What is fat??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlacheson

I have a question on paper from college to answer. What is 'fat' found on a skimming trowel?
I know it's a mixture of plaster and water, but there must be more to it than that. Help!

Thanks Bod, Say for instance I was trowelling up a wall or ceiling, after each stroke or two the trowel would have wet plaster on it, I've been told this is 'fat' and not to trowel it in as this would leave 'clouds' in the finish.

it'll only stay in the finish if youve got lots of hollows/tiger stripes otherwise it stays on youre trowel as youre going

richardbrown said:

Me too :'(

dlacheson said:
Thanks Bod, Say for instance I was trowelling up a wall or ceiling, after each stroke or two the trowel would have wet plaster on it, I've been told this is 'fat' and not to trowel it in as this would leave 'clouds' in the finish.

If it's on the first trowel and the plaster hasn't started setting then I'm happy to fill any gaps I've missed :-[
But once the plaster starts to set, even a little then I class it as fat and it goes into an empty bag.

Fat is what get Left on your trowel when your using to much water to late on in the set , its a by product plaster lighter in colour than freshly mixed plaster with higher water content , it also has the consistency of lard hences the word "Fat"

Status
Not open for further replies.