What should I do?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy24

Hi guys I'm pricing a job and not sure what option is best what you think? It's a living room that was over skimmed over a year ago which is covered in cracks. Iv told the customer take the lot off board and skim but they don't want the mess from hacking off. Or blue gritting the walls and boarding over an option ? As it will save a lot of mess? Cheers in advance for any advise?

Hi guys I'm pricing a job and not sure what option is best what you think? It's a living room that was over skimmed over a year ago which is covered in cracks. Iv told the customer take the lot off board and skim but they don't want the mess from hacking off. Or blue gritting the walls and boarding over an option ? As it will save a lot of mess? Cheers in advance for any advise?

Don't board over it whatever you do!
If the cracks are hollow adding extra weight won't help.

Mesh in the first coat would help, although like others have said no guarantee as you don't know what it's going to do in the future!

Not quite sure what's caused the cracking think it's original plaster that should have come off to start with. Sounds like the render mess might be a good option as I know if I just pva scrim and the skim it will crack still. Cheers guys

bed render mesh in the skim, i have done this on several jobs and they have never cracked.....

I normally bed it in a tight coat of bonding then skim .

You can get a 1mm mesh same as render mesh just finer than render mesh and goes in the finish really well

If the original plaster is loose and thats why its all cracked, id be reluctant to mesh and skim? Its not gonna do anything exept add weight ?:frenetico:

I'll find the details of the company we get our 1mm meter wide mesh off when I get in for you

Ok cheers guys ill try and get some pics up so you can have a better look. How does the mesh work Iv never used it before do i bed in with bonding all over the walls and the over skim? And can I garuntee it won't crack again?

Depends on why its all cracked? Is the original lost its bond? If so ..mesh wont do nowt.
if its cracked out but all is sound then mesh bedded in and skimmed over is ideal ...
to many variables(asif quote):whistle:...guesswork for us to define for sure:coffe:

Most of the cracked areas did sound hollow when I tapped them. That's why I wanted to take the lot back brick and start again but the customer really don't want the mess. But it looks like there is no other option unless they get it paper lined.

Let em carry on then and don't put your name to it.
If your really not sure and your letting the customer tell you what to do then you know you have doubts and shouldn't be doing what they want when you have another thing in your head.
Money saved for them now is money then spent by you to fix it.
Win win for them not so much for you mate.

Most of the cracked areas did sound hollow when I tapped them. That's why I wanted to take the lot back brick and start again but the customer really don't want the mess. But it looks like there is no other option unless they get it paper lined.
If its hollow it has to come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.