What are the rules for inspecting and snagging finished plastering works?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

henry

Private Member
[h=3]Q: What are the rules for inspecting and snagging finished plastering works?[/h]
A: There is a lot of misunderstanding surrounding this topic, but the principles are simple. Work should typically be inspected from the middle of the room (or for larger rooms from around 2 metres away), looking directly at the surface (and not from an acute angle) and in the lighting conditions that will be present when the building is ultimately in use, or as close as can be approximated.

FPDC encounters many issues with people inspecting work using strong lights, standing close to the surface and viewing from shallow glancing angles; unsurprisingly, under these conditions even the tiniest little blemish is likely to be seen. This is not therefore considered a fair assessment of the workmanship and is not to be used as a snagging method.

We strongly recommend that you discuss inspection and final lighting conditions as early as possible with your client on a particular contract so that all parties are clear on expectations and what is realistic to produce; this avoids nasty surprises and conflict later. Read your contract documentation carefully to ensure that you are not agreeing to a method of scrutiny that proves impossible to satisfy,

Big thank you to you bubbles for posting a link to this magazine.

Be nice if we could get it from the White book too, who are the fpdc by the way you don't want anyone poo pooing it

I know but if you took it on site it could seem like a federation of master builder scenario you've got the sticker on you're van but it still means **** all it probably does mean a lot but it might not have any power because no ones heard of them
I still think you need in writing something from British gypsum who make the stuff

The problem is BG are the only game in town for plaster until an other finish plaster comes on the market BG are not going to stick there neck out. Lets face it it's just a way of chipping cash of you all on site.

I remember doin a job and the painters where told to scan the wall with a halogen lamp from about an inch away. Luckily everythin was sound

I remember doin a job and the painters where told to scan the wall with a halogen lamp from about an inch away. Luckily everythin was sound
id have told em to f of and smashed the halogen up then telling them that there banded lol

Status
Not open for further replies.