Wetherby EWI system ??

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gooner59

Private Member
Training | Wetherby Building Systems i stopped to speak to some guys fitting the wetherby EWI system on a big council estate today,on my way to walk the dog on the beach at port-talbot SW,there were houses at all stages some had just scaffolding, some with insulation ,some with base coat, some being dry dashed, and since work is slow for me at the mo ,and i have plastering skills i have started thinking of trying to get in on earning some cash,i have looked it -up on the nett and i must say it looks piss easy !! there is a one day course in wales for £150.00 i suppose i would have to do that to say i know what i'am doing any thoughts on it lads ?? i did say to the guy that on the forum lots of guys say there is no money in it but he said are you having a laugh i have coated two houses today that was about 3pm,when i mentioned m2 price he kept stum which was fair enough, any ideas what they pay for this sort of thing ?

theres no money in it for a one man band, unless you are principal contractor. and its the time of year, were nothing gets done due to the weather.

theres no money in it for a one man band, unless you are principal contractor. and its the time of year, were nothing gets done due to the weather.[/QUOTe

Have to disagree with you Owls..................you get out of it what you put in..............before contracting, i spent years making good money as 1+1 or 2+1 and sometimes think it would be cool to go back to those days, no hassle- just you, the tools and the graft to make your money.

We were subbing for an outfit last year for a bit, I had myself plus 5 other lads on site, by the time id paid the lads and every other costs i was coming out with very little, If you can cut the middle man out youve cracked it. We have a large project booked in for the spring next year and im the principal contractor on it, so im getting the full rate with out some middleman getting his cut, what ever they are paying subbies per metre they are creaming the same off for themselves for doing very little and to fuel there range rovers.

theres no money in it for a one man band, unless you are principal contractor. and its the time of year, were nothing gets done due to the weather.[/QUOTe

Have to disagree with you Owls..................you get out of it what you put in..............before contracting, i spent years making good money as 1+1 or 2+1 and sometimes think it would be cool to go back to those days, no hassle- just you, the tools and the graft to make your money.

maybe, but i guess everyones circumstances are going to be different.

Training | Wetherby Building Systems i stopped to speak to some guys fitting the wetherby EWI system on a big council estate today,on my way to walk the dog on the beach at port-talbot SW,there were houses at all stages some had just scaffolding, some with insulation ,some with base coat, some being dry dashed, and since work is slow for me at the mo ,and i have plastering skills i have started thinking of trying to get in on earning some cash,i have looked it -up on the nett and i must say it looks piss easy !! there is a one day course in wales for £150.00 i suppose i would have to do that to say i know what i'am doing any thoughts on it lads ?? i did say to the guy that on the forum lots of guys say there is no money in it but he said are you having a laugh i have coated two houses today that was about 3pm,when i mentioned m2 price he kept stum which was fair enough, any ideas what they pay for this sort of thing ?
You have nothing to loose ,if anything it will be a string to your bow

yep,
i wasnt trying to discourage him, i was just stating how it is, theres no such thing as easy money.

You ya arrogant shite he's up for a bit of site work and you're saying don't bother you're a one man band and by the way did you know I'm a principle contractor ......

You ya arrogant shite he's up for a bit of site work and you're saying don't bother you're a one man band and by the way did you know I'm a principle contractor ......

it wasnt the way i meant it as a render systems ego trip,
i mearly meant that more often than not if your coming at it, as a one man subbying angle your going to get shafted on meterage rates.
Who gives a monkeys what my position is, its an open forum where everyone gives there opinions and experiences, that was mine.
and less of the arrogant shite you tool.

There's thousands of subbys out there operating as one man bands might be worth thinking about that before you're ego takes over

with ewi work on concil properties you have to be very carefull. when we where doing housing in london every thing must be chained up, keep the genny away from a door this must be chained to the scaffold at all times or they will drag it into the house, you can knock all day they will not answer. lunch breaks must be split as you cannot leave anything ungarded. the paint will carry in the wind and a car that you thought was dumped, they will want it resprayed.
there is nothing worse the a one man band when you are dropping a huge flank on a block of flats to find someone has started through the middle. oh he can only scrim could you do the reveals and dash his area?
it is a battle from start to finish. you earn every penny that you get.

OK then if spreads are getting £11.50 m2 then the principal contractor will be getting £30 m2 ,so how do get the principal contract ? you take on 100 houses ?+ materials ...... i see council house with e-on sighn on it being used as an office .......are they the main contractors ?

There's thousands of subbys out there operating as one man bands might be worth thinking about that before you're ego takes over

thats just your asumption of me,
lads that i speak to off here on a regular basis and have worked with, will tell you im the least egotistical lad about.
i aint getting into some daft carry on with you, so ill leave it at that.

There used to be a guy on here a lot, with glasses was in to this in a big way i think he was from the north east, is he still around or is he up to this eyeballs in it now?

on london council contracts the work is given to the manufacturer of the ewi systems. no manufacturer will be given more then one contract at a time , this is to stop backhanders etc.
there are contractors that are familiar with several systems and they sub contract off the manufacturer

Im in southampton doing marmoroit for the funding. We hate just got unlimited funding po whoever comes on will get princible prices.labour only

I have been in this game for 40 years and it has not changed. The man who finances the job, who has the capital to buy the materials and pay the Main subby takes his cut and makes it worth his while. The man on the tools has to graft and only gets paid by the m2 and has to be self employed, own his own van and all the tools in fact everything but the materials.

When work is short then the rates get cut (to the subby) but do the main contractor cut their rates? I don,t think so they have to much to lose otherwise. And if the labour only subby doesn,t like the poor rates then he can always walk, there will be always some young desperate subby to jump in his place. I was once young, bread winner, mortgage payer and took what I could in the early recession hit 80,s when 40+ year olds refused to work for the rates. Now I am in that position but there again now wifey has a good job, sons independent and I have no debt so not that desperate. Would I do it again if I was in my 20,s, probably. Graft all day, go home knackered, sleep it off and do it all again tomorrow. You have youth on your side and your joints will never wear out. But the C!n*s I worked with in those recession hit days never seemed to struggle. Still ran around in Jags and pleaded poverty. My only advice to young spreads is do no more than 40 hrs and give your body time to recover. I did 7 days a week from 19 to 27 and then 6 days a week till 36 and it now shows. I was warned by my elders but did I listen? Whats more it was for wages rates. Still live in the same semi I bought in 83 surrounded by paye workers.

Still, when you are a principle contractor you are a business man with the aim of making money and if they have to exploit people then they will, thats the type of person they are. Me, not allowed to get away with it so keeping it simple, one job at a time domestic customers with 2 chuffs who annoy me to hell but you can lay them off as and when without hassle and they are there when you want them back.

OK then if spreads are getting £11.50 m2 then the principal contractor will be getting £30 m2 ,so how do get the principal contract ? you take on 100 houses ?+ materials ...... i see council house with e-on sighn on it being used as an office .......are they the main contractors ?

that is hearsay and small talk found in the corners of sites where the subbies huddle - trust me mate if they are marking up even more than 5% they are doing well

Well they are private owned houses.but on sone kind of benifits.and goverment are paying for it.so its a deal

Govt are not paying.

Your talking about affordable warmth, one of four sub sections of the green deal, it hasn't started yet, and the word is that funding may be delayed to allow for cert/cesp completion due to dec 21 st deadline not being met.

Did one of the first green deal customer service plus courses last week so there lol

Status
Not open for further replies.