a large stairway ceiling £205+vat, had it for a month)
sorry, I didn't realise not to discuss rates, do you think I have allowed for enough time for the job?
I know these sound like stupid questions but pricing jobs is the worst part of working for yourself I think and I don't want to get a name for being greedy!

I think he means a tower scaff at that price,it doesn't usually end well when we talk rates or price b2k99 as a price you may consider fair others may not:RpS_thumbup:

Be careful here being a newbie to working on your direct to customer. She wants it just tarting up to sell? What she really wants is a proffesionally looking good job but cheap. Bit of a trick to pull on a novice business man. If the job looks cheap she will have good cause to dispute the workmanship. Besides if you do a cheap job people will see you and if you put your name to it,it could back fire on you.

I don't entertain these parasites. I did a cheap job in my start up days because the customer demanded a cheap job. Didn't work out that way, when she realised I was doing cheap she demanded a quality job or you would not pay. That was my first and last 'cheap job". I now walk away.Leave them for the chancers.

Don't trust this woman, price right. Proper scaffold or risk H&S fining you, I got caught last October. Hire costs, skip, realistic time hacking off and putting back on. Tyrollean isn't cheap either. Don't be scared to charge, you wish you had if you do it at a loss.

Lol I think you lot are being ripped off for your scaffolding! Your all jealous! lol

thanks for all of your advice, it was more timescale than actual price I was after lol, I was just thinking out loud so to speak:)

The scaffold company holds the liability when it comes to the safety aspects of the of their work and I'm worth more dead anyway so my missus will have a nice payday things go wrong lol.

I wouldn't ever do a substandard job whether they want it cheap or not, and I have lost out a few times just to secure the work when I have needed to... Didn't like to though :(

So... New question.... How long would it take any of you professionals? Same scenario, 2 blokes on a bamboo tower?

Truthfully now people I don't want to hear that you can put on a 500m2 wall before breakfast on your own with one hand behind ya backs ;)

2 days hack off. At least 2 days scratching on being old stone, maybe into 3 depending how flat you want it. 1 good day to render up tp 35m2 ( 6m x 5m plus apex) 1 day tyrolean.

At least 6 days.

2 days hacking,1 day washing down and rendaid,2 days scratching,1 day finishing,total days 6@230=1380
Scaffolding say roughly 600 to be covered(1 day up 1 day down)
Materials 400

Job total 2380 which rounded off is 2400 all in.
At a push you could probably do it in 5 days if hacking goes well.
Job could possibly be done for 2200 but start at 2400 and try not to budge.
Its not going to take you all day to scratch the gable on both days so if you finish up at say 1pm and have another job going on in roughly the same area you could get a few hours in there aswell.
Best of luck

That's good old "jonny cash"by the way
2 days hacking,1 day washing down and rendaid,2 days scratching,1 day finishing,total days 6@230=1380
Scaffolding say roughly 600 to be covered(1 day up 1 day down)
Materials 400

Job total 2380 which rounded off is 2400 all in.
At a push you could probably do it in 5 days if hacking goes well.
Job could possibly be done for 2200 but start at 2400 and try not to budge.
Its not going to take you all day to scratch the gable on both days so if you finish up at say 1pm and have another job going on in roughly the same area you could get a few hours in there aswell.
Best of luck

You started the thread "what to charge"

I dont understand your now asking about timescale??

What is it with thick fuuckers asking bullshit ....when they get advice they shiit thier pants ??

Lol I think you lot are being ripped off for your scaffolding! Your all jealous! lol

thanks for all of your advice, it was more timescale than actual price I was after lol, I was just thinking out loud so to speak:)

The scaffold company holds the liability when it comes to the safety aspects of the of their work and I'm worth more dead anyway so my missus will have a nice payday things go wrong lol.

I wouldn't ever do a substandard job whether they want it cheap or not, and I have lost out a few times just to secure the work when I have needed to... Didn't like to though :(

So... New question.... How long would it take any of you professionals? Same scenario, 2 blokes on a bamboo tower?

Truthfully now people I don't want to hear that you can put on a 500m2 wall before breakfast on your own with one hand behind ya backs ;)
Gobshite!! Go get a job at aldi or something were you will be more at home! Bottomfeeder!!!:flapper:

You say you've been in the game for ten years. You've had advice based on experience and knowledge over many years. If you're genuine maybe you should be a little more humble if you've no idea what you are doing

Hi all, I'm new to the forum so take it easy on me!

I have been plastering and taping for about 10 years, mostly internal with a bit of rendering (sand/cement and krend) in between.

I've spent my time working as a subbie with the odd high priced fiddle to keep me going.

Long story short... Ive decided to work for myself which has been going well so far but I have had a rendering job come up that I'm unsure how to price fairly.

It is a gable end with bad access 6m wide by about 7high
On to dirty stone that will need a fair amount of jetwashing, hacking off and dubbing out, 2 coat render and a tyrolean finish

This is what I have come up with
I'll need a 2 lift Scaffold £192 inc vat, materials £168 (didn't price for any lime though, necessary?) and labour
4 days me and my boy £800

That is £1160.

She just wants the wall tarted up to sell btw

There is also a few little extras included but only small things so I won't bore you with it lol

I am more than capable of doing the job albeit with a bit off messing about with the tyrolean gun

Does this sound like a fair price? Do you think I am being too cheap?
Works been tight since xmas and don't want to scare the woman but I also want to earn out of it... I'm sure you all understand 

I'm in the west country if that helps lol

Any advise or criticism will be greatly received, thanks for looking
im from the west country mate, if youre getting a gable end scaffolded for £192, can you pass me his number cus im paying about £500, cheers

Mate I'd be charging £1200 just for the jet washing. Your looking at more like £8000 for that job.

If it's stone you might need a lime render on there. If so double your price £16000.

Can you give me your scaffolders number also please £192 for a gable? That would be the VAT for me on a job like that.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Mate I'd be charging £1200 just for the jet washing. Your looking at more like £8000 for that job.

If it's stone you might need a lime render on there. If so double your price £16000.

Can you give me your scaffolders number also please £192 for a gable? That would be the VAT for me on a job like that.

Good luck.

**** up you slag

Mate I'd be charging £120 just for the hand relief. Your looking at more like £180 for a blow job.

If it's dry bareback bumming you might need an anal relaxant on there. If so double your price £240.

Can you give me your number also please £192 for a felching? That would be the VAT for me on a job like that.

Good luck.

A detailed explanation as always, Thank you Freed

Status
Not open for further replies.