What product/method for plastering onto timber lathed ceiling?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lettuce

Good afternoon. I am doing a job for a customer who wants me to use traditional plastering methods. He has had some water come through his lath/plaster landing and stairwell ceiling. I will be removing the loose and defective plaster and believe the existing laths will be solid enough not to disturb so I was wondering what products I should use for the plastering/finishing part?

I've read elsewhere that for lath/plaster wall you can prepare and PVA the laths and use bonding coat the finish with multi, but this is a ceiling I'm working on so didn't know if bonding would be too wet/sloppy?

I've called and spoke to British Gypsum and Lafarge but neither of them could offer any help. BGP said they don't do any product suitable for lath/plaster so I feel a bit stumped.

Any help would be massively appreciated. I'm booked to start the job next Monday so want to get the gear ordered as soon as possible (if needed).

Thanks.

bonding will be fine....but ....its not really a traditional method are they expecting lime plaster ???

traditional method for plastering a ceiling would be to use haired lime morter and lime putty. this will take time so make sure you know what the client wants

for such a basic job you are asking awful lot of questions in this piece lettuce, any plasterer should know these answers, methinks you are the customer and not a plasterer at all,probably a brickie ,as i spit that word out, or even worse an elec dont worry dear the plasterer will sort it out trician, anyhoooo it could also be just me being a tad to suspicious,due to the fact i am recovering from an operation on my bum for a perrenial abcess, bless its little bacteria,also due to the fact i have gone a night without sleep due to this chest infection i also have, or maybe i am right, anyhoo i digress keep going lettuce , i will be rooting for you over the next few days as this pain/chest infection, oh and i almost forgot the delightfull cough i have similair to the noise of a donkey going full pelt all kicks in ,all best hector

bonding and multi is fine but not really traditional method though,if ya mix ya bonding r8 then it shouldn't be too slopy.but these are pretty basic questions to b asking if ya have bin plastering for a while.

you dnt understand what the client wants and if your asking these basic questions about modern materials then you shouldnt be doin the job, if i was you i would check that the client isnt expecting a lime finish

Tell them what they want/need, board it and skim it:RpS_thumbup:Why do they want Traditional, are you sure of what they really want??:confused:

tell your customer that laths are a feature and should be left exposed!
if he complains take him a brekfast wrap and a extra hash brown when youv finished your shift:RpS_lol:

dont mention it lettuce ,glad to have been of help in my reply to your question,all the best hector

Status
Not open for further replies.