What rate?

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob121

Evening all,

I currently work in kent (south east). My boss has asked me if I will go and stay at a job in chelsea with another lad to do some work on a flat. Rip out partion walls, put new ones up, tack and plaster. Also some joinery work, cupboards, window boards etc.

Anyone got any ideas how much I should be charging? Normally on £70 quid a day, never work more than 20 min from where I live. Obviously gotta pay for my own food petrol etc.

Cheers Rob

seems at cross purposes this...
only on 70 quid a day for the 'boss'?
sounds like its an ongoing kinda thing for a small builder, prolly payin him cis/subby but keeping him on all the time.. shite money like, i pay labourers 60 quid..

so to ask 'how much should i be chargin'... surely thats up to the gaffer and he takes it or leaves it..

or if he really has quoted himself out at 70 quid a day less tax etc..
then the job is 70 quid+travelling time/digs money+fuel+parking easy innit?

my son earns £80 for a 10hr saturday at tescos, and i was on £120 a day carrying a hod in 1988.

i dont know whats the matter with you all plasterers all earn in excess of 1000 per week .........so book yourself into youwontlearnplasteringinthreedaysbutweregonnarobyouyoustupidcunts 3 day intensive pretend plastering course .............

yea moneys s**t, but I do mainly building, not a lot of plastering.

yea your right, its a small company who I sub for regularly. Cant winge too much atm, hes booked up till past august and ive got mates who havent got anything.

Perhaps a pay rise is needed.

Yea I was going to work out travel, meals, thinking about £170, does that sound about right?

Maybe the lad is comfortable working for 70 quid a day i get 80 quid a day but i'm racked out rather than be on that and working full months than 250 and only work a week or 2 out of the month he has the security of work and not having to play around with tax and go looking at jobs your not defo going 2 get all the time!

basher you G** b*****d noone works for 80 a day unless youre s.h.i.t or a mug

hey,
I'm working in epping at the moment, complete with digs, i'm charging the client £150 per day for 8hrs (3 mix's plus setup/takedown) work,not including the digs and a meal, thats minimum, chelsea i reakon you could up the price a bit.

Hope this helps
Barry

i'd at least add youre digs mate ..the problem is they might find someone local then youre screwed

I'm in the building industry as a Quantity Surveyor and Project Manager and have been plastering in my spare time for ages The rate we use is £15 / m2 for a normal skim and anything up to £25 / m2 for skimming over artex ceilings this roughly equates to anywhere between £150-£250 a day. I would have thought this is the price you should be charging and then say £40 / night digs?

Jord

Are you really a quantity surveyor? If you are do you really only expect a plasterer to do 10m2 a day and if you say you have been plastering in your spare time for ages, do you only get 10m2 done a day? :eek: The prices you quote are from cloud cuckoo land, you might get the odd job at such prices but not many, unless all the jobs you do are only 10m2 and you are just allowing for a days money and materials.
Oh and if you do run jobs at these prices then please contact me and don't tell any of the others on here about it. ;)

I think you misunderstand. these are the rates that are normally charged out for contracts and therefore anything over 10m2 in a day will be profitable. From a personal point of view you are right that you would easily be able to do more than this. Most contractors normally price their plasterers out at £250 a day to both pay them and have money for OHP (Overheads and Profit). Generally you can pick up cheap plasterers for less than a £100 / day but good plasterers should be able to bag anything up to £300 a day. It all depends on how good you are and how much you can get done in a day, small jobs, large jobs etc!

And yes you cheeky bugger if I only did 10m2 in a day I would be ashamed - normally bash out 2 large ceilings in a day!!

warriorupnorth said:
I'm with Andy on this one don't tell the others and forward any enquiry's you don't want to us ;) mums the word

North & South Plastering Ltd has a nice ring to it Warrior, my wife was originally from Yorkshire so she could interpret for me as you lot talk a little funny up there ;), I'm up in York for a wedding in a couple of weeks so we could meet up and decide whether we could make it pay at £15m2 for skim or £25m2 over Artex.

essexandy said:
warriorupnorth said:
I'm with Andy on this one don't tell the others and forward any enquiry's you don't want to us ;) mums the word

North & South Plastering Ltd has a nice ring to it Warrior, my wife was originally from Yorkshire so she could interpret for me as you lot talk a little funny up there ;), I'm up in York for a wedding in a couple of weeks so we could meet up and decide whether we could make it pay at £15m2 for skim or £25m2 over Artex.

Cock on me old mucker, i think i could manage 10m2 a day of either and go for it on a friday to make some bonus , maybe do 12m2, :eek: North and south i like the name has a nice ring to it mate ;) ;)

how about north,south and south western ??? we would have all angles covered then, or if your not interested i'll go direct @ £9 per m2 and £24 per m2 but would have to work that little bit harder to make my money

fair enough gents but we've got loads of work coming in at the rate's I stated and the customer is always happy as they're left with a clean room and good finish. Once painted we always offer to go back and rectify the odd mark or two and actually do it! This then begins the word of mouth and repeat work.

The main thing when quoting people is to give them the cost and offer a decent discount if they give you all of the work.

What do you guys normally skim and over artex for at a m2? And does this include travel and materials?

Jord

good for you jordster :)

every time this discussion comes up now, and its on an almost weekly basis these days, I just remember what simply said the other week.... never worry if people are getting work and theyre cheaper than you, only worry if theyre more expensive...

but I always end up wondering just what exactly is it that makes a £250 ceiling better value for money than a £150 ceiling? When you consider that the job takes 3 hours, 4 maximum, half a day say and costs roughly 20 quid in materials whether your johnny big bananas running 500 plasterers or acme plastering inc with a smoky old minivan and 2 buckets, if the end result is the same then at least some of the money must be 'salesmans profit'...

probably why Im not a businessman ;D

I do clean up though, I even put a groundsheet on the floor! AND GET THIS!!! If they've got another little 10m ceiling in the next room and Ive got a bit left I'll do it for FREE!! Bargain or what eh? ;D

come on ladies and gents, grab the bargain of the century, I'm out of my mind, crrrrrrrazy prices!!

yer buys one, yer gets one free!!! I say YER BUYS ONE!!, YER GETS ONE FREE!!!! ;D ;D

same here - if they've got some window reveals to do or a bit of patch work - no charge. I think the time can be the biggest issue as with the artex in can take a couple of hours to get it all scraped and then two coats of pva + skimming time and travelling. I now try to do two rooms in succession utilising the setting time of the first coat to apply the first in the other room. At the end of the day I hate to see plasterers beeing robbed as it's a skilled profession and is bloody hard work. Every plasterer deserves a good wage as there's a lot of jobs out there where people earn a s**t load of money for doing nothing - that really gets me!!

Jord

i charge by the day you must have a pricing strategy sheet as long as youre arm if youre charging per ceiling/reveal etc ........must be me being lazy

it looks a little like this -

ornate block paved driveway with stone lions on the pillars and electric gates = (price x 5)

block paved drive with the odd weed and a bit of birdsh't = (price x 4)

gravel drive with weeds growing though = (price x3)

concrete drive done in 4 parts and paint peeling on front door, nice car though = (price x2)

mud drive with rusty old car parts and an old fridge in front garden, 7 screaming kids = (price+can of strong lager)

70 a day thats mad. only 10m2 of float and skim. keeping in mind most spreads wil do 45 m2 aday. so y wud u wrk for 70

i only pay my ypunge plasterer 45 a day. i feel like a scrouge now. should i pay them more?. if i did i would have to work harder :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

i pay my lab 60 a day .......he can skim and he's up for it everyday so aslong as he covers his money im happy

Status
Not open for further replies.