Well done the deed and bought a 1200mm Speedskim

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's loads of information on SpeedSkims already. Tread with caution or you'll open up a can of worms for no reason. Some people like them and some people don't. Simple as that.

:RpS_biggrin:

I used my speed skim with pole attachment for self levelling compound on old floors, very handy for this job beats reaching in with your trowel and waiting for areas to dry..I also use it now for flattening the first coat on all my walls and ceilings,it save my worn out arms a lot of RSI.

Rsi ?????
repetitive strain injury, I have osteoarthritis in my knee/left left, torn scapula muscle( we all have a tear in the scapula muscle) it depends on how badly its torn basically. I am trying to last another decade working or getting rich ..

johni you spoke to planners yet about that primer???
oh, I have to say No,due to the big push and the fact I had little time to fit it in, I chanced, SBR scud, then laying latex also with SBR in the mix, it is a risk I know but I told them already that I cannot guarantee it and that anyone I spoke to said its unsafe.the floor is been laid on monday, the site handed over on the 25th feb, we used £900 worth of materials between latex and sbr so its not a cheap fix if a fix at all.. I will have to get hold of your recommendation to see what they will say..I will add that the flat that was done completely had synthaprufe but it was laid in the 80's so I am hoping that is in favour of the adhesion and lasting quality of it..I really did not want to do this job..

Last edited:
Im still getting used to it myself, used it today for the first time flattening a few walls, Laid on with trowel as usual applied second coat flattened with trowel, gave it time to pick up then took the spat to them, let it pick up some more gave them another with the spat had a cuppa trowel'd the set down had food and polished up lol. Basically the same as i usually do just replacing my trowel with the spat made for easyer labour. As i said im still new to using one i have some decent size ceilings to practice on next week with my Pole attachment and ill let you know!

Yeah thats the ones, only dodgy thing i thought was the flexible blade just sliding it behind the fixed standard blade, gathers quite alot of muck in between the blades. Maybe im doing it wrong but it came with no instructions haha!

Toys r us2949037

Haha were u joking mate ???? U take the standard blade of and slide the flexi in... im sure u were joking . Do you own a speedskim ?? Iv got the eze spat and love it mate . Bin trying differnt ways of using it found the best for me is
1st coat flatten with speedskim
2nd coat flatten with speedskim
Leave to firm a bit then smooth with Eze spat
Leave to firm a bit more 10 - 15 mins then eze spat again, by this time the wall is looking lovly and could probally finish with one more pass with the spat but i do love my plazzie so
Finsh with maybe 2 passes with a plazi
Really nice finish . Oh im also finding i dont need any water with the spat like u would a wet trowel etc just seems to glide real nice smoothing .

Bigfatbuttplugs. Com 267787

Hi mate i used to use my 16 inch refina and also a 28 refina both now broke so i use my old trusty barton witch is about 11 inch now (bottom got chewed by my mates dog haha) . Think the barton leaves a better finish than the refina (personal opinion) 16 or 14 is a good size mate

Seems stupid now but when i first had it i thought the flexi blade was a bit flimsy so i just slid it behind the standard 1 haha worked well just the build up of muck between blades, all sorted now and i sliced my hand whilst changing the blades so advice to others: Be careful lol

I thought u were jokin mate haha. Yea them blades are very sharp cut my hand aswell mate so not just u geezer try a little wd40 or gt85 etc helps alot mate. If u used it with the standard blade still attached u probally didnt fully bennefit from the flexi blade there the b*ll***s mate im sure u will notice a differnce.

Used speedskim today awesome tool holds the water in defo slows drying process only thing will need the pole. was using on ceiling found myself pushing my fingers against blade pole will stop this but to be able to flat back that quickly is cool buying spat next week. only 28 years in the trade finally embracing new ideas is not a bad thing trust me.

Don't like the sponge thing myself always seems to leave the effect in the plaster cant feel it but looks crap or is it just me?

Me neither bud, I've tried it alsorts of ways when I was serving my time. A lot of men on here use them though with the speedskim and spat I haven't used a sponge float on skim in years so couldn't comment on speedskim, spat and sponge...

Last edited:
I am losing the plot here, speed means fast although bad means good and sick means good, does speed now mean slower? am I just too old, this language is confusing me...

I am losing the plot here, speed means fast although bad means good and sick means good, does speed now mean slower? am I just too old, this language is confusing me...

You got one John? I bought one with the pole attachment for ceilings which the labby can flatten behind me, it's means I can throw more on without having to drop back earlier and second coat while its still soft ie I can leave it for longer before I have to second coat. I don't use it to flatten the second coat as I'm sure you will agree by the time I've layed it down its very flat and has 0 hollows so there's not need to IMO.

i have the 1200 SS mean you can flatten a ceiling in seconds that's about it really you can't finish with it..

I think the Speedskim is a tool to accelerate the flattening-in process, I don't think it is meant to do anything to the plaster curing process:RpS_unsure:
We took delivery of our 1200 Speedskim today and early results are encouraging!
We have been using Refina Spats for a couple of months now and have found a massive reduction in 'trowelling-up', we have also found that we are able to put on bigger hits, knowing that we can flatten quicker with the Spats than we ever could with a trowel.
The 'Boss' has been in the game over 30 years and is a real 'old skool' plasterer, his initial response to me introducing Spatulas was not good but has now seen the benefits these 'new tools' offer.
So you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Status
Not open for further replies.