Well I did my room, well closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbwzk09578

Well i have tried to plaster for the first time. I like DIY and this is one of those trades i have always wanted to have a go at. So after reading, watching and half a day with a pro i gave it ago. All i can say is you guys are super skilled. It looks difficult because it is!

How it turned out
Well...Not a bad first attempt but along way to go.
My main concerns are:
My flattening off is rubbish, plaster can be smooth but wavy with hollows.
Spending a very long time flattening off, and the result is not so good.
Some small shallow holes in plaster.

My mistakes I have identified so far are:
1. Did not pva my plaster boards, i know a pro does not need to do this, but i did it for some of the walls and it gave me more time to flatten the plaster off.
2. I might be appying the second coat too late.
3. I reused the first mix of plaster for my second coat because i mix too much and did not want to waste it. I bet your going to give me hard time about that one.
4. Need to reduce the angle of the trowel.

I
have taken a video of the result. I used easy fill to sort out / highlight the area's.
Please take the piss and maybe offer advice.
[video=youtube_share;C-e-wAmnfF4]https://youtu.be/C-e-wAmnfF4[/video]

In all fairness mate you done allright for a first attempt, it just takes practice to get it right every time, once painted up it should look fine. Also the same mix for 1st and 2nd coat is fine i do it all the time its just a posh 1 coat :)

Cheers dude, looking forward to having a go at a larger wall. :)

I am hoping that i can estimate my qty mixed for my first coat better, then mix a fresh batch for the second coat, again might give me more time to get the finish right. Yet saying that, i want to spend less time as it is taking me ages to plaster a small are.

Not bad for first attempt do you want a job :RpS_biggrin:

If you want more time use multi finish & do 2 separate mixes for 1st & 2nd coat that will give you plenty of time to sort it out if your doing 1 wall at a time.
And suppose you could pva the boards if you want, you'll need to where the joint filler is anyway.
:RpS_thumbup:

LOL, it was not joint filer. I bought my scrim tape from B&Q and it is super crap. It just falls off the wall, so any spare dri wall adhesive i had spare i just went over it. Another way I found to bend the laws of plastering.

Cheers for the nice comment lads, I think I will be one the big walls next week so more video. My Big aim in to eliminate the hollows, wavy plaster. Better flattening of the first coat, fresh plaster on the second coat.

Fingers crossed, I will require much less easy fill!!

Best to ask Casper what the best scrim to use is mate he is the master of scrim on the forum :RpS_thumbup:

Jeezus mate, you like talking dont ya eh! :RpS_laugh:

I'm glad you weren't in the van with me today on my 80 mile commute on those highland roads!

Last edited:
Only joking mate. I used to talk like a budgie when i started plastering too. Noo i just grunt :rolleyes)

LOL, did talk lots in that video, You want to see me after a few beers! I am also communicate very well grunting, but that's normally in the morning.

The safe contains about £20. I need to protect my mega fortune!!!!!

Was told Jewson own brand scrim tape was good stuff. Will get a role of that!!

Been thinking today that I might be laying the first coat on very thick. Could this be a cause of the hollows (Valley of death) in my work? I used 4 bags to do that small closet.

I think some more time with a pro would serve me well. If any one needs a labour for weekend work then I'm give me a shout. Sheffield/Chesterfield area.

Valley of death :RpS_biggrin:
Buy some thistle pro tape mate instead of bedding your cheap scrim on with dri-wall adhesive like you said you have done :RpS_thumbup:

At least for bags,

I was going to sing to the plaster, but I could not deal with the large cracks on top of those hollows.

I think I'll record the next skim, going through the whole process from pva to polishing. Will time lapse it otherwise the video would be a day long. I might only whistle requested tunes and grunt at the **** ups in my plaster work.

Thank you for the thistle pro tape tip, I'll not be buying B&Q own brand again.

Must have done :-0
That's what happens when you do a four bag closet you get the valleys of death seen it far to many times. :RpS_biggrin:

Think he must've been eating it aswell :-0
Looking forward to the next video bdkyjel06908

lol, I just mixed a bucket per wall. Not that the walls were big. :RpS_blushing: Next time i'll read the back of the bag for a coverage guide. As it was my first time, i just did not want to run out, but then my can't waste mentality kicked it, so i shoved it all on. Thing is, it did not feel like i was putting it on thick. How thick should your first coat be?

I did video putting the plaster on the first wall. I should upload it for you guys. I'll start uploading it now. Might strip the audio out first. :)

Not on the memory card. Must have downloaded it at work, put it on youtube Monday morning. Might time lapse it as you'll not notice me dropping it all over the floor.

Hey 'dbwzk09578'..(looks like a Poles private numberplate)......I'm guessing next time you do a cupboard you wont fill it full of fkin shelves first mate :RpS_laugh:

The room was 3' x 6' now it is 3" x 6".

I will not ask if you can skim over a skim.

Should be on the main bedroom soon, that's going to require a fair few bags of multi finish. It is 3.5m x 3.8m by 2.4m high. Two door ways, two medium windows. All four wall and the ceiling to do. So two questions. How many bags of multi will I use to compete this job? How many bags would it take you guys to do this job?

Gold star awarded to the person who gets my count correct. If i start now we should know in two weeks time if i work flat out.

Did you give yourself two coats as well when you did the ceiling :flapper: 4 bags :-0

If you skimmed over your skim you would stuggle even more mate, as it would suck in alot faster than the board.

Not bad for your first go though you'll have the other rooms looking like your best bit in the cupboard in no time, it's just having the confidence to go for it and lots of practice.

Lorry full of skim for the bedroom :RpS_thumbsup:

As promised....
[video=youtube_share;nKzjmkCx9-w]https://youtu.be/nKzjmkCx9-w[/video]

Had to speed the dam think up by x8.

I have painted it and i'm very happy with the outcome. The bag of easy fill did help though. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.