Weber monocouche, need advice pls

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pemrocks

Hi im planning to have the gable side of my 1930s house rendered, just brickwork currently. I would like to use weber products from advice found on this site.

Ive seen weber monocouche in white25kg for £9 ish (1sqm?). Is this a good price? and what does monocouche mean? Is it a 1 coat or can you do 2? id like to use mesh aswell.

Im planning to get a plasterer i know to apply the weber (not by machine).
what prep work is required/recommeneded?

Any advice is greatly appreciated thanks

I'd recommend getting some one with experience @keithuk @Rigsby among many others on here very skilled with this product. Monocouche translates simply as one coat although many of us apply it 2 passes. Mesh is recommended especially over stress points like around doors Windows

Last edited by a moderator:
Weber is not the only manufacturer of Monocouche. It can be done but being a 1930's house it will need a pre rend and Weber's pre rend would be called rend-aid. So this job would consist of two coats.

As for using a plasterer and hand applying I would check to see if he has proven previous experience. Get it wrong and it can look a mess?

Hi im planning to have the gable side of my 1930s house rendered, just brickwork currently. I would like to use weber products from advice found on this site.

Ive seen weber monocouche in white25kg for £9 ish (1sqm?). Is this a good price? and what does monocouche mean? Is it a 1 coat or can you do 2? id like to use mesh aswell.

Im planning to get a plasterer i know to apply the weber (not by machine).
what prep work is required/recommeneded?

Any advice is greatly appreciated thanks
I would not recommend your plasterer doing the job , unless he has experience with the product, if he has then bang it on ,i personally think you may be better of using someone that does it day in day out ,rather then a mate . Weber stopped making white about 3/4 years ago ,Chalk or silver pearl now , it will cost a lot for the materials ,so do it once and right ,IMO , best of luck :RpS_thumbup:

Thanks for your replies hes done some before using sand and cement, and k rend. Is it possible to use a sand and cement scratch coat with mesh then the weber on top?
He says itll take him 5 days for him aand his mate to do the job of about 70sqm on the gable and then i guess 10sqm on the front, the top is already been rendered (on the front). DOes that sound about right £120 day rate.

Set the beads and prep on first day. Spray panels next afternoon and cut back on third day,followed by clean down. Three days max on brickwork,depending on weather lol.

Thanks for your replies hes done some before using sand and cement, and k rend. Is it possible to use a sand and cement scratch coat with mesh then the weber on top?
He says itll take him 5 days for him aand his mate to do the job of about 70sqm on the gable and then i guess 10sqm on the front, the top is already been rendered (on the front). DOes that sound about right £120 day rate.
Using Sand and Cement as a scratch coat will invalidate any warranty and also draw out the process.

Thanks andy M, i was lookiong at rend aid, it says it can cover 7sqm per bag. Does that sound right in practice? Also anyone know a rough price its a bit late to ring up

5x £120 =£600
80 sqm / £600 = £7.50 a metre Labour only

thats cheap for labour only even if it does take 5 days to do.
but is cheap good ? only if work is good, I doubt any good monocouche guys would work for £7.50 a metre, there is your answer !

I never use sand and cement as a backing coat for mono so ask the rep first on application of the second product. Anytime we scratch with sand and cement we leave it for a week to cure before we put any top coats over it.

Rendaid the brick it will be much quicker than gauging up a sand and cement scratch coat. leave it for 3 days to dry minimum its all set for the monocouche.

things can go wrong with coloured render so be careful.

I have a full weber job to sort now that was done by a plasterer who told the customer how many years he had been rendering, then he did a full house with his mate. its shocking.

customer is currently got a solicitor on him for a full refund and cost of putting right also he was paid in cash so the inland revenue will probably end up investigating the said plasterer.

Paid in cash? Usually the deal is discount for cash but no paperwork in return. The customer gets what they want a saving of money and in exchange the renderer gets cash but no paperwork for tax reasons, that's the deal? Win win for both parties.

Now getting cash and giving a receipt or invoice then you putting your head on the chopping block.

There's no receipt rigs and no paperwork and no trace of earning.

But trust me no matter what you agree on if someone has paid over 7k for a job and its a mess they will do anything in their power to get it back. No unspoken handshake will change that.

The guy said to me I don't care if its declared or not I was told a price and I paid in cash. Its up to the plasterer weather he paid vat or income tax. He also said no matter weather I paid cash I still have a right to call back if its not right....

I have to say I agree. The other plasterer just has no intention of doing the job again so the customer has no choice but to go legal.

There's no receipt rigs and no paperwork and no trace of earning.

But trust me no matter what you agree on if someone has paid over 7k for a job and its a mess they will do anything in their power to get it back. No unspoken handshake will change that.

The guy said to me I don't care if its declared or not I was told a price and I paid in cash. Its up to the plasterer weather he paid vat or income tax. He also said no matter weather I paid cash I still have a right to call back if its not right....

I have to say I agree. The other plasterer just has no intention of doing the job again so the customer has no choice but to go legal.
It amazes me how many spreads take on Mono jobs with no experience and then go on to cock it up. Sounds like this bloke has just opened a whole world of **** for himself,

Ignorance is a powerful weapon if you can master it.

Getting legal is a war of words but proof of £'s paid can be difficult.

I don't do deals for cash as there are more legal ways of not paying tax. But for the punter who pay's cash to avoid vat or just a discount then they are taking a gamble and as for us more honest tradesmen the punter couldn't give a monkeys about us so sod them.

You pays your money and you takes your choice!

ive wrote it on here before, where lads go im a plasterer and never used the stuff cant be that hard etc, and I say leave it alone etc.
the amount of bad render jobs we have to rectify is un believable, still its all work for us I guess, so bolllacks to em let them tackle them.

Status
Not open for further replies.