What is the average age of the people here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Spread

This is not meant as an insult but the impression i get is that most people who post here are maybe early 20 s and a bit inexperienced.

Correct if i am wrong.

Larve? mmmm!

what makes you say that the spread....

there is a variety of ages all with different levels of experiance. all that combined together offers some very good practical advice

yep fair comment but seems as though beginners far outnumber experience.

Stumbled on this site by accident and fascinated by some stuff.

Age 49 and 28 yrs exp

with no disrispect to danny its still a new site in time it will soon develop.

but keep visiting spread everyone is still learning every day brings on a new challange

sometimes it may just to be to offer a different opinion on how to takle a specific job. different views can answer questions i think we have all needed that in the past.

Hello Spread,

Yep I am 24, I have found that many of the older plasterers I bump into are not too interested about new developments in the industry which is fine due to the fact "always worked for me"

Being young and new to the game I am always trying new techniques and well always learning.

Thanks Trowledover, this forum is less than a year old in fact we are looking at about 8 months old you cant expect too much at this early stage.

However the things I have learnt have been outstanding and the people I have met from this have been superb.

We are greatful for everybodies opinion old or new.

Thanks again

Danny

The guy i learned from has been in the game for over 30 years. He has lots of experience.
I have been doing it around six years, im 27 years old and i am ten times the plaster he is. I have a lot of his customers now.
We broke apart after a lot of arguments about the work and his attitude towards me in front of customers.

Experience means nothing if your no good at the job.
If you do a good job, for a good price and leave the customer pleased with you, and having them tell all their friends and family, spreading the word then thats all the experience i want.

Having 30 years experience does not make you a better plasterer than any of us younger ones.

Hi chaps I'm back!

Well I'm 43 and I wish I was early 20s! ;D

;Totally agree Thomas

Ignore me............... bad day..........sick of it

The point is its a young mans game and by now i shouldnt be working like a dog day in day out ...i should be just driving around pricing up.

If its tips people want either never do it or if you do always use a float to flatten out your first coat.

I'm 22 and doing a City and Guilds plastering course, and trying to get as much experience and knowledge as I can.

I find these forums very helpful, ive learnt guite a lot from it :) Good work guys!

I'm 44 & been plastering since last april, doing my own new build house & other peoples remedial skims & some rendering. Short, fat & female & fighting other hassle than my age! its taken some work to convince my husband to start with that I can do this, but my results seem to speak for themselves, I'm just too slow, as yet. I've been a secretary/administrator for years & I prefer plaster to paper, fortunately I've got enough arm strength to plaster. Practice makes perfect???

thanks for the site, I'm finding it really helpful. Beware the nasties in the old artex is my tip

Barbi

Danny you gonna open another section for us over forties?
You could call it Darby and Joan! ;D

im 38!! tell u wat u need the body of a 19 year old and the brain of a 50 year old.. i was always told unless you have had at least 20 years in the game you cannot call yourself a true plasterer!! you need to be time served!!! when i was a young lad my spread said to me in the 80;s you wont live as long as all your friends in normal jobs! this job will kill you before all your friends!! he said you never see a brilliant plasterer alive late on in life!! tell u wat all these arseole criminals shud be made plasterers labourers!! that;d sort the bastards out!! never mind boot camp! let em try knockin up for a few gud spreads!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS SAY TO A 36YEAR OLD WANTING TO GIVE IT AGO IN PLASTERING IVE DONE A FEW FREINDS HOUSE SKIMMED ALL THERE ROOMS NOT A BAD FINISH EITHER. AND NOT REALLY MADE ANY MONEY LIKEOUT OF THEM. IVE ALSO SKIMMED MY OWN PROPERTY TOP TO BOTTOM AND HAVE HAD COMENTS ON IT BUT I REALLY BUZ OF THE SATIFACTION OF THE FINISH JUST THINK THAT I MAY HAVE THE NAC FOR IT /YES I KNOW ITS HARD WORK I KNOW AND IAM STILL WET BEHIND THE EARS AND DONT CLAIM TO A PLASTERING BUT REALLY WOULD CONSIDER LEAVING MY JOB TO TAKE THIS UP JUST FEEL THAT AGE MIGHT BE AGAINST ME IN THIS TRADE AND NOT PASSED ANY COURSE YET BUT THEN AGAIN IVE ONLY DONE FREINDS SKIMMED WALLS MIXED AND DONE ABIT OF BOARDING UP AND TAPE OFF. DONT REALLY HAVE ALL THE MAJOR TOOLS FOR THE WHOLE JOB BUT REALLY WOULD LIKE TO START DO YOU THINK I SHOULD START LIKE THIS Q1 GO ON COURSE Q2 GET SOME MORE SMALL JOBS PRIVATE
Q3 THEN TRY MY LUCK WITH SOMEONE

Status
Not open for further replies.