What is this black stuff behind the plaster?!

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gsounds

Hi guys,

Total amateur DIYer here. Just pulled off the skirting and as the nails pull out they're taking half the wall with them! Behind the plaster is a black type of stone, which seems to be falling apart alarmingly easily. Just wondering if anyone knows what material this is and if we should be worried. Many thanks.
P1030984.jpg

Haha thanks bubbles! Pretty messy stuff leaving great holes in the wall for us to fill! Flat was built in 1962...

Just brush out all the loose debris before you patch it up. A bit of sand & cement first to build it out would be a good option :RpS_thumbup:

Hi guys,

Total amateur sipper here.
What is this black stuff behind the Bar?!
Just wondering if anyone knows what this is and if we should be worried. Many thanks.

Probably just Guinness mate no need to worry at all, just ask the barman to pull you a few & sip away :RpS_thumbup:

Also could this be rising damp??
Many thanks again.

Well if the black stuff is rising up through the pipes i'd guess that it was rising damp.
But maybe you need to ask our resident damp expert Edward he's in Jonos bar at the moment checking the dampness of their black stuff.
But I'm sure he'll be on here sooner or later :RpS_thumbup:

I heard that edwardo was starring in the latest dampproofing commercial promoting a new anti- rising damp product...........i think the money & fame have turned him to the dark side. remember the days of plain old irish spread, the one man crusade against the myth of rising damp......rising stardom has changed him...everyman has his price.....:RpS_thumbdn:

Status
Not open for further replies.