What do I do!? Where do I start?

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIYscouse

We have moved into an ex-local authority 1920's house and are in the process of doing it up. Upon stripping back layers of wood-chip wallpaper, it became apparant that the plaster is not in good condition. Loads of it just crumbles off exposing the brick. There is no cavity wall so I am worried about the cold. When you tap the plaster some has clearly blown but the odd bit is OK. The plaster is easy to strip off. Patches have come off when I removed skirting.

What would you recomend?

Should I get rid of all the plaster back to brick and start again?

If so should I use insulated plasterboard... or should I just plaster straight onto the brick? Is that possible?

What do I do about damp proofing?

I am not a plasterer as you can tell so really need some advice!

Get a few local plasterers in to give advise, may post where you are and someone off here could take a look.

Post some picks to give a better idea and get some better advice.

Welcome along .............It depends on your current skill levels and what you intend to tackle yourself. It sounds like a candidate for some thermal boards :RpS_thumbup:

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Norwich. My skills are basic so will be getting someone in to do the work. Trying to upload pics but not working..

As said above ,get some local guys in to have a look ,if you say where your from some of the guys on here might help you out ,best of luck

agree with above...but would be good idea to ask plasterers giving
you prices for dabbing insulated board &skim

Lathe it, insulate between and board? If the backing plaster is shagged I wouldn't want to stick onto it. Save stripping it off and the mess it brings. Just a thought.
Insulated boards are quite expensive - though there are different thicknesses.

This is the third time this week ive read helpfull posts and i just cant take it anymore.............Im waiting for jeremy beadle and his dodgy hand to pop out......:-0

Speaking of the boy beadle...i reckon he's next to be caught up in the Saville enquiry

Bought a brilliant book today. It's called "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey - The Jeremy Beadle Guide to fisting".

Status
Not open for further replies.