what size screws for overboarding

Status
Not open for further replies.
squeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!

squeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkk!!!!!!

squeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!

there are times when a 110v autofeed is worth its weight in gold...

what I try and do is hack the plaster off the laths with a shovel, leave the laths up and board over em.... shorter screws, no dead weight sittin on the boards, and the laths keep all the loft soot where it supposed to be - in the frikken loft! :RpS_bored:

if theres yet another job a hate with a passion.... its de-lathing ceilings... :RpS_cursing:

Same as above^^ you still get covered in soot when fixing the boards looking like a coal miner by the end of the day.

agree with you spunky :RpS_thumbup: couldnt see me lab the last time we done 1, but i suppose if the door is shut and i'm standing outside, it would e hard to see him ! :RpS_sneaky:

I dropped a ceiling years ago in the middle of Stoke and had to have about five goes at it as the room just went pitch black and the window was just a little top opening casement.

.. worst one i was one when I had to drop a the lid but the customer wanted to keep the cornice, so it was angle grinder all around the cornice.. I'm not joking, couldn't see a thing in front of me, after i dropped the lid I stepped outside the door for a breather customer reckoned i looked like one of the locals

agree with you spunky :RpS_thumbup: couldnt see me lab the last time we done 1, but i suppose if the door is shut and i'm standing outside, it would e hard to see him ! :RpS_sneaky:

LOL:RpS_lol: You really need to treat king kev better than that Jonst!
Remember when you punched him for letting go of that 8 x 4 board which you generoursly decided to fix one joist at a time, working slo-o-o-o-owly towards him?............................poor kev:rolleyes)

50mms, half inch through your board, half inch through the old ceiling and an inch into the joists, going nowwhere. Why would you wanna take off the plaster and board over the lathes? Knowing my luck I'd do that and they'd be lapped joints lol. Nothing worse than a ceiling coming down all in one, lath and plaster.I prefer to take the plaster off first, clear up, then get the laths down.Saying that, I can't remember the last time we took down a lath and plaster ceiling, we just overboard and tell the office we ripped it down, **** 'em

ive seen 30mm of old plaster, followed by about 3 coats of overskim, followed by artex @ 1/4" thick.... assumption is the mother of all f'ckups...

Gotta agree with you there Chris, doesn't take long to measure the depth of existing ceiling:RpS_thumbup:

you can feel when you hit a joist and see how much of the screw is still left out if its nowt use a longer screw 50 mm seems to have done the job for me altho i admit i have overboarded overboarding then its 70 mm

You will need betweem 20 to 25mm of the screw into the existing timber joist for a good fixing. You will therefore need to accertain the thickness of the existing coatings and lathes by inspection,add the thickness of board,( ussually 9.5mm for overboard) and add your 20mm penetration of fixing depth. 75mm and 100mm dry wall screws best driven in with impact driver, especially into seasoned rock hard ceiling joists.:RpS_crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.