What have I done ????

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJK

Ok to briefly explain. 20 years ago I completed a 2 yr City & Guilds plastering course. On completion all went pear shaped in the industry with the big building recession and so due to unemployment I gave up plastering and went into engineering and welding but still kept an interested envious eye on what plasterers can earn and still keeping my hand in by doing plastering jobs for friends and family every now and then.

Fast forward 20 YEARS!!! and due to being laid off Ive found myself recently unemployed. While searchin for jobs I saw a vacancy for a plasterer and so decided to send a very honest e-mail regarding my experience and how long away from the trade I'd been, but still expressing an interest in being given a start on a considerably lower rate than an experienced bloke.

IVE ONLY GONE AND GOT THE JOB!!!

I start Monday and if honest am sh*ttin it as the property I'm working would have been better if levelled. Its a miracle it stands up. Just a mess of curved, half plastered half crumbled walls. New wiring and windows.....Oh and me

ANY ADVICE???

butttquote.png

Joking aside if they're starting you on considerably less then an experienced plasterer rate means there either looking for a champagne job done for lemonade money or are easing you into it gently on an improvers rate either way all you can do is your best.

First don't panic and try and pick a area of the property that you can manage on your first day and then you can see where all the problem bits will be and you work from that your first day will always be the worst it's just like any other job
Hope that helps you out and we'll done for getting the job

The more you worry about it the harder it'll be, and on the flipside of things the bigger ego you have about it the more of a donut you'll look if you make a mistake.

I learnt by skimming crap falling apart walls and its not all that bad, 99% of the time even if the skimming isn't the best the wall will always look better than what it did.

Take your time mate, you seem like a honest person, dont panic if you make a honest mistake, pva and more skim can always sort it.

YouTube is a good resource for educational plastering videos(y)
Check out r2d26969's channel.
ManHillside and the legendary dougies vids.
Also some big fella with pink ears does some awesome vids too(y).

Just ease yourself into it don't go mad throwing stuff on.You've been honest so don't worry.Best of luck.

its like riding a bike mate youll be fine :whistle:

if you havent already, get a pallet of easi fill and one of these

W40_PD_Sunday_UL3_f493839bbe.jpg

whats the worst that can happen?sack you?as long as you turn up everyday on time and don't let him down you'll be k rendering in a few weeks!

What a bunch of absolute stars. Thanks lads.

I'm glad I've been honest and he's even said the quality doesn't need to be perfect.

Gonna take the opportunity and smash it. Might not get another one and have spent to many summers in a boiler suit and welding helmet on for £9 an hour wondering what might have been.

Thanks again. Roll on Monday

I'm glad I've been honest and he's even said the quality doesn't need to be perfect.

Gonna take the opportunity and smash it. Might not get another one and have spent to many summers in a boiler suit and welding helmet on for £9 an hour wondering what might have been.

Good to see Bill Hicks make it onto a plastering forum.
Maybe that explains some of the work ive seen recently , done by Timothy Leary and the merry pranksters after a week drinking Kool-Aid

Pick the easiest walls first day if allowed to, if hacked off just sling compo on to dub out n rule off, get your confidence up with good preparation work before floating and skimming etc you`ll have your hand back in with first days laying on rough coats then ! Blame the mix if it goes a bit quick for you ;)

How are you getting on?,we're all starting to get a bit worried!.

Status
Not open for further replies.