what surface can u dot and dab on ??

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikelikesfish

can u dot dab onto a skimmed wall ?? ive told you cant, he said the only way is to pva the wall, and where your going to put the dabs is to put sand on the wet pva, so when it dries you have a key..

ive read you can, the adhesive will almost stick anything to anything.

ive read to dot and dab and lightly screw boards on the wall just for security

ive read you can only use batterns

ive read too much lol :RpS_scared::RpS_scared:

You need to go to school your asking silly question there is lots of different answer to your question but sand on the wal WTF sorry mate you need anothe week on a coarse

can u dot dab onto a skimmed wall ?? ive told you cant, he said the only way is to pva the wall, and where your going to put the dabs is to put sand on the wet pva, so when it dries you have a key..

Looking at your avatar i would guess you followed my link here from wsf?

I wouldnt dot and dab onto a skimmed wall unless i know 100% the surface is sound, you dont want the weight of the boards pulling the skim off the wall :RpS_scared: But if the surface is good enough to dab on then why not just reskim? Or if its the insulation boards you are planning on using then you cant dab them anyway as they will fail, batten and screw them :RpS_sleep:

More than likely i will get shot down in flames by the more knowledgeable beings:RpS_laugh:

If the skimmed wall you hope to dab onto is sound dab away mate, if you are really concerned mix a small amount of dri wall and stick it to your skimmed wall as a tester ...... And have fun tryin to knock it off next day! Then you'll know:RpS_thumbup:

howdy,

you will be able to dab onto any "sound" surface my friend, if it has a gloss finish key it up and go for it; no problem and no worries.

Rock on !

who told ya that load of bull lol

Hope you can been doing it for years if it makes you feel better put a few fixings in.

Thanks lads, ye wall is sound and nice and dry, should i uni bond it before dabbing or straight on with the boards.. insulation is the reason why...
thanks lads..great news

If it's fresh plaster or matt emulsion then PVA. If silk or gloss then don't bother.

Are you dotting insulation boards on? If so there are a few different kinds. Foil back cant be dotted, paperback can and polystyrene backed board can too. Although some say it's best too mechanical fix polystyrene boards incase of fire.

Thankyou...im getting thepaper back insulating boards for alcoves and standard boards for chimney breast..ive stripped the walls right back to the skim, there in prity good nik..its just a cold wall as its the gable end.
Thanks again folks..really appriciate your time..

The quicker you Get it done the quicker you get back to your fishing:RpS_lol::RpS_thumbsup:

Last edited:
Too right fatarm, lol..thanks for the link too..boards will be up wednedday skirtings on, she can paint while im back fishing sunday..

Status
Not open for further replies.