what is taping and jointing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

platinum

there's no way around it .... i've tried avoiding the question... searching on google.... but i might as well just ask????? what is it? what does it mean??? is it difficult? what equipment do you need?????...... whats the beneifits / downsides???? thanks in advance and sorry for asking what to most will be a obvious question.

basically its just putting compound on the joints of plasterboard then paper tape then feathering out each application its not hard but there is a knack too it

What it basically is covering plaster board joints with a commpound ready for decoration its no quicker and the tools needed are more expensive the skill level needed is lower than traditional plastering but too the house builder its better! and no one else except dry -liners

to be fair church, i know a gang of 2 that can do 2 1/2 medium sized houses in 5 days. if you've got the meterage taping is much quicker.

I remember at one point it was apparentley gonna take over and plastering was gonna be a thing for the museums :eek: but they all came to there senses in the end :D

Pug said:
to be fair church, i know a gang of 2 that can do 2 1/2 medium sized houses in 5 days. if you've got the meterage taping is much quicker.

agreed mate ..in a reluctant sort of a way ..... but not a better finish though .....lol

Pug said:
do you not think 2 spreads could do the same ? I do

Afraid to say this chaps but even BG say that plastering is dying out and that T&J is what will rule the world in 10 years or so. Soon as the publics perception of T&J is changed we will be classed as dinosaurs, well thats for the next century or so. TBH I think we will always have a job due to the domestic market where T&J cant always be used.

hi everyone this is my first post after lurking in the shadows so decided to sign up. I have been a plasterer for 14 years and thouroughly enjoy my trade, i dont think any other trade has the skill and job satisfaction as ours, when i first started as a lad i was amazed at how many people said that the trade had no future because dry lining was taking over. Little people realise that plastering was around in egyptian times and will be here long after we have gone, sure new methods have come and gone (artex) but as every good housebuilder will tell you, you cant beat float and set- solid walls, None of this paper drylining poo! even when the houses are stuck its so much better to have them skimmed, anyway, hello everyone go easy on me please! ;)

Well i'm a taper and jointer but I wouldn't have it in my house. Volume house builders like it because it's cheap, architects and environmentalists like it because you are using less water in the process, and most plasterers hate it because it is taking work away from them.

im on a tape jointing site.........never have i seen such a clean site, fealt guilty just taking my tools in!

spunkybum said:
im on a tape jointing site.........never have i seen such a clean site, fealt guilty just taking my tools in!

Hope you wiped you feet on the way in :D

markyspread said:
hi everyone this is my first post after lurking in the shadows so decided to sign up. I have been a plasterer for 14 years and thouroughly enjoy my trade, i dont think any other trade has the skill and job satisfaction as ours, when i first started as a lad i was amazed at how many people said that the trade had no future because dry lining was taking over. Little people realise that plastering was around in egyptian times and will be here long after we have gone, sure new methods have come and gone (artex) but as every good housebuilder will tell you, you cant beat float and set- solid walls, None of this paper drylining poo! even when the houses are stuck its so much better to have them skimmed, anyway, hello everyone go easy on me please! ;)
Ye i did them funny shaped houses at Giza, all the same them Egyptians , really screwed me down on price
Any way welcome :-* mate

hello church, i,m from hants down sarf mate! warrior when you did them funny houses in giza did they make you use the local sand? cos there was plenty of it ;D- would of been a bugger in hardwall!

When me and my bro used to do tapeing on big commercial jobs we use to earn so much money it was unreal, we would easily cover 250 m2 a day at £2.80 a meter by 2 o clock aswell, trouble is you need so much work to keep you going. But big commercial jobs like that where few and far between. we had to split our invoices up over a couple of weeks because it was to much to book in for one week.

We use to work good as a team.

Defferent on houseing sites now, theres far to many angles and internals to coat up, and a lot of flexing, my uncle use to basicly do a big 4 bed in nearly a day, just had to sand it the next day, and they never used a machine.

We looked at starting some tapeing on houesing site couple of months ago and they where paying £1.80 a meter supply.

I hate tapeing, so boreing, and not the same as looking back on a house you have skimmed compared to a house you have taped.

Plus we only needed one bucket 2 tapeing knives a hawk and trowel, snips, stanley knife, hammer, carry it all in a bucket, and stop when u want.

I think on one job we took home nearly £3000 each in a week, but that was huge big walls off a cherry picker, so high up we didn't have to sand, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.