Weber K-Rend Novice Questions

Members online

omoeko

Hi All.

My builder has recommended that we use K rend for my timber frame side and rear extension. He said although sand/cement is cheaper, the weather and the fact that its a timber frame which is subject to movement would mean K-rend is a better option (Avoid cracks).

My questions are as follows.

Are there any precautions to take when doing K-Rend
Is it really quick ?
I saw some K-rend photos and the walls were not smooth, any problems with a smooth finish wall option ?
He suggested Weber, I looked up thier website and there are not a lot of colours to choose from, is there an alternative to Weber ?

Thanks in advance.

Crikey you're a glutton for punishment! After your last thread I'll be surprised if you don't get a little tiny bit of hostility.

I do believe what you guys say, afterall you are the Pro's. I am just here to learn and educate myself so I can make informed decisions.

Ring a render manufacturer to get a render specification and get them to recommend an applicator and cut the builder out of the equation cos your builder hasnt got a scooby doo

Omoeko,we need a bit more info.
Is this an EWI enquiry or Render only.
What sheathing /carrier board will you be using over the timber frame ie plywood or a Cement particle board to install insulation or a render only board.

As is said before above. Get it specced by Weber, krend, parex or whichever manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone,

So this is what we have already.

Looking from the outside

• Membrame
  • 25mm Battens
  • Membrame
  • 12mm Ply
  • 100mm Studwork frame with 90mm insulation inside it
  • OSB 3 board on the inside
  • Insulated plasterboard

One supplier that I spoke to speced the following.
  • render board - EuroForm render board 12mm
  • LAC goes on the render board - 3mm thick
  • Then a layer of mesh -
  • Then 3mm of LAC
  • Weber Primer
  • Top coat - Acrylic top coat TF150

As for me, I have no preference. I just want something that would work well with the timber frame construction, not crack and flexibile enough for me to paint it if I wanted to.

The specification above, is that the cheapest option for this kind of system ? If the cheapest option will mean cracks, then I will stay away from it. I want the best value for money.

Thanks.

Thanks for the observation, is there a better option which offers better value for money ?
Also, this kind of rendering can it be done in the current weather we have ?
I also have brick at the bottom of my building, for like say 700mm from DPC, the previous owner painted it red, I intend to use Peelaway to remove some of the paint, wash it off and then paint in black Matt paint with the remainder of the wall from 700mm to about 2.4m which is covered in the old render (flakes off and in a bad state), then from the first floor to the first floor ceiling is timber frame as pictured below.

Can this same K-rend system go ontop of the rendered wall in cream, I believe that would first need to be hacked out right ?

house_exterior.png

Can’t see anything wrong with that myself.

Ok so you have a Weber spec , K Rend would be the same using HP12 render mesh and 3mm over the mesh and finish with TC15 and you can use that over the masonary areas if you use R7 acrylic .
You don’t have to paint the TC15 just pick a colour

Excuse my ignorance, what is the difference between K-rend and Weber, is it like Ford& Vauxhall, 2 manufacturers that make cars, both make cars just 2 different badges ?

Krend is a manufacturer same as Weber parex etc... krend is not a name for a finish but a lot of people think that a scraped or textured finish is called krend for some reason?

Excuse my ignorance, what is the difference between K-rend and Weber, is it like Ford& Vauxhall, 2 manufacturers that make cars, both make cars just 2 different badges ?
Something like that :D
Just the different fuel they are using - one runs with lime, the other with silicone. Different MPG as well tho